List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the rookie draft or late picks i reckon taj stanley plays wafl from nt
Taj Stanley should be drafted. He just oozes class and is as hard as a cats head. Can play forward, mid or half back. His forward 50 pressure is as good as it gets. A well travelled young man who is so dedicated to his craft. Deserves to be picked up in the draft.

Makes my head hurt every time i hear suggestions about trading for Curtin.

He's shown nothing at Afl level and quite frankly we've dodged a bullet. Would've been a Brander mk2.

Draper's a gun, why give him to Adelaide instead of taking him for ourselves.

Adelaide had their chance for this pick last year but instead chose a kid that they may be having second thoughts about.

Tim English is a terrible ruckmen. Good footballer. But probably the worst tap ruckmen in the league.

I think it was Xav Ellis said he hadn't won a hitout contest all year.
Which is largely a moot point in the most damaging ruck discussion. Listen to Daniel Hoyne at champion data discuss this a couple week ago. As far damage around the grounds he is second behind gawn. The best three tap rucks being the least influential and damaging for their teams. He goes onto to say how nicnat was the unicorn whereby he was not only best Tap ruck but also most damaging with his clearances, contested footy around the ground. It seems now that you're either an elite tap ruck but don't offer much around the ground or visa versa. Gawn being the only current player that ticks both boxes.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

With attempting to re-sign H.Edwards it probably doesn’t help that we don’t have a coach locked in for next year, so it’s hard to gaurantee that he will play

Build the midfield to unreal status and bandaid all other issues please and deal with them when we have 20 good mids to rotate

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is exactly my sentiment. Winning the ball at the contest, the ability to move the ball and defend oppo ball movement is the key. We have had the best spine for years, nicnat, Kennedy, Barras gov darling and it didn't make a shred of difference for the last three years. Our inability to defend ball movement and our inability to generate inside 50s is why we get pumped. They are the players you target for when the finals window opens up.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any idea how he's been going in the WAFL?

Did well in the championships.
He’s been killing it. Really stands out in the colts comp and made his ressies debut last week. Had 13 possessions and 6 marks from the stats. His tackling pressure is elite. Think he had six tackle efforts.

Id like to think like most that Bazzo > H.Edwards anyway would we not?

If H.Edwards goes also we can then just keep Callum Jamieson and hope he has a injury free year. Backups beyond that can then be your Maric/A.Reid people

We dont need Clurrey or H.Edwards. We are not trying to win a flag here, nor does our defense necessarily need any more experienced help. Our defense is fine without either of them

If H.Edwards unlocks Baker trade then lets do it.

We get them both players and the Tigers in a room together and and say here’s the deal are you boys in or out?

And if Graham says yes but Baker says no? We change the offer in front of him or say no to him?

Not sure you can put that sort of pressure on Baker either. He would be responsible for his mate losing 100k a year or whatever if he doesn’t choose us.

Could easily sign up a more mature defender who's of the same standard as Harry Edwards... In the preseason draft or something... Hasn't really shown too much to get a massive pay rise... If infact they are giving him a contract extension at all

You don't need to manipulate the draft to achieve all this.

You simply trade 3 and 10 for 4 and Dan Curtin.
What's this obsession with Curtin?

I feel we dodged a bullet with him . Doesn't want to play as a key defender and not 1st round worthy as a mid.

Let him play his 3 year rookie contract and see where he is at . He could end up a bust . Better to let crows take the risk

Thank **** crows saved us from ourselves

I feel we dodged a bullet with him . Doesn't want to play as a key defender and not 1st round worthy as a mid.

Let him play his 3 year rookie contract and see where he is at . He could end up a bust . Better to let crows take the risk

Id say he is a certain 200 gamer really. No chance he doesnt make it in my eyes so people want that certainity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** no to Curtin. Complete asinine. I'm less certain of Curtin then last year.

We don't even know if he will make it as mid. We know Draper will. Curtin is a risk. In fact, smillie has shown he can make it as a tall mid better better Curtin.

Id say he is a certain 200 gamer really. No chance he doesnt make it in my eyes so people want that certainity.
Do you think smillie will make it? Because he's a tall mid that played as a tall mid in draft year.

**** no to Curtin. Complete asinine. I'm less certain of Curtin then last year.

We don't even know if he will make it as mid. We know Draper will. Curtin is a risk. In fact, smillie has shown he can make it as a tall mid better better Curtin.

Do you think smillie will make it? Because he's a tall mid that played as a tall mid in draft year.
I think Curtin has versatility and athleticism to play more positions, more so than most other top 10 picks . I’d say at worst he becomes third tall defender in the mould of say Jordan Ridley

I think Curtin has versatility and athleticism to play more positions, more so than most other top 10 picks . I’d say at worst he becomes third tall defender in the mould of say Jordan Ridley
No at worst any more. Crows have given up on Curtin as a defender. Full stop.

He's no longer versatile. Mid or bust. I rate crows development people over ours.

I get the temptation to lump Baker and Graham together but its not really Richmonds choice if Graham comes to us. If he comes to us it is because we have already put an offer in front of him, independent of any trade. I don't see how we can base his remuneration on a hypothetical trade for Baker. Do we give him two offers one for if we get baker and one for without? Not sure a player or agent would be too keen for that.

Or do we just rescind our offer for Graham if Baker declines? That doesn't sound like dealing in good faith either.
Plus if Graham accepts and Baker says no, then we've overpayed for a player and diluted our own draft hand due to compo picks.
Our offer for Graham shouldn't net them band 3 compo .

Its more of a case of Graham lucks out and gets an extra 150k a year over 3 years so we can fudge the system and get Baker for cheaper .

Or Richmond can just take band 4 compo pick 42 for Graham and try play hardball for Baker.

But at the end of the day the extra they get for playing handball with Baker is cancelled by the average FA compo for Graham.

Not sure where Baker fits into our club anymore, wouldn't want him taking midfield minutes from the the younger generation. Duggan, Cole, ginbey, hough and hopefully travaglia are enough small/med defenders and he's prob not crafty enough to be at our kpf feet + draft capital

And if Graham says yes but Baker says no? We change the offer in front of him or say no to him?

Not sure you can put that sort of pressure on Baker either. He would be responsible for his mate losing 100k a year or whatever if he doesn’t choose us.
Just straight up say we’d like both of you at the club, to satisfy Richmond they want a pick in the early 2R and a pick in the late 2R (from the suggested BW trade). You guys are great mates here’s how we tick those boxes would you both like to play for our club under this scenario?

If not then we’ll have to see what individual deals look like for both of you.

Lotta disrespect for Curts going on here. Clarko wouldn't have spent 7 hours sipping ice-tea and discussing the weather with his folks if something wasn't there.

(Sarcasm)

Want clarify that was not my proposed trade. Just saying how you could do it.

Curtin has lost value from his draft position last year. The crows haven’t played him so they don’t rate him this year. Not saying he won’t make it or be worth stacks but they can’t complain if get low ball offers on what they paid for him 12 months ago.

Adelaide have the Dogs, Port and Sydney to finish. Possible they beat Port but unlikely to win any of them which would have them picking at 4. St kilda have 2 points on them and play Richmond.

Could we manipulate the draft and say we'll take Draper at 3 (which I'd be happy with) or we let him slide to you at 4 if you trade us Curtin for Hawthorn's pick 10? Gives them their gun South Australian mid, removes the Curtin flight risk factor and they save face for trading up to get him. Obviously relies on Richmond and North not picking Draper.

Twomey has Bo Allen in that pick 10 ranking but Curtin is a class above. No idea what the Crows are thinking leaving him disgruntled stuck in the SANFL.

There are several prospects better than Curtin we can draft with that Hawthorn first.

Unless we’re getting Curtin for unders like

3 and 23 for 4 and Curtin

We shouldn’t be interested

Want clarify that was not my proposed trade. Just saying how you could do it.

Curtin has lost value from his draft position last year. The crows haven’t played him so they don’t rate him this year. Not saying he won’t make it or be worth stacks but they can’t complain if get low ball offers on what they paid for him 12 months ago.
pick 3 and 10 for pick 4 and Curtin is what you would offer really. We just take O'Sullivan instead of Draper

Makes my head hurt every time i hear suggestions about trading for Curtin.

He's shown nothing at Afl level and quite frankly we've dodged a bullet. Would've been a Brander mk2.

Draper's a gun, why give him to Adelaide instead of taking him for ourselves.

Adelaide had their chance for this pick last year but instead chose a kid that they may be having second thoughts about.
He's a tall who's been performing very well at SANFL level and only been used as a sub at AFL level. Writing him off as Brander mark 2 is incredibly disrespectful and almost certainly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back