List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Barrass is worth a top 10 pick and if Hawthorn were 12th and holding pick 7 instead of surging into finals, nobody would be questioning they should hand over that pick for Barrass. Possibly with some steak knives

As it stands, Hawthorn likely make finals and in their current form it wouldn’t be a surprise if they won at least one final. So that’s a 6th placed finish (or better) and pick 13.

And whilst there’s no guarantees, they’d be well placed to do as well or better next year so two firsts from Hawthorn is a couple of mid teens picks.

What would be better, pick 7 or two picks in the teens. I’d argue many would take pick 7

So two R1 picks for Barrass isn’t silly, especially when you factor in he’s contracted and we expose ourselves to significant risk in the short term by trading him out

It’s incumbent upon Hawthorn to satisfy us, not the other way round
They want to buy, we don't need to sell. Pretty simple. They are price takers not price givers.

Further to this post the Hawks have now upped their offer to an unconditional 5 years at around band 1 money. The last year previously had triggers for the 5th year. This has been offered before the market comes for Barrass in a big way and in my view would have created enough goodwill between club and player that all that is left to do is satisfy WCE with a trade. In saying that it is not a fait accompli and the door remains ajar for other Melbourne based clubs to make offers to Barrass and WCE. If another club can put together similar financial terms and a better package of picks, WCE will expect equal value to that from Hawthorn. I’m confident we are not going to get shafted in a deal.

There’s a couple of misconceptions about Barrass. Firstly, he did not walk out on the Eagles. He asked for a salary increase to reflect his output. We easily have the cap space to accommodate this for the remainder of his contract but allowed Barrass to explore his options, which he did. Previous administrations may have taken a different approach but as one of the very few players with high currency in a rebuild I think this is the right move for club and player.

Secondly the Hawks are well aware of Barrass’s injury last year and are still comfortable enough to offer a soon to be 29 year old a five year unconditional contract. All the hyperbole on him being “one fall from retirement” can probably stop now. The Hawks are going to get a fantastic player who’s a perfect fit for their list and we are going to be well compensated. As I posted on Friday, their 1R is the centrepiece of the trade. Given that is now almost certainly going to be outside the top 10, their F1 is also very much in play probably with our F2 going back although I still think the deal ends up being Hawks R1 and Pies R2 this year.
I thought Barrass signed a binding contract without any duress?

If you read my post I said they have trade week to organise there draft hand so they can meet our requirements. Just because they have pick 10 & 28 now doesn’t mean that’s all they have to offer.

They can use future picks, trade with other clubs both players and picks to upgrade existing ones.

Some of the Victorian clubs are quite fluid with player movement and Hawks are definitely one of them. They will find a way if they want TB.
Trade week happens in a big rush under a lot of pressure.

People are shitting the bed because they have seen it so often from our club. Rolled over by more ruthless clubs and negotiators.

Trade week happens in a big rush under a lot of pressure.

People are shitting the bed because they have seen it so often from our club. Rolled over by more ruthless clubs and negotiators.
Yet our football department looks completely different from the past.

New CEO Don Pyke, new List manager Matt Clarke, new coach ?, our current general manager of football Greg Bell has only been in charge since 2023 in that role. Duane Massey our Recruiting manager in the job since 2022.

Let’s see what they do.

3 months ago I was in the “priority pick” thread saying we completely missed a beat by jumping at shadows and re-signing TB beyond free agency.

He would have given us pick 3 in 2022, the fact we now have to settle for pick 11-13 + sweeteners is a reflection on our list management.

It has very little to do with FA. We had the exact same opportunity North did.

Roos played their hand well with Mackay, we fumbled the bag - multiple times- with TB.
Barrass signed his contract after the 2021 season, so you’re suggesting that we should have let a 26 year old 100+ game premiership player play on no deal, in anticipation of us tumbling down the ladder and winning two games?

That seems like infinitely worse list management.

I think he means it's disappointing a local long term player and a very good one at that, appears to be heading somewhere else.
WC supporters aren't used to this.

Don't forget it wasn't that many weeks ago we were lauding his performances on the ground
No one’s saying he’s not a great player. I just question why one can be disappointed when it’s clearly for the better of the team

Barrass signed his contract after the 2021 season, so you’re suggesting that we should have let a 26 year old 100+ game premiership player play on no deal, in anticipation of us tumbling down the ladder and winning two games?

Players go in to free agency unsigned all gone time.

Just this year alone there was Mcluggage, Berry, English (still unsigned), Battle who were in the last year of their contract.

We signed him in Dec 2021.

We would have known our lot by March 2022 when we had injuries/covid ripping through the club.

We went early on Barrass becuase we got scared by Sydney’s approach.

Where our list was at was no surprise to most. Even internally we knew.

There’s some slight revisionist history in your post.

I have a feeling any trade with hawthorn and us the suns will be involved in as well

It hurts, but letting TB go just makes sense. It's not often a situation like this occurs, where i think all can be quite comfortable with the direction of player and club.

If TB stays on, we essentially lose HEdwards to a rival club.

Turn TB into quality draft capital to boost the midfield youth and allow Edwards to play his role.

In another couple years, we should be in a position to start topping up similar to Hawthorn via free agency (hopefully)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s almost like hindsight is 20/20.

No one’s saying he’s not a great player. I just question why one can be disappointed when it’s clearly for the better of the team
Disappointment, or not, will hinge on what we get for him.

Whatever we do get, even if a great deal for us, will hurt a little as i don't like to see good players leave our club, even if for the best.

all the stats on the eagles page is incorrect as it says eg ryan amric has played 10 games and his stats are all wrong this is the same for all players it has glitched back to like round 12

We need to be careful to control the narrative with Barass and make sure it is clearly stated that he will only be traded for the right price and if that price is not met then we will happily welcome him back. Set a reasonable price and then say its up to the Hawks, or he's returning.

We will need to fight the narrative from the Hawks and (likely) his manager saying he wants out and doesnt want to come back. Victorian media will likely assist Hawks here.

We need to be careful to control the narrative with Barass and make sure it is clearly stated that he will only be traded for the right price and if that price is not met then we will happily welcome him back. Set a reasonable price and then say its up to the Hawks, or he's returning.

We will need to fight the narrative from the Hawks and (likely) his manager saying he wants out and doesnt want to come back.
Good luck with that with Trade Radio all being from Vic. Journos also get their leaks from the managers so they love peddling their nonsense.

As well elaborated by others, the Hawks R1 could well be a mid teens pick this year. Adding the Pies R2 at say pick 27 would at a pinch do, it but begrudgingly so. Since he is contracted for another 3 yeas at a modest salary, begrudgingly does not cut the mustard.

What about the Hawks F1? Giving back a F2 may only see us jumping up from 22 to 16. Not enough - the deal has a potentially high ceiling if we improve and Hawks wobble) but also a horrid floor (status quo remains). I would only want to give up a F3 which is a pick closer to 40. So Tom plus F3 for Hawks R1 and F1. Maybe even chuck in a F4 is push comes to shove.

Then we go to the Suns and see what they would give for the Hawks F1. If it involved the Doggies pick at say 15, then we might have a deal. If not, take the F1 and be happy. They may counter with the Norf PP at 20 plus one of their picks in the 20's (currently 29 and 36).

What would that leave us with?

(1) 3 14 15 23 giving up Tom and F3 (Suns dealt in with Dogs R1)

(2) 3 14 20 23 29 giving up Tom and F3 (Suns dealt in with Norf PP and R2)

(3) 3 14 23 and Hawks F1 giving up Tom and F3 (2 way with Eagles Hawks only)

If we go for the hawks F1, I would be more interested to then target the Port R1 that Freo hold and see if it could be a Ryan and salary for say pick 15. Less likely to occur if Freo get Bolton but high on the cards if Bolton stays put.
- draft hand of 3 14 23 and Hawks F1 or 15 for losing Ryan and Tom plus a F3

Points to remember: We do not know the exacts but in 2025, the earlier picks will attract a heavier weighting.

Also important - stocking up picks for 2025 would suit a stronger WA draft pool plus 3 NGA/FS prospects that look good so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back