List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

If we could turn Barrass into say pick 7, Hawks future 1st & Baker would people be happy with that?

Could see a mega trade happening between Richmond, Freo, GC, Hawks & us.

Freo Get - Bolton
Freo Give - Pick 7 + Pick 12 + Pick 16

Eagles Get - Pick 7 + F1 + Baker, 3R
Eagles Give - Barrass, F2

Hawks Get - Barrass
Hawks Give - 12, F1

Richmond Get - 12, 13, Pick 6, WCE F2
Richmond Give - Bolton, Rioli, Baker, 3R

GC Get - Rioli + Pick 16
GC Give - Pick 6

This is just something I thought might roughly work. The actual picks currently aren’t 100% accurate but it could look something like this.
TB not worth that. These mega trades very, very rarely occur

So its hawks pick 11 ..thought it was 10 last week :think: ..what about next week pick 12 or the week after that pick 13 ??

If we are going to get rid of Barrass something from 5-9 for me ...up to the hawks to get that pick

Perhaps we should just wait and see where the hawks finish before we are so quick to firesale barrass ??
When you add battle FA compo and ashcroft bid , Lombard bid it pushes out to 15 .

Pick 3 everything I think about it is very annoying in terms of franking of what we do with pick 3.

1. Draper
2. Fos
3. Lalor + Travaglia + Murphy Reid
4. Jagga

Number 3 is a new idea but I cant forget Sam Lalor ceiling. He's unbelievable risky but he compliments us so well. He's a boom or bust type players. However, perhaps he can be offset with Murphy Reid/tier 2 mid.

Again my mind changes everyday due to eveness of draft. One constant is draper #1
If Clarke can turn pick 3 into Lalor, Travaglia and MReid he’ll be given the job for life.

Pick 3 everytime I think about it is a very annoying pick. In terms of ranking what to do with pick 3*

1. Draper
2. Fos
3. Lalor + Travaglia + Murphy Reid
4. Jagga

Number 3 is a new idea because i can't ignore sam Lalor ceiling. He's unbelievable risky but he compliments us so well. He's a boom or bust type players. However, perhaps he can be offset with Murphy Reid/tier 2 mid and travaliga (slow burn mid)

Again my mind changes everyday due to eveness of draft. One constant is draper #1

*TB pick needs to involved to unlock this

I guess it's just the fact that BWilliams never wins a match. He tries hard and ppl respect that but we're hoping to climb the ladder soon and need a ruck to lead the way

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think given time he will be a match winner. He's 2-5 years behind the most of the ruckman getting games at the level, 201cm 101kg's needs to be 105-110 at his peak probably. Unless you're using a top 10 pick on a generational draft prospect [of which none exist in the drafts which have been releant] we need to be investing our draft picks on quality mids.

Bailey is in a bit of a unique position. First of all the club have been developing him as a key forward not a ruckman, so he's come out of the past 2 preseasons with an power forwards athletic profile not a bash and crash rucks profile. You can't address that during in season, and who knows if we'll address it in the next preseason. Second, most developing rucks get to learn their trade in the seconds. Bailey has played basically the entirety of his ruck career as the first ruckman against litterally the best rucks in the country. He's done admirably and it's surely fastracked his development in many ways, but it's not exactly the sort of role that allows you to work on the finer aspects of your ruck work, most significant'y your tap ruck work.

In my opinion our priorities for building this side need to be getting Hewitt fit and on re-intigrated into this midfield, along with our next first round midfield selection. I think Trew makes it, he's basically got the best hands on our list outside of Harley and we really need at least one of these late picks/rookies to come good [after going through about 20 of them under Simpson] and he's the closest any have looked to being AFL level. Yeo is on 3 year deal. Duggan is our captain and on 4 years, Kelly has years left too. We want our ruckman to be peaking in 3-5 years time and we want all our future mids playing as part of an elite midfield group that's transitioning from Yeo-Kelly-Duggan to Reid, Hewitt, pick 3 plus role players. Bailey can be the ruckman that is part of that, his #1 quality is that he cracks in and at times last year he was the only guy in the middle cracking in. He has the right energy to match how we want our big bodied, dominant, aggressive midfield to play and at some point for him to just be the 201cm version of that crew. I think it time he's actually become a better tap ruckman and develop a connection with one of our mids and we'll start seeing taps finding open guys and us winning pure clean ball out of the middle. Remember that Yeo and Kelly never really ever had that even with Nic, it was always Shuey doing that kind of stuff so hardly fair on Bailey to be expected change the way those guys play. Its more important that when the ball is in dispute around the ground and our guys have 50-100 games behind them and are 22-25 that Bailey is a 150 game player and 110kg unit who's now manhandling rucks younger than him, who opposition mids are looking over their shoulder for because its going to seriously hurt if he gets a hold of them.

Does anything stop TB and west coast agreeing to end his current contract so he is actually a free agent? Hawks then pay him enough that we get the top compo? Pick 4?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anything stop TB and west coast agreeing to end his current contract so he is actually a free agent? Hawks then pay him enough that we get the top compo? Pick 4?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
We will get more through a trade so not worth doing that.

I think given time he will be a match winner. He's 2-5 years behind the most of the ruckman getting games at the level, 201cm 101kg's needs to be 105-110 at his peak probably. Unless you're using a top 10 pick on a generational draft prospect [of which none exist in the drafts which have been releant] we need to be investing our draft picks on quality mids.

Bailey is in a bit of a unique position. First of all the club have been developing him as a key forward not a ruckman, so he's come out of the past 2 preseasons with an power forwards athletic profile not a bash and crash rucks profile. You can't address that during in season, and who knows if we'll address it in the next preseason. Second, most developing rucks get to learn their trade in the seconds. Bailey has played basically the entirety of his ruck career as the first ruckman against litterally the best rucks in the country. He's done admirably and it's surely fastracked his development in many ways, but it's not exactly the sort of role that allows you to work on the finer aspects of your ruck work, most significant'y your tap ruck work.

In my opinion our priorities for building this side need to be getting Hewitt fit and on re-intigrated into this midfield, along with our next first round midfield selection. I think Trew makes it, he's basically got the best hands on our list outside of Harley and we really need at least one of these late picks/rookies to come good [after going through about 20 of them under Simpson] and he's the closest any have looked to being AFL level. Yeo is on 3 year deal. Duggan is our captain and on 4 years, Kelly has years left too. We want our ruckman to be peaking in 3-5 years time and we want all our future mids playing as part of an elite midfield group that's transitioning from Yeo-Kelly-Duggan to Reid, Hewitt, pick 3 plus role players. Bailey can be the ruckman that is part of that, his #1 quality is that he cracks in and at times last year he was the only guy in the middle cracking in. He has the right energy to match how we want our big bodied, dominant, aggressive midfield to play and at some point for him to just be the 201cm version of that crew. I think it time he's actually become a better tap ruckman and develop a connection with one of our mids and we'll start seeing taps finding open guys and us winning pure clean ball out of the middle. Remember that Yeo and Kelly never really ever had that even with Nic, it was always Shuey doing that kind of stuff so hardly fair on Bailey to be expected change the way those guys play. Its more important that when the ball is in dispute around the ground and our guys have 50-100 games behind them and are 22-25 that Bailey is a 150 game player and 110kg unit who's now manhandling rucks younger than him, who opposition mids are looking over their shoulder for because its going to seriously hurt if he gets a hold of them.

Yeah, I hear ya but if he's being developed as a forward I just think there's zero chance of that happening with waterman coming good,allen and JWilliams. Add AReid in the mix too.
So he's probably a reasonable ruck back up but at this stage he probably doesn't want to be a backup with the experience he's had.
I agree getting our midfield mix right is top priority, maybe trading Bailey out might fast track that with the picks

Yeah, I hear ya but if he's being developed as a forward I just think there's zero chance of that happening with waterman coming good,allen and JWilliams. Add AReid in the mix too.
So he's probably a reasonable ruck back up but at this stage he probably doesn't want to be a backup with the experience he's had.
I agree getting our midfield mix right is top priority, maybe trading Bailey out might fast track that with the picks

Who's he going to be backing up to though if he stays? I think he could probably back himself in to retain his #1 spot over Flynn. We're talking about a guy who hasn't missed a game in 2 years vs someone who's 3 years older than him and played half as many AFL games.

If we trade him out then fine, can't see us getting anything close coming back the other way. Pretty rare for a 3rd rounder to make it and he's a 70 game player not yet 25. Whats going to come back, a 2nd rounder for us to speculate with in the draft who's odds on to be a bust? If that. He signed a fresh deal earlier in the year, looks pretty happy, new coach.. dunno I think he could be convinced to give up his ambitions of being a forward and try his hand at football immortality. Maybe West Coast build one of the great midfields of all time around Harley Reid and Bailey goes along for the ride. Does anyone think Dean Cox would have been 6x All Australian playing for Fremantle or some shitbox Melbourne club?

Just a thought, but start sounding out Tom DeKoning? 2 years younger and just as big an upside as English.
And listed as an RFA 2025.

Definitely someone we should be throwing the bank at. Carlton will have their hands tied McKay, Curnrow, Walsh, Cera .etc

Just a little share of what I can.

Tom Barrass isn't one of the 'boys' if you will.

He's also very close to genius level IQ, knows it and no matter whom or someone's experiences, thinks he's the smartest person in the room.

Barrass overrode his manager's advice to sign the contract he did when he did.

WCE are 100% not shopping him and never have. But also haven't offered an extension to his current contract. He has been offered a minor pay increase. (TBH I think this is more Clarke trying to show the youngsters we will be reasonable but not held over a barrel)

4 clubs actively chasing him hard. Offers have gotten different and higher as the season has progressed.

Brother and Sister have and or are in the process of moving to Melbourne.
Thought you retired from the industry? Are you back doing some consultancy work. Spill the blood mate, is hawks giving us what we want?

Pick 4 would be better, surely….

But no you can’t do that.
Can you imagine if we could change TB contract making him available for compensation….

Pick 3 - FOS
Pick 4 - Draper

Thinking about it gives me wood.

Good call about how hes going into each year with a forwards build. its also so easy to forget that hes only 24, most rucks dont do much before 25ish anyway

I dont think hes bad at rucking, he just looks too small.
Clearly 201cm isnt too small when Marshal and Xerri who are the best 2 rucks in the comp this year are both 201 cm too.

I dont think hes got it in him to play like Xerri does, but Marshall he could try to emulate somewhat imo.

Gt Bailey and Flynn competing for the #1 ruck spot over the summer, and tell them both that only 1 can play each week, and have 0 hesitation swapping them out at any stage.

Youve convinced me, I think there is a decent player in Bailey

And listed as an RFA 2025.

Definitely someone we should be throwing the bank at. Carlton will have their hands tied McKay, Curnrow, Walsh, Cera .etc

Thought you retired from the industry? Are you back doing some consultancy work. Spill the blood mate, is hawks giving us what we want?

Can you imagine if we could change TB contract making him available for compensation….

Pick 3 - FOS
Pick 4 - Draper

Thinking about it gives me wood.
Could be the case next year but you’d lose one of Waterman or Oscar….. maybe even both and have picks 2,3 and 4…. Bold strategy haha.

I think everyone needs to think of Baileys end game is Darcy Cameron rather than a Xerri or Marshall. At the same age Cameron was just being moved on from the perennial ruck poachers to the pies, with 1 game to his name.

5 years later he’s Collingwoods #1 at 29.

I still have hope in BBBW and it would be mightily annoying to watch him become a decent ruck forward at another club after all the investment in him so far. Especially for a second or third round pick.

He’s now at that crucial 70 game mark now, realistically we should be seeing him get to his prime in the next season or 2. Rucks take a while, physically, and I dare say the role direction and recruitment of Flynn may have inevitably stalled his development if we set a fwd/ruck role for him in the offseason.

Jack Williams emerging does mean he will have some genuine competition for that spot, though. So will be a very interesting preseason

Agree he would be a very tempting pick up for us, if Draper is gone.
Shame we haven't got to see more of Sam this year.

I think he and Harley would be a very effective one - two tandem team, both have real grunt, HR better on the outside and has more flare, but SL is harder than a cats head and wins most one on one contests in close. SL would take a lot of the heat and opposition heavy attention, away from HR.

If we did end up acquiring another first for Tom B, getting Lalor and then a more polished mid like Lindsay, would be a sensational addition to our midfield group, going forward.

Then next pick, taking Kayle Gerreyn with our second rounder and I would be a very happy camper.

An inside bull midfielder.
A balanced mid with good foot skills.
Then a young KPP that can play either end ( reckon he plays CHB at the next level ).

Got to speak to Kayle the other day, mentioned that I thought he would make a really good CHB
He said recruiters been asking this to but coach needs him as ruck resting forward at colts level
Said the dream would be to go to WCE so could stay home, but like all WA boys prepared to go anywhere

Smith hasn't grown at all, is a January birthday, has finished school and is preparing essentially as an AFL player and has a very slim frame.

He is slippery inside and has good hands but against guys who are as fast and slippery as well as the increased speed at AFL level his kicking will be a straight liability and I don't think the rest of his game stacks up.

Now genuinely if we could see FOS play HB for a couple of weeks I could personally make a decision on him. He has all the tools, some amazing skill, a penetrating kick, great overhead for his height and has had injuries but there just seems to be something missing. I want to see the ball coming at him.

Ashcroft is a lesser verison of his older brother imo.

They may not have the best careers but on pure talent I have Lombard, Lalor, Langford, Kako and Berry as my most talented players in the pool. They all have weaknesses and 2 are club tied but from what I've seen this year and last they all have something truly special about their games that screams they could be a superstar. They have high ceilings but could just as easily be busts.

In regards to talent I think the safest pick is Draper. He gets the ball, uses it well, has speed, can play inside and out and runs exceptionally both ways.

(not involved in the draft at all this year)
His hand injury this season has made it hard to judge as well with regard to FOS
Lombard will be wasted at GC they have so many good mids where will he play how will he develop ?
Reminds me of Daniel Kerr is clean and brings others into the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back