List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to be more optimistic with Chess, he's shown glimpses of why we drafted him. His first year was ruined by being tunnelled by the purps, hopefully 2025 coach plays him in a role thats not a dead wing.
I'm hopefully he comes on in waves after a slow start aka Shep.
If Elijah overcomes his feet issue after this deload he's gonna be jet, have faith man

If they both come good it'll be massive for our rebuild.

I don't follow the gameplans of other clubs all that closely, is the gimp wing unique to us or do all clubs have a midfielder racking up 6 touches a game because the ball never comes near them? Not just a Chesser issue either, it's whoever they dump there, whether ridiculously out of position like a Brander, or only slightly so.

If they both come good it'll be massive for our rebuild.

I don't follow the gameplans of other clubs all that closely, is the gimp wing unique to us or do all clubs have a midfielder racking up 6 touches a game because the ball never comes near them? Not just a Chesser issue either, it's whoever they dump there, whether ridiculously out of position like a Brander, or only slightly so.
This is a point, that has often been missed when people on this board have been judging Chesser. Other's have been played in the role throughout through the year. Hunt, Maric, LEdwards, Hall on the weekend. None of these guys have had high possession, high impact games.

All clubs use wings differently, but it is essential that if you want to be a high possession wingman, you need a tank that allows you to run goal square to goal square and impact both defensively and offensively.

A new coach needs to identify, who is likely to be our wings in 2025, and building their tank is the number 1 priority. They also need some good game sense and the ability to get into damaging spots, to get used in transition.

Langdon, Acres, Josh Daicos and to a lesser extent Sharp are examples of players being super fit and able to run both ways at high speed, through 4 quarters. It is no coincidence that they are high possession players and their clubs game plan allows them to collect the ball.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Media get most rumours from bigfooty. Sadly this wasn't one :(

BOND 007 -- how are you feeling watching some of our unknown quantities and youngsters step up and have a crack? Must be enjoyable to watch from your vantage point?
Absolutely - to see the joy when they are first selected then come off knowing they have contributed is wonderful.

Some have natural swagger others are more reserved but to have them thank you for helping them live their dream is really fulfilling and makes you proud like you're their dad.

Media certainly trying to manipulate the Eagles into making some dumb choices.

The idea of Baker being worth a first is so bizarre to me. Sure he is a good player but isn't a star, second round pick at best. And Tigers should be stoked with that.

Screw embarrassment, club should 100% apply for assistance. Those picks can unlock some deals for us without losing actual draft pick capital. No brainer, gimme.

Hawks 1st and 2nd is the easiest deal ever for Barrass at current standings. Hawks will win 2 more games you'd expect, will go close to winning all remaining fixtures which changes those picks a bit.

I really want this club to go into the draft with 5 top 30 picks. If we can achieve that we'll go a long way to being where we want to be sooner rather than later.

Good to see that FOS is going to play a game of VFL. Hope he tears it to pieces.
We both do otherwise I might have to put you on ignore! Hope he shows enough to go at pick 3 but not enough to go at pick 1. Ideally he has a fantastic game but Jagga has a better one.

I'm starting to think just talk TB and Harry into signing and take Draper.

Keep it simple Eagles!

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would much prefer the club trade Barrass for pick 9/10 and 27.

That would leave us with McGovern, HEdwards and Bazzo as our main 3 key key backs.

Gov realistically wont play 23 games next season, but we should be hoping that Bazzo and HEdwards are capable of holding down our backline at times next year.

That gives us Draper at 2/3 - standout mid to compliment Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett and others.
Travglia at 9/10 - running half back that can eventually become a top line mid. Clear lack of talent in this area on our current list.
Mraz at 27 - To develop under McGovern, Bazzo and HEdwards.
Champion - bid matched, later in draft

Baker for 23.
English and Graham as Free agents.

2025 team
FB - Hough HEdwards Bazzo
CHB - Duggan McGovern Ginbey
W - Cole Yeo Maric
HF - Hewett, Allen, Baker
FF - JWilliams Waterman Ryan
R - English Kelly Reid
INT - Travaglia, Draper, Graham, Hunt, Long

Brockman, Flynn, Cripps, Chesser, Johnston, Dewar, Darling, Hall, Hutchison

Feel like this sort of line up has a really nice blend of youth and experience

11 of the listed 23 under the age of 25. Some quality experinced players and some nice depth blend of youth and experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We both do otherwise I might have to put you on ignore! Hope he shows enough to go at pick 3 but not enough to go at pick 1. Ideally he has a fantastic game but Jagga has a better one.
i don’t want 15-18 bland touches it just leaves me still in no man’s land lol. Boom or bust plz. I’ll be quite happy if my doubts over him disappear and you say I told you so.

Oh No Omg GIF by WWE

Can Harry Edwards be resigned pronto, should be our number 1 priority regardless if Barrass does stay.

Swapping Barrass for effectively Baker is so meh, no thanks.

IMO the Graham over compo and pick 23 does it.
Goss reporting Snakes extension announced within the next week. They love a group announcement and hopefully HEdwards is too.

Say TB decides he is staying and HEdwards then wants out. What’s his trade value? Being OCC

Goss reporting Snakes extension announced within the next week. They love a group announcement and hopefully HEdwards is too.

Say TB decides he is staying and HEdwards then wants out. What’s his trade value? Being OCC
Depending on what he is offered, if the mail I got that Melbourne are offering him a 4 year deal, I think asking for their pick 38 or F2 would be reasonable.

I would much prefer the club trade Barrass for pick 9/10 and 27.

That would leave us with McGovern, HEdwards and Bazzo as our main 3 key key backs.

Gov realistically wont play 23 games next season, but we should be hoping that Bazzo and HEdwards are capable of holding down our backline at times next year.

That gives us Draper at 2/3 - standout mid to compliment Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett and others.
Travglia at 9/10 - running half back that can eventually become a top line mid. Clear lack of talent in this area on our current list.
Mraz at 27 - To develop under McGovern, Bazzo and HEdwards.
Champion - bid matched, later in draft

Baker for 23.
English and Graham as Free agents.

2025 team
FB - Hough HEdwards Bazzo
CHB - Duggan McGovern Ginbey
W - Cole Yeo Maric
HF - Hewett, Allen, Baker
FF - JWilliams Waterman Ryan
R - English Kelly Reid
INT - Travaglia, Draper, Graham, Hunt, Long

Brockman, Flynn, Cripps, Chesser, Johnston, Dewar, Darling, Hall, Hutchison

Feel like this sort of line up has a really nice blend of youth and experience

11 of the listed 23 under the age of 25. Some quality experinced players and some nice depth blend of youth and experience.
Hopefully Gettable mail is correct and we can get Garcia as well. Say for Bailey Williams.

Those blokes missing out would make the WAFL very competitive and go a long way into development.

A sad as it is, English is now a big key to this or Flynn comes good or we find a competitive ruck from somewhere.

Starting to look very competitive and great balance. With a good game plan and standards lifted, should be good viewing in 2025.

Brought to you from the same brains trust who championed "they won't take Harley" and "they shouldn't take Harley"
Don’t listen to their newest pod. Even Melbourne channel 7 main man goes in for the bash a week after a youngest showed some great signs. How to get Harley out of Perth, no coach wants the gig ect ect

i don’t want 15-18 bland touches it just leaves me still in no man’s land lol. Boom or bust plz. I’ll be quite happy if my doubts over him disappear and you say I told you so.
Don’t think any part of our FOS discussion has been disrespectful, just a couple of different opinions both of which are based on reasonable observations so I’d have no desire to drop an I told you so even if he has the game of his life. I just hope he shows that he’s a pick 3 with a high floor and high ceiling if we hold the pick.

Will actually be paying a bit more attention to a few different parts of his game based on what you’ve said and WCE_phil thoughts that he’s a HBF which can only be a good thing for player analysis. Have to be able to criticise the weaknesses as well as appreciate the strengths of the player.

Last edited:
Good to see that FOS is going to play a game of VFL. Hope he tears it to pieces.
We may also see Travaglia get some VFL action this weekend, but as of Sunday it wasn't confirmed whether he would play for an AFL affiliate club at that level or go back to Sandhurst for the bye.

I like this part (talking about pick 3)

However, the Eagles would not put that selection on the table for Baker despite leading the race for him

But I hate this part

Enter Barrass, who would fetch a first-round pick that could be flipped to the Tigers – but West Coast would need to know Edwards was staying.
Definitely don’t want to trade Barrass in order to recruit Baker. That would be derelict.

I don’t mind recruiting Baker but I wouldn’t want to pay a high second round pick for him let alone a first.

Baker for Barrass? Where are these people coming from. Obviously, they haven’t seen much of Barrass.
TB is a major piece for a potentially contending team, Baker is a role player.

Along with not respecting us, they think we are stupid. I’d be appalled if the club did this.
Baker for HEdwards is closer to the mark.

Definitely don’t want to trade Barrass in order to recruit Baker. That would be derelict.

I don’t mind recruiting Baker but I wouldn’t want to pay a high second round pick for him let alone a first.

Baker for Barrass? Where are these people coming from. Obviously, they haven’t seen much of Barrass.
TB is a major piece for a potentially contending team, Baker is a role player.

Along with not respecting us, they think we are stupid. I’d be appalled if the club did this.
Baker for HEdwards is closer to the mark.
Could be a great option if TB says he doesn’t want to leave.

Media certainly trying to manipulate the Eagles into making some dumb choices.

The idea of Baker being worth a first is so bizarre to me. Sure he is a good player but isn't a star, second round pick at best. And Tigers should be stoked with that.

Screw embarrassment, club should 100% apply for assistance. Those picks can unlock some deals for us without losing actual draft pick capital. No brainer, gimme.

Hawks 1st and 2nd is the easiest deal ever for Barrass at current standings. Hawks will win 2 more games you'd expect, will go close to winning all remaining fixtures which changes those picks a bit.

I really want this club to go into the draft with 5 top 30 picks. If we can achieve that we'll go a long way to being where we want to be sooner rather than later.

Shit is embarrassing. This goes back to last year when the media were pretty much demanding we trade pick one for Curtin and a bag of chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back