List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If he was uncontracted, Liam’s value would be the same as Baker’s. You know what you’ll get from Baker each week but he’s not a game breaker. A third club passing on a pick to Richmond could be the basis of a three way trade involving the Liams.

I’d also be very surprised if Freo weren’t interested, I’d be pushing for Knobel and the worst of their 1R (likely 16) for Liam and pick 28 if we acquired it in a Barrass trade with the Hawks.
If Freo interested to unlock Bolton, the following might work

Eagles
Out 3 23 Ryan
In 9 12 14 Knobel Baker Graham (as FA trigger band 3 ie pick 22 generated)

Freo
Out 9 12 14 Knobel
In Bolton Ryan 41 54

Tigers
Out Bolton Baker Graham 41 54
In 3 22 23

Eagles and Hawks
10 and F3 for Barrass

We go to the draft with 9 10 12 14 late pick for Champion having nabbed F3 with Hawks plus adding Knobel Baker Graham (and possibly English)

Depends on English - Williams is a possible trade option.
Crows might want to use R4 for Rotham to preserve their FA compo if lose Walker and Himmelburg.
I would be open to offers for Petch

'Shaking cages' as someone put it as an independent contractor for the club. Club is paying flights, accomodation and i'm in Australia 2 weeks a month plus my consultation fee. Finish up end of pick trade period, not involved in this years draft.

No player has committed from an opposition side to coming to the club at this stage. A couple are 50/50.

Ryan, Barrass, Edwards being actively chased by other clubs. A couple of younger and mid age players have had a bit of lukewarm interest but nothing to report.

Apologies, can't give anymore information.
Are we getting the Crows first for Rotham?

If Freo interested to unlock Bolton, the following might work

Eagles
Out 3 23 Ryan
In 9 12 14 Knobel Baker Graham (as FA trigger band 3 ie pick 22 generated)

Freo
Out 9 12 14 Knobel
In Bolton Ryan 41 54

Tigers
Out Bolton Baker Graham 41 54
In 3 22 23

Eagles and Hawks
10 and F3 for Barrass

We go to the draft with 9 10 12 14 late pick for Champion having nabbed F3 with Hawks plus adding Knobel Baker Graham (and possibly English)

Depends on English - Williams is a possible trade option.
Crows might want to use R4 for Rotham to preserve their FA compo if lose Walker and Himmelburg.
I would be open to offers for Petch
Other than wanting more for Barrass that’s a tidy deal. Turn those picks into 3 very good players in that range and I still think we’ll get Pies 2R as well for Hawks 1st to add a KPD.

Anything connecting Rotham to the Crows?

Swap Mraz with Gerryn think Gerryn can be a better player either forward or back

I think Gerryn could be a very good CHB, he has the skillset that meshes well with the requirement for that position.

If Edward leaves and realises his potential it would really be salt to the wound tryoe scenario. We are desperately in need of decent 24-25 year old in our side that we are even resorting to trash like Jack Graham. Hedwards career is still in limbo. Has looked good in glimpses this year but also has a lot of questionable moments. Thought he was really poor before his concussion on friday

I think Gerryn could be a very good CHB, he has the skillset that meshes well with the requirement for that position.
Agree with this, just worry that he’s beating up on smaller kids and at the next level that will come back to the pack. Great set of hands and reads the ball in flight very well.

Agree with this, just worry that he’s beating up on smaller kids and at the next level that will come back to the pack. Great set of hands and reads the ball in flight very well.

He did pretty well at the Championships and you can only beat whats put in front of you.

I have seen enough to back him in, I have changed my opinion on him because at the start of the season, I thought he was overhyped and I now take that back.

Yes he has grown both physically over the season, BUT more importantly, his play and game awareness has developed and become more finely honed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tobie has a smart footy IQ. He will succeed in any position he plays. He gets footy like Jeremy McGovern.

I'd pulled the trigger at number 6. I think he's a slow burn mid but he will eventually get being a full time mid.

In saying gaffy number 3 is available. Welcome Draper with number 3!!!!

Out of interest eaglespremiers, i know you rate tobie highly, but how high would you pull the trigger on him. Assume 3 is too early ?
Tobie's legitimate range seems to be between pick 9 - 15 atm.
He's a 2nd touch midfielder or HBF atm. Speaking to him on Sunday and he's going to be aiming to top the endurance testing of the Combine at the end of the year, which gives you an idea of what one of his main strengths are.
His other is obviously his defensive prowess, but it's not just his abilities, it is also his mindset. He is always defence-first in his mentality. You saw this during the Champs where his priority was intercepts and spoils. You see it in his stats on the weekend when he laid 11 tackles. You see it regularly (but particularly in the Academy games) when he just kills the ball in the goal square even when he is out of position. To top it all he has been close to the most consistent player at all levels this year (Talent League, Champs and Academy). I'd like to see how he goes against men this weekend, as he's not short having been measured at 187cm pre-season and it wouldn't surprise me if he's grown since then.
I think when you add his endurance with his defensive mindset and his elite marking for his size and he is a fairly tantalizing option for us (as we lack midfielders/HBFs with these attributes).
Still he's probably not worth using our first on. However, if you were to say that we had the option to get a sole O'Sullivan/Draper or Travaglia as well as Langford/Lalor/Reid, gee, I think you would have to go the latter option, wouldn't you?
Also we might have pick 10-11 anyway from Hawthorn. So if we obtained Draper at our current pick then I think Travaglia is a point of difference who would immediately be an improvement on a number of our current best-22 players.

So Gaffs done and Sheed/Darling/cripps all look like they’ll be done within 12 months. Sheed in particular is kinda sad as he isn’t even 30 and hasn’t got to 200 yet. His limitations have affected him as well as injuries but I do feel his career could have panned out better.

So since the 2010 draft which was 14 years ago the clubs hardly unearthed any elite talent. 2013 Sheed pays for himself after his GF heroics but was more a B grade player at best. Barrass was a massive tick. 2014 netted duggan but another B grade talent. 2016 looked like another shitty draft but Waterman might have turned him into an A grader. 2017 Allen bat injuries lived up to his lofty expectations and Ryan for me had 1-2 elite years but really a B grader and likely won’t get back to his best. Since then to 2021 nothing. Too early to make calls on the kids drafted 2021 to now. 3 A grader in 2010 and as many A graders drafted in a 10 year period. The pieman really ****ed us up.

Really need all the kids that look promising atm to really go on to big things quickly (not stagnate like a few kids have done over the last decade) if we want to climb up the ladder quickly.

Other than wanting more for Barrass that’s a tidy deal. Turn those picks into 3 very good players in that range and I still think we’ll get Pies 2R as well for Hawks 1st to add a KPD.

Anything connecting Rotham to the Crows?
Anywhere but MRP is my wish. The Crows is a hope

So Gaffs done and Sheed/Darling/cripps all look like they’ll be done within 12 months. Sheed in particular is kinda sad as he isn’t even 30 and hasn’t got to 200 yet. His limitations have affected him as well as injuries but I do feel his career could have panned out better.

So since the 2010 draft which was 14 years ago the clubs hardly unearthed any elite talent. 2013 Sheed pays for himself after his GF heroics but was more a B grade player at best. Barrass was a massive tick. 2014 netted duggan but another B grade talent. 2016 looked like another shitty draft but Waterman might have turned him into an A grader. 2017 Allen bat injuries lived up to his lofty expectations and Ryan for me had 1-2 elite years but really a B grader and likely won’t get back to his best. Since then to 2021 nothing. Too early to make calls on the kids drafted 2021 to now. 3 A grader in 2010 and as many A graders drafted in a 10 year period. The pieman really ****ed us up.

Really need all the kids that look promising atm to really go on to big things quickly (not stagnate like a few kids have done over the last decade) if we want to climb up the ladder quickly.
Not pretending we've picked the eyes out of drafts or anything like that, but I think you're being harsh on a few of those assessments. I think most clubs would be very pleased with the Duggan/Sheed/Waterman/Allen/Ryan grouping you've flagged.

Ryan made AA, and if you guaranteed an AA season from any given draft pick, most people would snap your hand off to take it (let alone a prominent role in a flag tilt). Sheed's 2019 was spectacular and his 2020-21 were pretty good too before a complete derail of injury. Duggan has never gone to the heights of A-grader, at either position, but again if you promise every club that their first rounder will be a 200+ gamer, they're doing that without hesitating.

2016 draft class as shitty is also pretty rough - Venables, Rotham, Rioli, Waterman. Almost drafted it entirely backwards on output, but that's a very reasonable group if Venables goes on to have a solid career.

Where we've fallen down is losing Venables to concussion at 20, Brander being dreadful (but same draft as Allen/Ryan/Petch so we added plenty of games from that class), Xavier O'Neill and Luke Foley not hitting after the 2018 GF draft, and then not getting a single consistent contributor from somewhere in either of the lean TK draft/rookie draft classes. The pieces in place from the Duggan/Sheed era have been fine, it's the 2018-20 era that have stitched us.

So based on media reports across various platforms -

WCE players linked to opposition clubs :
Liam Ryan
Jake Waterman
Jack Darling
Tom Barrass
• Harry Edwards

Opposition players linked to WCE :
Tom Clurey
Liam Baker
Jack Graham
• Tim English
• Riley Garcia

Might have missed some but these are who I recall off the top of my head

So based on media reports across various platforms -

WCE players linked to opposition clubs :
• Liam Ryan
• Jake Waterman
• Jack Darling
• Tom Barrass
• Harry Edwards

Opposition players linked to WCE :
• Tom Clurey
• Liam Baker
• Jack Graham
• Tim English
• Riley Garcia

Might have missed some but these are who I recall off the top of my head

I realise context is everything but man this looks depressing when you put it like that

Jack Carroll is another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back