List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
FOS is different to what they have. Completely different to Duursma as well.

We will see I guess.
Not really, a bloke who rotates between HFF and mid.

Even then, they still have LDU, Sheezel, etc.

They need a big bodied Cripps type in there to extract the ball, instead of relying on Xerri to do everything.

That was what Phillips was supposed to be, but he's far too small at AFL level to perform the role.

Not really, a bloke who rotates between HFF and mid.

Even then, they still have LDU, Sheezel, etc.

They need a big bodied Cripps type in there to extract the ball, instead of relying on Xerri to do everything.

That was what Phillips was supposed to be, but he's far too small at AFL level to perform the role.
Disagree.

Plus can never have enough of class mids who can go forward and hit the score board. Great above his head.

Like I said if they stay at 2. We will wait and see

Disagree.

Plus can never have enough of class mids who can go forward and hit the score board. Great above his head.

Like I said if they stay at 2. We will wait and see
Well, you can have enough, when you completely neglect your entire list balance by drafting the same type of player for the better part of a decade with your first pick and end up with potatoes in the other roles.

Fixed the initial statement for you Miguel Sanchez. Keep tackling the big issues ✊🏽

Note for all posters, the line for a player to be described as tall is now set at 190.5cm. Be careful, the height police are out in force…

So if the club described him in a different way and the post you were initially replying to was different then you’d be completely vindicated?

Got it.

Well, you can have enough, when you completely neglect your entire list balance by drafting the same type of player for the better part of a decade with your first pick and end up with potatoes in the other roles.
Im sure they have other picks to address those needs? A lot of KPP players projected to go around their 2nd rd pick? As they started to last year.

They could a the team to watch to trade their F1 for the Suns pick, depending what they plan to do with it

Class of FOS in their forward line swapping with Sheezel is pretty tasty for them.

I personally don’t know how anyone thinks Wardlaw, Sheezel, Duursma and LDU are the same players but people see footy different. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Im sure they have other picks to address those needs? As they started to last year.

Class of FOS in their forward line swapping with Sheezel is pretty tasty for them.

I personally don’t know how anyone thinks Wardlaw, Sheezel, Duursma and LDU are the same players but people see footy different. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Because they need a tall forward to pair with Larkey, as well as a proper small forward. They have neither.

They need to manufacture picks in the range for someone like Shanahan, as well as an actual rebounding half back with elite disposal, as Zac Fisher ain't it, Sheezel's gone mid and McKercher will do the same.

Nobody else really provides drive off HB, either through run or elite kicking.

Don't really need tall backs anymore, as they've addressed that for now, but they're currently relying on Teakle and Pink to pair up with Larkey and neither is much chop.

Comben was supposed to be that bloke but he's looking far better in defense and CCJ is a complete bust.

Outside of that, Ford and Taylor ad mid-sized forwards, as is Duursma.

Hansen Junior may address the small forward issue in time but nothing I've seen so far suggests he will.

Simpkin's just an all-round spud.

LDU is elite but is more of a first-receiver than extractor, Sheezel's gone mid and is a similar type, as will McKercher be.

They desperately need a huge body in there to get first hands on the pill, which is why Smillie would be best pick for them if they retain the pick.

These aren't just my thoughts, many on the North board feel exactly the same way.

Because they need a tall forward to pair with Larkey, as well as a proper small forward. They have neither.

They need to manufacture picks in the range for someone like Shanahan, as well as an actual rebounding half back with elite disposal, as Zac Fisher ain't it, Sheezel's gone mid and McKercher will do the same.

Nobody else really provides drive off HB, either through run or elite kicking.

Don't really need tall backs anymore, as they've addressed that for now, but they're currently relying on Teakle and Pink to pair up with Larkey and neither is much chop.

Comben was supposed to be that bloke but he's looking far better in defense and CCJ is a complete bust.

Outside of that, Ford and Taylor ad mid-sized forwards, as is Duursma.

Hansen Junior may address the small forward issue in time but nothing I've seen so far suggests he will.

Simpkin's just an all-round spud.

LDU is elite but is more of a first-receiver than extractor, Sheezel's gone mid and is a similar type, as will McKercher be.

They desperately need a huge body in there to get first hands on the pill, which is why Smillie would be best pick for them if they retain the pick.

These aren't just my thoughts, many on the North board feel exactly the same way.
So FOS isn’t the same? Who has proven he can play forward.

I’ve seen plenty of their fans say they need FOS too. Roos have said they are still building their midfield

Not sure you burn pick 2 for a KPF just for need. Success rate of these types at the high end don’t compare well to high end mids

Like I said they plenty of KPP projected to be around the 20s. I guess it depends where their recruiting team rate those players.

So FOS isn’t the same? Who has proven he can play forward.

I’ve seen plenty of their fans say they need FOS too. Roos have said they are still building their midfield

Not sure you burn pick 2 for a KPF just for need. Success rate of these types at the high end don’t compare well to high end mids

Like I said they plenty of KPP projected to be around the 20s. I guess it depends where their recruiting team rate those players.
Not saying they burn pick 2, if they keep it, they should go for Smillie IMO. FOS won't address their issue of not having a big body around the stoppages. I feel he'll be a very good player but not what they need to complete their midfield.

Otherwise, they're just relying on Xerri to carry the entire load, like they currently are.

Not saying they burn pick 2, if they keep it, they should go for Smillie IMO. FOS won't address their issue of not having a big body around the stoppages. I feel he'll be a very good player but not what they need to complete their midfield.

Otherwise, they're just relying on Xerri to carry the entire load, like they currently are.
LDU top 10 in clearance player in the comp. Wardlaw a very good clearance player.

LDU top 10 in clearance player in the comp. Wardlaw a very good clearance player.

True, Wardlaw is pretty good. Guess he slipped my mind due to being near perma-concussed and not being very high production currently.

Clearances don't equal first touch though, it's the first effective disposal that clears the stoppage area, not the first person to grab the ball.

If LDU is getting hands from a teammate, sharking handballs or picking up a loose ball in a contest and getting a clean disposal away, then that's marked as a clearance. He doesn't have to extract the ball himself.

I think North will look to trade down from 2 to 4 with Crows, take Smillie at 4 then trade their F1 to GCS for pick 6 and take Shanahan.

WCE_phil - I hope this rings true mate!

In a land where kangaroos leap and koalas nap,
WCE_Phil hatched a grand, daring map.
He soared from the West with a gleam in his eye,
To snatch up some stars from Sydney’s bright sky.

First stop was James Peatling, a lad with power and flair,
Phil waltzed in with charm, and a wild, flirty stare.
"Join the Eagles, my friend, we’re soon flying so high,
Sydney's pretty cool, but come on, give Perth a try!"

Next up was Issac Cumming, with skill so divine,
He was making a mark, looking oh-so-fine.
But Phil made his pitch with a dance and a jig,
"Swap your skyline for ours, it's a league-wide big gig!"

Chad Warner was next, with a smile so wide,
Phil said, “Take a chance, join our mighty side!”
With a wink and a nod, he sealed the deal quick,
Chad packed up his gear, he was ready to stick.

Wade Derksen was last, buzzing from the other names,
Phil promised him glory, awards, and great new found fame.
“Leave the Harbour Bridge behind, the Eagles await,
Come be our hero, it’ll be truly great!”

The deals were all sealed, and Sydney was bare,
No talent remained, not a soul left to spare.
Phil flew back to Perth with a grin ear to ear,
Sydney was empty, but WCE cheered!

With their squad now complete, the Eagles took flight,
Their rivals were fuming, their prospects not bright.
WCE_Phil laughed, as the Sydney sun set,
“Thanks for the players; you won’t soon forget!”

It might be the gummy talking but that was pretty funny. I’m surprised you didn’t wedge woodcock and crossley in there too.
Good stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pondering today's three matches we may have 4 or so fit players that would get a game in a contending team. We have to draft and trade in pace, skill and composure. You could call it talent I guess. The cull needs to keep going to clean out half the list over two seasons.

Pondering today's three matches we may have 4 or so fit players that would get a game in a contending team. We have to draft and trade in pace, skill and composure. You could call it talent I guess. The cull needs to keep going to clean out half the list over two seasons.

McGovern, Barrass, Reid, Yeo, Waterman, Allen, Kelly, Duggan, Hough would all walk into any other teams best 22

McGovern, Barrass, Reid, Yeo, Waterman, Allen, Kelly, Duggan, Hough would all walk into any other teams best 22
Who are fit currently? I think you are a little generous with the current form of Yoe, Kelly, Duggan, Allen and
Hough. I could not see the squeezing out players in their position in the Cats, Port etc. I think that's why we are getting belted.

Who are fit currently? I think you are a little generous with the current form of Yoe, Kelly, Duggan, Allen and
Hough. I could not see the squeezing out players in their position in the Cats, Port etc. I think that's why we are getting belted.

On paper they would get games in other teams. But as we've seen over the last few years, the difference between on paper and actual performance on the field's been pretty embarrassing.

As we've seen a number of times this season, Smillie came out in the opening quarter with a frenetic energy and seemed to be everywhere early on finding the footy at will. That energy at times caused him to turn the footy over due to rushed disposal or decision making, but he was overall a big part of Eastern surging out to a significant early lead. He drifted out the game somewhat in the second half, which has become a bit of a trend for him, but overall he still put together a very good game.

We have so many tall forward options

Excluding darling who isn't part of the future you have Allen , waterman, Jwilliams, Maric , Hutchinson, Areid , Livingstone.

You really need to find different roles for 2 to 3 of those guys or they will be playing wafl .

Maric 3rd tall defender with his kicking is 100% what he should do especially if barrass leaves

Hutchinson does his whole pre season with the mids . He looks like a degoey clone

Clone?

The Bad Batch Omega GIF by Star Wars

Our Hutch is a much better looking bloke than boof head De Goney to Bali.

You couldn't see Allen in Ports forward line instead of Ratugolea?

And Harry Edwards was a midfielder and is now a KPD.

Clearly Culley's a better mid than tall forward, because that's what he got drafted as and has played since.
Harry Edwards wasn't a mid he was a KPP/ruck who missed almost all his draft year with injury . He was 195cms in his draft year

But they don't they just prioritise mids with top picks

But they don't they just prioritise mids with top picks
Every single selection before 20 for the last 9 years has been a mid as far as I can tell? Surely there’s a point where you accept your KPPs haven’t come on and it’s worth getting a couple of the top ones with an early pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back