List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

Would we consider Hawks first and Cam McKenzie for Barrass?

I know we were into him during his draft year. 20yo and seems to be slightly on the outer with there mids.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
We’d more than consider it, we’d bite their arm off

But hawks would never do that deal, rightly so. They wouldn’t even straight swap McKenzie for Barrass.

How tempting would it be to go for a major reset at Punt Road?

Firstly, Tigers already prepared themselves for this draft last year in keeping their full draft hand while collecting Freo's R2 and R3, our R3 and Pies and Port's R4

By offloading Bolton Baker and Rioli plus say pick 22 or 40 as FA compo for Graham (band 3 or 4), they could have access to:

Their current hand of (later ones not exact but indicative) 1 21 30 39 41 50 57 63 and 68

Suns picks 9 13 (Dogs) and 20 for Rioli and a heap of points for Lombard (note Tigers could pay a chunk of salary if they really want all 3 R1 picks)

Freos picks 7 10 15 for Baker Bolton and some future or later picks returned

The Rioli deal could well include Tigers paying back later picks to Freo and or Suns. They might even sweeten it with a F2 or F3.

Not saying they do it but they could end up with 1 7 9 10 13 15 20 21 22. It will be some short term pain at Tigerland but with this hand and this draft, they would be licking their lips.

Suns would be able to take their 2 x R2 picks to the draft and sell off for future picks and use their late picks along with Tiger picks for Lombard.

I think with Lukosius noise, the Suns will be able to get another R1 in 2025.

Barrass is worth a top 10 pick and if Hawthorn were 12th and holding pick 7 instead of surging into finals, nobody would be questioning they should hand over that pick for Barrass. Possibly with some steak knives

As it stands, Hawthorn likely make finals and in their current form it wouldn’t be a surprise if they won at least one final. So that’s a 6th placed finish (or better) and pick 13.

And whilst there’s no guarantees, they’d be well placed to do as well or better next year so two firsts from Hawthorn is a couple of mid teens picks.

What would be better, pick 7 or two picks in the teens. I’d argue many would take pick 7

So two R1 picks for Barrass isn’t silly, especially when you factor in he’s contracted and we expose ourselves to significant risk in the short term by trading him out

It’s incumbent upon Hawthorn to satisfy us, not the other way round

Just stating I don't think Hawks will be prepared to give up 2 1st rounders for TB (i.e. they won't satisfy us).

And without going all aggressive, seems a lot of posters forget that “worth” of things is determined by supply and demand - the “worth” is how much another club is willing to pay for that player.

What a club values a player at is a different concept.

Bit like me valuing my house for $2m, but no-one will pay me more than $1.5m.............. it ain't "worth" $2m but I value it at that.

Jeremy Cameron & 2 x 2nd rounders was "worth" Picks 13, 15, 20 and a future fourth rounder because that what 2 parties would agree on.

Firstly, Tigers already prepared themselves for this draft last year in keeping their full draft hand while collecting Freo's R2 and R3, our R3 and Pies and Port's R4

By offloading Bolton Baker and Rioli plus say pick 22 or 40 as FA compo for Graham (band 3 or 4), they could have access to:

Their current hand of (later ones not exact but indicative) 1 21 30 39 41 50 57 63 and 68

Suns picks 9 13 (Dogs) and 20 for Rioli and a heap of points for Lombard (note Tigers could pay a chunk of salary if they really want all 3 R1 picks)

The Rioli deal could well include Tigers paying back later picks to Freo and or Suns. They might even sweeten it with a F2 or F3.

Not saying they do it but they could end up with 1 7 9 10 13 15 20 21 22. It will be some short term pain at Tigerland but with this hand and this draft, they would be licking their lips.

Suns would be able to take their 2 x R2 picks to the draft and sell off for future picks and use their late picks along with Tiger picks for Lombard.

Is this years draft that good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they'd want to spread that across multiple drafts?
Did you read the post? I wrote "Not saying they do it" but that they have the hand to do it. In other words, they have choices. They would need to consider whether they could develop that many. For a club that will finish bottom, they are in a strong position. With options comes power.

If it was up to me, I would happily turn 2 of the mid to later picks into future R1 picks. Lions will be sellers as they will need points for Ashcroft and Marshall.

I am hearing a discount being given on 2025 picks for clubs wanting to get back into 2024. Said differently, it will cost a premium to get back into 2024

What we should've done at the end of 2021.!!!

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s incumbent upon Hawthorn to satisfy us, not the other way round
I'm a little confused with this narrative. Isn't the club "pushing" TB to sign with another club so we can cash in on the draft? If so whilst I personally would be happy to, surely we can't be too strong handed with our list of demands, when the trade is being done to benefit both parties?

Any team that goes full rebuild like the one proposed is taking a massive risk. If they missed on a number of those picks they are in a world of hurt with a lack of senior players having ripped out the guts of their 24-27 age group in Bolton, Baker, Graham, and Rioli, with a bunch of senior players hitting retirement/injured out age (Martin, Grimes, Picket, Prestia, McIntosh, Lynch (4 games only this season and last)).

If they miss on the draft hand they'd be destroyed with Tassie coming in and taking the draft apart.

Just a little share of what I can.

Tom Barrass isn't one of the 'boys' if you will.

He's also very close to genius level IQ, knows it and no matter whom or someone's experiences, thinks he's the smartest person in the room.

Barrass overrode his manager's advice to sign the contract he did when he did.

WCE are 100% not shopping him and never have. But also haven't offered an extension to his current contract. He has been offered a minor pay increase. (TBH I think this is more Clarke trying to show the youngsters we will be reasonable but not held over a barrel)

4 clubs actively chasing him hard. Offers have gotten different and higher as the season has progressed.

Brother and Sister have and or are in the process of moving to Melbourne.

Just stating I don't think Hawks will be prepared to give up 2 1st rounders for TB (i.e. they won't satisfy us).

And without going all aggressive, seems a lot of posters forget that “worth” of things is determined by supply and demand - the “worth” is how much another club is willing to pay for that player.

What a club values a player at is a different concept.

Bit like me valuing my house for $2m, but no-one will pay me more than $1.5m.............. it ain't "worth" $2m but I value it at that.

Jeremy Cameron & 2 x 2nd rounders was "worth" Picks 13, 15, 20 and a future fourth rounder because that what 2 parties would agree on.

That’s all fair.

As you say we can’t sell Barrass for what the club might want if Hawthorn don’t offer it. In which case we retain Barrass

It largely hinges on how keen Hawthorn are to get TB across. The fact that Mitchell flew over here expressly to meet with Barrass and reports they’re offering him an unconditional 5 year contract would suggest they’re very keen

It’s a lot of leg work put in to convince a player to leave his home state only to baulk at the asking price once the hard work has been done.

I know it’s a sticking point on this board that we overpay to trade players in but that also means prospective trade targets know if they commit to us, we’ll get the deal done

Asking Hawthorn to pony up two R1 picks in the mid teens is reasonable in this instance. Contracted players require a premium which is why Collingwood over paid for Schultz last year for example albeit at the time they wouldn’t have thought they’d be coughing up a top 10 pick

You're willing to make that call after less than 5 AFL games between them?
Yes, I think Bailey is better than both. No I don't think he's the answer he's handy depth, we need to find that number 1 ruck this off-season

I'm a little confused with this narrative. Isn't the club "pushing" TB to sign with another club so we can cash in on the draft? If so whilst I personally would be happy to, surely we can't be too strong handed with our list of demands, when the trade is being done to benefit both parties?

He isn't being pushed out.

So much as tempted by higher and longer offers from other clubs.

And you summed it up in the last bit.

Benefit BOTH parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back