List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
A sad as it is, English is now a big key to this or Flynn comes good or we find a competitive ruck from somewhere.
As much as I dont like backing rucks to fix midfields, I think you're right.

After a pretty decent showing on Friday night the one glaring problem with the game was that BWill got his backside paddled all night by the GCS rucks. Frankly it was embarrassing, and would have left a lot of us wondering how much better we would have looked in the middle/ in congestion if we had a ruck would could at least break even with his opponent and put the ball where our mids wanted it.

Bailey as a ruck has failed. Im sad for it because he is a god-honest trier and puts his all into the craft, but he's gonna end his career as a stop-gap whipping boy who covers for injuries. We need to replace him with an actual ruck, and we should be looking for a "best available" situation in the offseason - thats gonna be English.

Actually I reckon the club has a view a little like mine which is "I'm not sure"

Yes WC could do with a free hit at a couple of players like North did. And this is an outcomes based industry, so anything that can help achieve a good result should be considered. And I'm sure any embarrassment will be forgotten if we win a flag.

But on the flip side I actually think there is talent on the list it just needs to be developed and Im not sure that has happened recently.

What do you think has gone wrong in recent years that led to such poor player development?

Because I think we can all see there's players on the list who have more talent than they've been able to show, for whatever reason (eg Chesser, Burgiel, Barnett). And injuries only explain so much.

Are you concerned about said players? Burgiel and Barnett in particular this season have looked like going from highly rated picks to likely busts.

Pretty clear Simpson just didn't rate him at all
I don't think Simpson rated general midfielders particularly highly.

I don't think Trew is a world beater but his hands are sufficiently better than Gaff and Sheed under pressure.

For a contracted Warner I think the Swans would want pick 2/3 and Barrass, which I would rationalise as what I think we’ll get for Barrass which is pick 10 and 28.

So Warner would cost pick 2/3, 10 and 28 this year.

Which would be Warner for Draper/FOS, Travaglia and O’Farrell.

No thanks.
That's irrational to think that way.

They are different entities

Warner
younger
still hasn't proved anything
One yr left on contract
Midfielder dime a dozen

Worthy of a couple firsts.

Barrass
Older
Proven worth
Highly sought after positionally - rare as hens teeth
Long contract still

If both were to be traded this year separately, the picks wouldnt be that dissimilar for what each clubs gets for that asset.

You say 10 and 28 for barrass. I say that's not enough. They want him, compel us to trade.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely don’t want to trade Barrass in order to recruit Baker. That would be derelict.

I don’t mind recruiting Baker but I wouldn’t want to pay a high second round pick for him let alone a first.

Baker for Barrass? Where are these people coming from. Obviously, they haven’t seen much of Barrass.
TB is a major piece for a potentially contending team, Baker is a role player.

Along with not respecting us, they think we are stupid. I’d be appalled if the club did this.
Baker for HEdwards is closer to the mark.
Do yourself a favour and don’t read the Baker or TB threads then…

Warner
younger
One yr left on contract
Midfielder dime a dozen

Barrass
Older
Proven worth
Long contract still

If both were to be traded this year separately, the picks wouldnt be that dissimilar for what each clubs gets for that asset.

You say 10 and 28 for barrass. I say that's not enough. They want him, compel us to trade.

Sorry what’s irrational exactly? If you can’t find a common index to value players (in this case draft picks) no trades would ever get done. Or are you saying Barrass and Warner would almost be a straight swap?

Warner
younger
One yr left on contract
Midfielder dime a dozen

Barrass
Older
Proven worth
Long contract still

That is a very Eagles-coloured view of the comparison. Premierships are won in the midfield, A-grade midfielders will always be worth more than even A-grade defenders. And the difference between being at the start of your peak and nearing the end of your peak is probably the mot important reason why Warner is worth more than Barrass.

As much as I dont like backing rucks to fix midfields, I think you're right.

After a pretty decent showing on Friday night the one glaring problem with the game was that BWill got his backside paddled all night by the GCS rucks. Frankly it was embarrassing, and would have left a lot of us wondering how much better we would have looked in the middle/ in congestion if we had a ruck would could at least break even with his opponent and put the ball where our mids wanted it.

Bailey as a ruck has failed. Im sad for it because he is a god-honest trier and puts his all into the craft, but he's gonna end his career as a stop-gap whipping boy who covers for injuries. We need to replace him with an actual ruck, and we should be looking for a "best available" situation in the offseason - thats gonna be English.

FWIW the last time Witts played against English (Rd 11 last year) it was 51 hitouts to Witts and 22 to English

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what I am saying. They would almost be a straight swap.

The context was what would the Swans price be for Warner at the end of this year. I said I thought it would be Barrass and our R1 which I don’t think is irrational to think at all.

Would I pay it? No. THAT would be irrational.

What do you think has gone wrong in recent years that led to such poor player development?

Because I think we can all see there's players on the list who have more talent than they've been able to show, for whatever reason (eg Chesser, Burgiel, Barnett). And injuries only explain so much.

Are you concerned about said players? Burgiel and Barnett in particular this season have looked like going from highly rated picks to likely busts.

Probably a combination of things
-- it's really hard to play well and develop in the WAFL team over recent years. Just too little talent to play a style and becomes every man for himself scenerio
-- Simmo having certain views on players & what he was trying to achieve at AFL level

Development isn't linear and so I think supporters need to accept that. And some come on quicker than others.
Burg's repetitive injuries are not ideal but if he can get them right and I think you will see the player he can be. Barnett has regressed slightly but he's learning new skills and for a young big man that takes time

-- it's really hard to play well and develop in the WAFL team over recent years. Just too little talent to play a style and becomes every man for himself scenerio
-- Simmo having certain views on players & what he was trying to achieve at AFL level

Development isn't linear and so I think supporters need to accept that. And some come on quicker than others.
Burg's repetitive injuries are not ideal but if he can get them right and I think you will see the player he can be. Barnett has regressed slightly but he's learning new skills and for a young big man that takes time
Nice to hear some positive thoughts on Burgiel and sounds like he’ll be around next year, if he can stay fit he’s got a great skillset for what we need.

Tom Clurey would be a great get, insofar as we need cheap on-field leadership. Another development coach. This is the sort of player-development move our club needs.

So who is this 30yo Port Adelaide defender with a year to go on a contract that we are into? Never heard of him

Out of favour. SANFL 2 yrs

Tom cluery

Used to regularly do a really good job on Kennedy when we played them.

Surprised he’s only 30, and that he’s still on their list. He’d be purely depth though.

Simmo didn’t think young players were ever ready. And has his favourites who have never let us down too many times in the past….except the last 3 years.

I think he likes players who can play multiple roles and trew isn’t one of those. At least from my armchair view.

I'm starting to think just talk TB and Harry into signing and take Draper.

Keep it simple Eagles!

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
To then have Harry sit in the WAFL while ann ageing Gov and Barass hold the fort and then depart before we’re in contention again?

No thanks

Draper alone isn’t going to improve the list. Get ruthless and get some more draft capital ffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back