List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
i can see Hawks getting to a prelim but a lot will depend on the draw

Ideally they'd get a Bris, Freo, GWS, away in first week of finals
Looking at remaining fixtures I think WB v Haw in week 1 of finals is a strong chance. Which is a 50-50 game

Looks like the Purps are going to miss. Probably need to win both games, unless Carlton drop either this wk vs us or next wk vs Saints

In my defence how could anyone have predicted Clayton Oliver sober is unfit and skinny. In saying that a fit clayton Oliver would have served us well.

As for Oscar Allen trade that was if we had to trade one of Oscar/Jake.

And as for Dev well before bringing it up like you owned me wait until he puts on the wce jumper first and plays.
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

I like it but I don’t think Sydney would go for it, depending on how desperate they see the need for an elite full back and how they value that need versus losing an elite young mid.
I dont think they go for it either. I also think trading for Warner this year would be irresponsible list management unless we got a bargain
Are we sure we will get that value elsewhere in a TB trade? I feel like that pick 10 mark might be all we get. In which case maybe meeting in the middle at pick 11 + TB (if valued at pick 10) might be more realistic. Then we hold pick 7 for a good mid.
I would not be happy with pick 10ish alone for TB. If he was out of contract then pick 10 is abvout right, but they have to pay overs here
My hope was that a guy like Langford might be available in the 7-10 range if we split but he is now being talked up as a top 3 bolter.
I hope so too, I like him

With TB leaving would the coaches be thinking replace like for like (as best as possible) or invent a whole new strategy for defence based on small runner types (Ginbey, Hough, HJ, etc)

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ginbey and Hough are listed at 191cm.

Going through the Coleman table:
Hogan - 196cm
Curnow - 194cm
King - 202cm
Waterman - 192cm
McKay - 200cm
Cameron - 196cm
Larkey - 198cm (useless sack of crap but tall)

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to build around The Boy and Hough, philosophically, but at the end of the day you need proper KPD size at your disposal too to make sure you don’t get burned.

Plug in Harry Edwards in the medium term and try to uncover another true KPD sized player for when Gov finished up.

Should’ve already started but will be very hard to get it done. His offers to stay home will be through the roof
Now that it appears that English is off the table , not official yet but looking very likely he is staying with the dogs...... we can table to DeKoning what we were going to offer English?

I’d be incredibly happy with any of Draper, Smillie, Smith or FOS.

Please don’t split the pick WC.
We would be insane to split our pick 3 with it looking very likely Barrass leaving and giving us at least pick 11 and probably a late first rounder. Pick 3, 11 and say 17 would be brilliant. I'd consider swapping with Adelaide for their pick 4 and and a pick 28 but only if we get the Barrass deal done. So going in with Pick 4, 11,17 23 and 28 would be a very tidy 1st round for us.

Essendon have players to trade, [Parish, Hobbs, Tsatis, Perkins, Cox, Throw in Hepps and Laverde for free].
We need a Reid like player, how would that sit with WC posters.
PS. Could probably throw in our coach, good assistant for your present coach next year.
So long as you throw in your secret peptide formula, that sounds like a great trade

With TB leaving would the coaches be thinking replace like for like (as best as possible) or invent a whole new strategy for defence based on small runner types (Ginbey, Hough, HJ, etc)

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We still need a couple of taller guys to handle the big KPFs. Ginbey and Hough arent big enough to handle them.

I dont think there is that much scope to change our backline for next year too much. Itll be more or less the same players

We would be insane to split our pick 3 with it looking very likely Barrass leaving and giving us at least pick 11 and probably a late first rounder. Pick 3, 11 and say 17 would be brilliant. I'd consider swapping with Adelaide for their pick 4 and and a pick 28 but only if we get the Barrass deal done. So going in with Pick 4, 11,17 23 and 28 would be a very tidy 1st round for us.
Who do they want that bad that they swap 3 for 4 and give us 28?

So this is the beauty of this year's draft in that you should be able to get what you want where your picks lie. A reach of 5 to 10 in some parts of the draft is pretty irrelevant.

Let's look at the clubs Tom Barrass might land at and what might be the currency paid.

1. Hawks are 8th and have 2 very winnable games meaning they could land as high as 5th. I would expect a F2 or the Pies R2 this year is the sweetener. That is pick 14 and a late 20's. Pick 14 feels too late for Travaglia but too soon for Oliver while either our R2 or the Pies R2 would be spot on for Davis

2. Dogs are 7th and should beat Norf this week but then face GWS at Ballarat. Lose that and they could finish 9th. There could be an English compo pick after that (say pick 11) and they are likely to get the Geelong pick for Smith at say 17. We aren't getting both. If it is Garcia and 17, we can afford to go Oliver at 17.

3. If Swans are runner up again, they might decide Tom and their R1 and Norf PP 19. They probably end up at say 18 and 20. Take both and give them something back and we have choices.

Not saying these are the deals, but we should get something decent for Tom and it could be 2 picks this year or spread over 2 years. Either way, we can take a Travaglia if he is there or an Oliver if it is a bit later or a Davis at our R2 or Pies R2 if in play.

This is not the year I want to spend a load of currency moving up.

I am also reducing my "really want" tag on Travaglia now that Ginbey has blossomed as a HBF and is showing he can break the lines in that role (as I believe can Hough). With that in mind, I happily go say Drape or FOS at 3 and Lalor/Lindsay/Murphy/Gross/Allan etc at the Tom trade in pick.

I have on my board a massive number of talls at the later teens and early 20's. We are set for talls so we might do well in dropping back on draft night and extracting from clubs wanting a tall.

If we do trade barrass, I reckon we will be keen to get another KPD on the list in that 20-30 range.

Gov is almost gone, which just leaves a mid player in edwards to carry both positions.

I reckon given Barnetts lack of development if we don’t get English we will be interested in a ruck project too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2077738

What I am, chopped liver fellas?

Mmm. He’s still developing, is seeming injury prone, but has put on a stack of size this season. Might be a solution, but him and maric have always projected more as 3rd talls for me.

Our perceived need for KPD will depend on where the club plans to play maric and more importantly Reid going forward. If we trade barrass and move Reid back we won’t be in too bad a position.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't see it that way at all.

From this article:

"By the end of 2022 Barrass was not only a premiership player, but also a newly minted best and fairest. He knew what the Swans were prepared to offer if he decided to defect.

With that number in mind, Barrass sat down with senior West Coast officials to talk about his contract, against advice from his agent.

He didn't ask for the Eagles to match Sydney's number, but believed the club should restructure his deal to reflect his true value to the team.

To his delight, West Coast officials agreed. There was a verbal understanding that in time, he would receive a pay bump. Any prospect of joining Sydney ended there and then.

This salary increase arrived only in the last few months. Disappointingly for Barrass, it was so minor that it left the 2018 premiership player believing he is being pushed out in favour of multiple high end draft picks."

To be honest I'm kind of ok with the whole situation tbh, aside from maybe us making a verbal promise we didn't keep (don't love that). Reads to me as he came to us discussing his market value (and was happy to cop lower than Sydney's), we've realised it's a bigger priority for our list to gain some picks and let him go, he's read the writing on the wall and has opened himself up to a move. Better for all parties - I think if it really was a terrible outcome for us, most on here would be more outraged he was leaving (everyone seems pretty at peace with it being good for us). That's just footy these days and I'm glad we're not overblowing loyalty like we have in the past with extending contracts a year or so past when they should have been.
See i don't get the whole market value position . If barrass had a career ending injury would he take a massive pay cut ?

I doubt it .

It also doesn't say that after that horrible back injury sustained from jack reiwaldt tunnelling him Sydney all but pulled out of that trade which is my understanding of the timeline

Hogan - 196cm
Curnow - 194cm
King - 202cm
Waterman - 192cm
McKay - 200cm
Cameron - 196cm

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to build around The Boy and Hough, philosophically, but at the end of the day you need proper KPD size at your disposal too to make sure you don’t get burned.

Plug in Harry Edwards in the medium term and try to uncover another true KPD sized player for when Gov finished up.
We have gov and Harry Edwards replaces barrass .

Jamo 201cms has 1 year on the list to try make it as a KPD

Bazzo 195cms looks to have put some size on as has shown he has talent as both a defender and ball user

Maric 196cms is one of the best kicks at the club but is 19 and still slight of frame but a move back to utilise his kicking in a third tall role is a no brainer for me .

Draft Kayle Gerryne from west Perth. 199cm powerful athlete with the burst of pace you need as a key back and terrific over head mark

Hogan - 196cm
Curnow - 194cm
King - 202cm
Waterman - 192cm
McKay - 200cm
Cameron - 196cm

Ginbey is 194cm Ive read.

Hough also taller and getting close to Schofield.

Ginbey bigger.

How terribly flawed is the system when spud McKay got north pick 3 yet one of the best defenders in the league in Barrass won’t get anywhere near that

3 months ago I was in the “priority pick” thread saying we completely missed a beat by jumping at shadows and re-signing TB beyond free agency.

He would have given us pick 3 in 2022, the fact we now have to settle for pick 11-13 + sweeteners is a reflection on our list management.

It has very little to do with FA. We had the exact same opportunity North did.

Roos played their hand well with Mackay, we fumbled the bag - multiple times- with TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back