List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another powerful and damaging performance from Langford as we've become accustomed to this season.
Interesting that you are so positive about Harvey's game and were a little bit more subdued about Tobie's game, however, upon watching Harvey's touches (much obliged) I would've picked Tobie's game as the more complete game.
Seeing Tobie kick the ball from the back 50 into the midfield only to be marking the ball 12 seconds later in the forward 50 with the resulting goal was something else.

There is no way the Swans are sending back two 1R Draft picks with a contracted Warner.
They are getting a contracted TB back and paying only half his salary?

Comes down to a lot of things.
-if they think Warner is leaving or know they can’t afford him next year. Otherwise the best they will get offered is a pick probably in the 20s for the next 3 years.
-Freo don’t move their picks into 2025 draft.
- Warner and TB agree to go to those clubs.

I don’t think any of this happens unless all the above play out but we can’t do your plan and just go to the draft. We will be in a horrible cycle for a long time.

They are getting a contracted TB back and paying only half his salary?

Comes down to a lot of things.
-if they think Warner is leaving or know they can’t afford him next year. Otherwise the best they will get offered is a pick probably in the 20s for the next 3 years.
-Freo don’t move their picks into 2025 draft.
- Warner and TB agree to go to those clubs.

I don’t think any of this happens unless all the above play out but we can’t do your plan and just go to the draft. We will be in a horrible cycle for a long time.
The context was a stupid offer this year, that offer is what a stupid offer looks like. I hope no one connected to our club would be prepared to pull the trigger on an offer like that.

There’s no horrible cycle, we’re down the bottom, we get good picks so we select better players relative to the rest of the competition and climb back up the ladder. We can and will go to the draft this year.

Hey MM - I think all can see the game plan is less structured so to speak. It's about showing us what you have that got you drafted.

As there is no 2025 coach right now, the caretaker mode is to see who can play at the level. Good players will be good players under any coach show show us you're a good player.

I like the word liberation it's apt

Thanks though perhaps the question was misunderstood a bit - I was thinking more of the drafting aspect - how do you expect the recent and upcoming coaching changes to affect the process and selections? Hence my query as to whether things are a lot more open right now regarding what sort of players exactly ought be targeted. I wonder whether recruiters feel liberated too.

The context was a stupid offer this year, that offer is what a stupid offer looks like. I hope no one connected to our club would be prepared to pull the trigger on an offer like that.

There’s no horrible cycle, we’re down the bottom, we get good picks so we select better players relative to the rest of the competition and climb back up the ladder. We can and will go to the draft this year.
Hope no one at the club is selling all our players to just get into the draft like your plan. You can tell the supporters who don’t watch other clubs. Box score fans and I’ve got one here.

We are clearly going to the draft. Let’s hope that’s not the only play we have or we will be in real trouble for next year and 5 years time.

Hope no one at the club is selling all our players to just get into the draft like your plan. You can tell the supporters who don’t watch other clubs. Box score fans and I’ve got one here.

We are clearly going to the draft. Let’s hope that’s not the only play we have or we will be in real trouble for next year and 5 years time.
We’re selling one then 29 year old player not all of them stop being dramatic. We’ll have the opportunity to top up in the older age bracket via FA using our salary cap resource rather than draft picks. In the meantime we need to build a core group of young players that will be in their prime for when we’re contending again.

Maybe Tigers will look to combine Baker with Bolton and pick 1 for Reid.

Give it a couple of days and this will be in the media.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

We’re selling one then 29 year old player not all of them stop being dramatic. We’ll have the opportunity to top up in the older age bracket via FA using our salary cap resource rather than draft picks. In the meantime we need to build a core group of young players that will be in their prime for when we’re contending again.
Haha. Dramatic? Have you read any of your reply when people mentioned anything other than draft picks?

Interesting that you are so positive about Harvey's game and were a little bit more subdued about Tobie's game, however, upon watching Harvey's touches (much obliged) I would've picked Tobie's game as the more complete game.
Seeing Tobie kick the ball from the back 50 into the midfield only to be marking the ball 12 seconds later in the forward 50 with the resulting goal was something else.
I probably chug through too many of these to remain consistent in my appraisals. When I've finished editing and rendering the video, the final bit is slugging through the upload process and filling in all the bits on youtube which I find quite tedious, so often my description is just some barely coherent rambling of an impression off the top of my head that I give a quick once over to make sure I haven't insulted anyone too badly and it mostly makes sense, and when I post the videos here I just copy/paste my youtube description.

From memory, my main issue with Tobie was not his overall game which was great. I think I was trying to convey how I felt the move into the midfield was going for him, and specifically assessing his stoppage work. There's plenty of potential there for sure, its just that at the moment he's not a smooth operator at stoppage in an attacking sense. He's brutally effective defensively and that's a large part of the craft. But with the best mids, they're active and in motion as the ruck tap drops and trying to anticipate the drop zone, hitting it at pace and bursting clear for a damaging possession. With Tobie at the moment he starts flat footed, and then is always reacting to what's happening around him rather than being proactive. It results in a lot of scrappy play without a lot of easy and clean disposal to release his teammates or burst clear himself.

At least, that's how I'm seeing it right now.

Thanks though perhaps the question was misunderstood a bit - I was thinking more of the drafting aspect - how do you expect the recent and upcoming coaching changes to affect the process and selections? Hence my query as to whether things are a lot more open right now regarding what sort of players exactly ought be targeted. I wonder whether recruiters feel liberated too.

Recruiters will go about their normal operations collecting information and forming opinions.

Nothing much changes its only towards the end where a coach gets involved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. Dramatic? Have you read any of your reply when people mentioned anything other than draft picks?
Yes, by turning one player into an entire squad you are by definition being dramatic.

I’m happy to trade 2/3 for Warner, would have been happy to trade 22/23 for Busslinger, would have been happy to trade our R3 for Garcia or Davies, would be happy to trade 58 for Kaleb Smith.

I don’t think we’re in a position to be burning draft picks by paying stupid amounts for players whereas you obviously do which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Barrass and pick 3 for Warner and pick 20 would be cool. Reid, Warner, Hewett good starting three for several future years.

Suspect he's freo bound tho unfortunately. In that case, Barrass and pick 23 for picks 9 (Collingwood) and 15 (Port/Freo).

Offer pick 15 for Baker, use picks 3 and 9 in the draft.
Wait, are you suggested Barrass is Freo bound? Not Warner?

He’s surely the last expensive player they could possibly need, their most stacked and settled position is their key backs, and there’s elite mids or small forwards on offer in Warner and Bolton which could put them over the top of flag contention.

I wanted Trew to play more games earlier in the year and have been keen on him over the last couple years but I think too many seem to rate him alot higher than me. For me his best footy is inside not outside or not balanced. Unfortunately even as a 22 year old he ain’t big enough to play there and there’s better players currently running through there. Don’t mind if he stays but also won’t be sad or mad if he is moved on.

I wanted Trew to play more games earlier in the year and have been keen on him over the last couple years but I think too many seem to rate him alot higher than me. For me his best footy is inside not outside or not balanced. Unfortunately even as a 22 year old he ain’t big enough to play there and there’s better players currently running through there. Don’t mind if he stays but also won’t be sad or mad if he is moved on.
Simpson should have either cut him from the list, or given him the opportunity.
Very poorly managed.
He has the cleanest most creative hand passing, I hope we give him every opportunity over the last 3 games of the year.
It also would be interesting to see him at the feet of an AFL ruckman that can at least break even in the taps too.

Yes, by turning one player into an entire squad you are by definition being dramatic.

I’m happy to trade 2/3 for Warner, would have been happy to trade 22/23 for Busslinger, would have been happy to trade our R3 for Garcia or Davies, would be happy to trade 58 for Kaleb Smith.

I don’t think we’re in a position to be burning draft picks by paying stupid amounts for players whereas you obviously do which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Haha. Allen, Snake and Ryan ect ect haven’t been traded on here by the draft mafia?

Once again and hopefully for a final time, depends what you call burning picks.

Of course everyone in entitled to their opinion, you were the one to get upset and went with the BF oldie but a Goldie ‘ i HOpE yOu DOn’T hAvE ConNeCtiOns aT tHe clUb’

Haha. Allen, Snake and Ryan ect ect haven’t been traded on here by the draft mafia?

Once again and hopefully for a final time, depends what you call burning picks.

Of course everyone in entitled to their opinion, you were the one to get upset and went with the BF oldie but a Goldie ‘ i HOpE yOu DOn’T hAvE ConNeCtiOns aT tHe clUb’
I think it’s reasonable to suggest trades on a draft and trade board yes and I said about 5 posts ago what burning picks looks like and you weren’t happy with that.

The “no you are” arguments on your last two posts are inaccurate and frankly a bit childish so it might be your bedtime.

We need speed through the middle of the ground so both Baker and Bolton help with that by rotating through.
Bolton would suit our forwardline more than Baker would fit our backline (we have Cole and HJ already).
Bolton would be too expensive though and i'm not sure we have the draft capital / salary to chase too many players.

Simpson should have either cut him from the list, or given him the opportunity.
Very poorly managed.
He has the cleanest most creative hand passing, I hope we give him every opportunity over the last 3 games of the year.
It also would be interesting to see him at the feet of an AFL ruckman that can at least break even in the taps too.
Agree he should have gotten ago much earlier when he was knocking down the door. That said I’m just not sure he’s AFL quality. His hands are good especially in tight but he just ain’t big oe strong enough to play inside where that trait is best utilised. His ball use by foot ain’t great. He’s sorta like Ledwards in a way. Ledwards got great poise in tight but again ain’t big or strong to be an inside player and is too slow and not skilled by foot to he outside

I think it’s reasonable to suggest trades on a draft and trade board yes and I said about 5 posts ago what burning picks looks like and you weren’t happy with that.

The “no you are” arguments on your last two posts are inaccurate and frankly a bit childish so it might be your bedtime.
It’s a draft board so yeah that’s what you would expect. When someone doesn’t agree the tears and tantrums ain’t great but expected by some. Throwing out little jabs and then cops one back and the tears flow again. 🤣

Oh only the person who throws out the first ‘insult’ isn’t childish. Gotta ya EV ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back