List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post. There’s strong arguments for selecting and not selecting him. We don’t have a great record with recruiting based on underage years/performance. Despite being IMO the most complete footballer of the draft class, using a top 3 pick on him as you rightly point out is risky. Can’t believe I’m even writing that after his champs a year ago. If he’d played the whole season and this is what he’s producing I’d take Draper but if the draft was tomorrow and he’s available I’d still take FOS.

Both of these kids have an outstanding attitude and we can’t really go wrong with one or the other. If they are both gone I’d take Smillie who by all accounts seems to also be a great kid from a good family.

1. FOS
2. Draper
3. Smillie

There’s a chance the decision is already be made for us in the unlikely event of the Tigers not taking Jagga at #1.
Whichever way you skin it, having a top 3 pick this year looks the goods

Without draper in the mix.

If it was between Jagga and Finn it's now a 50/50.

We can't take Finn without his ability to accumulate. His reason for being better then Jagga was elite ball use and accumulation. Finn elite ball use onky doesnt carry him high uo draft order.

It's super risky. In saying that it's a coin flip for me. I'll go back on fourth with jagga and fos

Without draper in the mix.

If it was between Jagga and Finn it's now a 50/50.

We can't take Finn without his ability to accumulate. His reason for being better then Jagga was elite ball use and accumulation. Finn elite ball use onky doesnt carry him high uo draft order.

It's super risky. In saying that it's a coin flip for me. I'll go back on fourth with jagga and fos
Hasn’t he always had decent numbers until this year? A little concerning this year but has all the tools

Do we are locked at pick 3 come start of trade season

I’m ok on one of Jagga, Draper or FOS

My expectation is that Norf will be a cheap slide from 2 to 4 if Crows keep the pick and want Draper.

If Tiger trade Bolton, Baker and Rioli, they can afford to stay put. There are enough tall options later in round 1 for them to hold their nerve and not pay overs for say a Trainor. Walk away with 2 quality mids, 2 quality talls and 2 top utilities with their 6 picks inside 25

The Hawks look finals bound do their R1 might be just after I wanted but will still give us quality.

We should have 3 picks inside 25 (ignoring the nga fs). A high possession mid, a running hb and a KPD

And he was rated a generational player when taken at pick 2.

The SA clubs were frothing.

Another example of top 3 picks not being sure things.
That was mainly by knightmare who said he was the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe at the time he was right but he's said plenty of outlandish stuff on bf

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have Oliver as the back up in the event TT is gone

Is Oliver ranked around top 10?

Ive seen him as a late 1st / early 2nd.

Would bwe be reaching with 10 or do we get another later 1st to land him?

Its why multiple picks say 3 in the top 20 and a couple more in the 20 to 30's is so attractive. Just need to be carefull as a bid on Champion could come in the 20s.

I don't think jagga being ahead in development is a knock.

We need the draftee to be ready year 1. If jagga is ahead in development and there is little more upside then great. I'll take short term gain for long term pain at this point.

We are so in need of midfielder it's not funny.

Would we really be mad if we drafted tstats clone from dons? He's a ball butcher by foot but can accumulate

Is Oliver ranked around top 10?

Ive seen him as a late 1st / early 2nd.

Would bwe be reaching with 10 or do we get another later 1st to land him?

Its why multiple picks say 3 in the top 20 and a couple more in the 20 to 30's is so attractive. Just need to be carefull as a bid on Champion could come in the 20s.
Oliver is the second best HBF in the class, I think he’ll go in the mid 20s. Hawks making finals would be a disaster for a potential Barrass trade. I want Travaglia or Lindsay out of that trade otherwise Hawks will need to upgrade their pick into top 10 or I hope Saints, Dees, Dons or even Blues if they miss finals come after TB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think jagga being ahead in development is a knock.

We need the draftee to be ready year 1. If jagga is ahead in development and there is little more upside then great. I'll take short term gain for long term pain at this point.

We are so in need of midfielder it's not funny.

Would we really be mad if we drafted tstats clone from dons? He's a ball butcher by foot but can accumulate

Would we be mad to use pick 3 on a Tstats clone who's poor kicking is keeping him in the VFL as the Essendon league team plumits out of the top eight?

You'd be happy with a sugar hit but lose long term?

Or we could just pick a bigger player who can kick as well as get the ball. Like Draper. Or FOS or Smillie or Reid or Lalor.

Reported several clubs interested in Darling.

Oviously not a huge expectation on what he would land but which clubs?

Swans? Straight swap Sheldrick?

Demons? Straight swap Judd McVee?

Freo look set with young talls.

He will be chasing an extension and the Eagles likely wont offer better terms. One year extensions.

One thing with Jack is he's been durable and tough enough to play through injury and rehab. A finals contender would see him as quality depth. Collingwood?

Them trading back for Trainor does make sense.
In our hunt for Sid. I don’t think Tigers or Roos go Sid.

This is why Saints losing Battle and getting Band 1 would help us in our quest. While Saints are likely to go mids, they would also be in the market for a backman with a not Howard and Wilkie of note. Trainor the logical fit but Will come down to how they rate him compared to the ones expected to go in the 20s.

We could use it to scare the Roos into not trading back with the Crows, knowing we might do the same and still get one of the top 4 mids with pick 5 and saints would still get a Langford/Reid/Lalor.

Hope is both Saints and Roos both fall in love with the idea of Trainor.

Pick 3 is easy. Just take Reid!
Do you think he would be okay with heading West mate? I guess that’s the biggest question i have around Murphy and it’s based on nothing except for being a metro boy. He’s definitely one that i think is really worth looking at pick 3 if he was okay with moving.

Reported several clubs interested in Darling.

Oviously not a huge expectation on what he would land but which clubs?

Swans? Straight swap Sheldrick?

Demons? Straight swap Judd McVee?

Freo look set with young talls.

He will be chasing an extension and the Eagles likely wont offer better terms. One year extensions.

One thing with Jack is he's been durable and tough enough to play through injury and rehab. A finals contender would see him as quality depth. Collingwood?
Packaging Darling and BWill up for a late 2R and a F3 would be good move. Pies and Demons would be two teams likely to be aggressive at the trade table who a KPF and chop out ruckman with some forward craft might be appealing to. Dees forward line would finally have some structure.

Do you think he would be okay with heading West mate? I guess that’s the biggest question i have around Murphy and it’s based on nothing except for being a metro boy. He’s definitely one that i think is really worth looking at pick 3 if he was okay with moving.
Someone mentioned he did an interview last year and said the worst thing would be moving interstate. Him and Lalor are very hard for me to split in terms of draft order.

If Darling does find interest and gets traded out I won’t mind it as we have a couple kids deserving a look in but there will be a part of me that will be bitter he ends his eagles career on 298 games. Three years ago it when Bunga became the first eagle to 300 it looked like JD and Gaff were certainties too. Don’t think any of the current seniors will get there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back