List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t sanction moving Ryan on for anything less than a top 10 pick, which nobody in footy is offering.
Surely Freo wouldn't offer us one of their firsts? I tend to agree with the idea that it doesn't make sense to bring Baker in if we let Ryan go but even 16 is overs for Ryan. If Freo could be talked into parting with pick 12, we'd have to take that seriously.

What’s with the giving back of picks to dilute the value of the one received?
If Freo agree to 16 and Knobel for Ryan I’d take it and run to the hills but I don’t think they would. 16 likely goes to 19 but 28 turns into to late 30s.

I look at it as getting 19 for Ryan and paying 38ish for Knobel, which I think is about right.

AFL.com...JD might get offers

WEST Coast veteran Jack Darling is expected to garner rival interest as clubs look at the experienced key forward market for him to end his career at a second club.

Darling returned to form last week in one of the best games he has played in recent years, having 22 disposals, nine marks and kicking a goal in the Eagles' win over Gold Coast.

The 32-year-old has a year to run on his contract with the Eagles but could look at rival options.

He was omitted from the Eagles' line-up for the first time in his career after their loss to Melbourne in round 17 and played two games in the WAFL before earning a recall.

The 2018 premiership player has played 295 games with the Eagles but clubs are considering the 32-year-old as a ready-to-play option in a key forward market that is difficult to attract gold plated moves.

Ignoring their relative trade values, would you rather Ryan or Baker on our list bearing in mind Baker is ~15 months younger and hasn’t had surgery on both hamstrings

Also whilst Baker would likely set better training standards, Ryan’s value as a mentor to our young indigenous lads shouldn’t be underestimated

It’s pretty even but if we are having to offer more to get Baker than we receive for Ryan then I’m keeping Ryan

Or we could have both
Agree with this.

We really need the Suns to be one of the teams. Picks mean less to them then others plus we can pay his salary ect.

WB pick (given to Rich for Baker) and Davies. Too ready made players and hopefully still have pick 2, 10, 22 and 27*

If Freo agree to 16 and Knobel for Ryan I’d take it and run to the hills but I don’t think they would. 16 likely goes to 19 but 28 turns into to late 30s.

I look at it as getting 19 for Ryan and paying 38ish for Knobel, which I think is about right.
If we are serious about a rebuild we'd get a good upcoming ruck this off-season. Jilliams and knobel would be a better duo next year with jack shouldering the majority of work till knobel gets bigger. Ryan is a gun and we'd miss his x factor but realistically only 1 hammy away from retirement. If 16 and knobel was too steep, I'd still consider 25 and knobel for Ryan

Late 2nd probably
Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least we aren't St Kilda

St Kilda are remaining tight-lipped about a meeting between the club’s head of player acquisition Graeme Allan and suspended former North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas.

If Clark is offering JACK GRAHAM a FOUR YEAR deal, who knows what he’d offer for Liam Baker in a trade. If we deal Barrass for a pick in the sweet spot of this years draft only to then trade it for Baker, it’ll confirm the club have no idea what position we’re in.
Probably to trigger a better band of compo and make the Baker deal cheaper, I imagine.

In terms of what Baker’s worth is, surely it’s just above or around what he’s worth as a free agent considering he’s out of contract but doesn’t become a RFA until next year.

The Tigers would be stupid not to take a deal now and get an extra year of development into a kid in what’s a very even and deep draft if he wants out.

I’d imagine both the Eagles and his management are aware of this. The vic media can carry on as much as they like but at the end of the day the Tigers will make the right decision for both player and club.

He surely wouldn’t attract band one compensation so anything around the end of the first round or early second is probably around the mark. Pick 17-25 will get it done if the Eagles want him and he wants out.

I would much prefer the club trade Barrass for pick 9/10 and 27.

That would leave us with McGovern, HEdwards and Bazzo as our main 3 key key backs.

Gov realistically wont play 23 games next season, but we should be hoping that Bazzo and HEdwards are capable of holding down our backline at times next year.

That gives us Draper at 2/3 - standout mid to compliment Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett and others.
Travglia at 9/10 - running half back that can eventually become a top line mid. Clear lack of talent in this area on our current list.
Mraz at 27 - To develop under McGovern, Bazzo and HEdwards.
Champion - bid matched, later in draft

Baker for 23.
English and Graham as Free agents.

2025 team
FB - Hough HEdwards Bazzo
CHB - Duggan McGovern Ginbey
W - Cole Yeo Maric
HF - Hewett, Allen, Baker
FF - JWilliams Waterman Ryan
R - English Kelly Reid
INT - Travaglia, Draper, Graham, Hunt, Long

Brockman, Flynn, Cripps, Chesser, Johnston, Dewar, Darling, Hall, Hutchison

Feel like this sort of line up has a really nice blend of youth and experience

11 of the listed 23 under the age of 25. Some quality experinced players and some nice depth blend of youth and experience.
Swap Mraz with Gerryn think Gerryn can be a better player either forward or back

Can Harry Edwards be resigned pronto, should be our number 1 priority regardless if Barrass does stay.

Swapping Barrass for effectively Baker is so meh, no thanks.

IMO the Graham over compo and pick 23 does it.
I agree on Edwards, sign him up asap. Swapping Barrass for multiple high end picks and not splitting our pick 3 should be the priority. I can see the logic of getting Liam Baker on board but not at a cost of losing a first round pick, unless we get some ridiculous offer for Barrass that is.

I would much prefer the club trade Barrass for pick 9/10 and 27.

That would leave us with McGovern, HEdwards and Bazzo as our main 3 key key backs.

Gov realistically wont play 23 games next season, but we should be hoping that Bazzo and HEdwards are capable of holding down our backline at times next year.

That gives us Draper at 2/3 - standout mid to compliment Reid, Yeo, Kelly, Hewett and others.
Travglia at 9/10 - running half back that can eventually become a top line mid. Clear lack of talent in this area on our current list.
Mraz at 27 - To develop under McGovern, Bazzo and HEdwards.
Champion - bid matched, later in draft

Baker for 23.
English and Graham as Free agents.

2025 team
FB - Hough HEdwards Bazzo
CHB - Duggan McGovern Ginbey
W - Cole Yeo Maric
HF - Hewett, Allen, Baker
FF - JWilliams Waterman Ryan
R - English Kelly Reid
INT - Travaglia, Draper, Graham, Hunt, Long

Brockman, Flynn, Cripps, Chesser, Johnston, Dewar, Darling, Hall, Hutchison

Feel like this sort of line up has a really nice blend of youth and experience

11 of the listed 23 under the age of 25. Some quality experinced players and some nice depth blend of youth and experience.

I'd like to see Luke Trainor fall to that 9/10 spot . 195cm interceptor / rebounder that is also a good one v one player. With the desperation for key defenders and this class being very top heavy with mids, I can see a club taking him at 5 or 6.

As much as I dont like backing rucks to fix midfields, I think you're right.

After a pretty decent showing on Friday night the one glaring problem with the game was that BWill got his backside paddled all night by the GCS rucks. Frankly it was embarrassing, and would have left a lot of us wondering how much better we would have looked in the middle/ in congestion if we had a ruck would could at least break even with his opponent and put the ball where our mids wanted it.

Bailey as a ruck has failed. Im sad for it because he is a god-honest trier and puts his all into the craft, but he's gonna end his career as a stop-gap whipping boy who covers for injuries. We need to replace him with an actual ruck, and we should be looking for a "best available" situation in the offseason - thats gonna be English.
or wait another year and go hard after Tom DeKoning ?

That is a very Eagles-coloured view of the comparison. Premierships are won in the midfield, A-grade midfielders will always be worth more than even A-grade defenders. And the difference between being at the start of your peak and nearing the end of your peak is probably the mot important reason why Warner is worth more than Barrass.
In the current market though, KPD are rare and very very expensive. The currency that Barrass has is huge, both for himself and for the club. Warner has gone from a very good mid to a top line gun due to the immediate impact Brody Grundy brought to that Swans midfield. He won't get that at West Coast unless we get in a gun ruck.

Can Harry Edwards be resigned pronto, should be our number 1 priority regardless if Barrass does stay.

Swapping Barrass for effectively Baker is so meh, no thanks.

IMO the Graham over compo and pick 23 does it.

I think the two are linked. Why would Edwards sign if he is going to be behind Barrass and Gov for another year when there are clubs offering him a spot in our B22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back