List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
JWilliams is an interesting prospect.
Does one or 2 good things a game.
Lets hope he can up that but it might never happen.
AReid looking more likely I think but both are showing enough to trade out darling and BWilliams

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jack Williams has been exceptional for a 20 year old Key forward /2nd ruck picked with a 4th rounder

Averaging almost a goal a game playing 3rd or 4th tall forward and rucking vs much bigger and more experienced players .

Diamond in the rough player find IMO

Obrien 201
Grundy 202
Briggs 201
Keefe 204
Bryan 203
Mcinerny 204
Meek 203
Xerri 202
Cameron 204
Stanley 200
Pittonet 202
Marshall 201
Darcy 203
Reidy 204
Nankervis 199
Jackson 199

Only Gawn, Witts and English are bigger than 205 and English is a terrible tap ruckman.

Basically the best rucks are the tallest in that list, bar xerri/Nankervis (super aggressive), Marshall/Grundy (4th mids), Jackson (athletic freak).

Gawn, Witts, English arguably 1,2,3 as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Williams has been exceptional for a 20 year old Key forward /2nd ruck picked with a 4th rounder

Averaging almost a goal a game playing 3rd or 4th tall forward and rucking vs much bigger and more experienced players .

If you actually look at his stats from his draft year they are pretty similar to amiss who just had crazy accuracy all year. Amiss had 65 goals 22 behinds and JWill had 51 goals 29 behinds. JWill had way more tackles, more marks, more touches and played in ruck. Very good pick up by us at the time for a quarter of the draft capital.

Literally do anything and everything is my statement here. If you don’t think our ruck situation is a number 1 priority I suggest you watch Xerris game vs us one more time
Xerri is likely the AA ruck this year but it hasn't helped norf at all .

He had 35 hitouts and 13 clearances vs hawks and they lost by 124 points .

Hawks well drilled hard running midfield was the difference.

That's what we need to address more than the ruck

It'll be in a few weeks time, all I can say is this. I'm not going to Sydney for no reason and i'm not just chasing one player.
Issac cummings as a UFA mate ! Much rather pay overs for him than for Graham.

We would have a genuine wingman who isn't a snail or being pigeon holed into that position

Sheldrik whilst you are there .

Also make sure we get afl priority pick . 10 wins in 3 seasons (68 games) is 100% PP territory

Would you pick at our first or if we had a later top 10 pick
Also would you take Urquhart with a late 2nd if we get one in the barrass trade(or somewhere else)

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A lot is going to come down to what draft picks we do or don't have. I doubt he's there but lets just say assuming we were to gets hawks first pick and that ended up being pick 12 and he was there i'd very, very happily draft him.

33 disposals and 4 goals is a big day out.
Will have a look at that game during the week.
Have you had much of a look at Shanahan yet, another 6 goals? He’s had the best month of footy out of anyone really and it will be interesting which club/clubs come hard for him.

It sure was a big day out.

Also have had a bit more of a watch on Shanahan. I think someone will come hard for him, particularly if his form even remotely continues. Something crazy would have to happen in regards to the number of picks we have and list changes for him to be on the draft radar for the club I would think.

Right, with the season now complete, I’ve taken a quick look at the average player ratings for all the players we’ve used this year and how they compare to last year.

Of the 40 players used in 2024:
  • 11 improved in 2024
  • 23 regressed in 2024
  • 6 debutants

Improvers (in order by greatest %):
J.Williams, Chesser, Waterman, Bazzo, Yeo, Gov, Trew, Rotham, Ginbey, H.Edwards, Hunt.

Declined (in order by greatest %):
Barnett, Jones, Sheed, Flynn, Allen, Maric, Petch, Long, Brockman, Ryan, L.Edwards, Culley, B.Williams, Gaff, Cole, Jamieson, Cripps, Witherden, Darling, Hough, Barrass, Kelly, Duggan.

Debutants (in order by greatest average PR):
Reid, Dewar, Hutchinson, Johnston, Hall, Rawlinson.

1724564829559.png
As a refence, Marcus Bontempelli has the higesht average (at the time of writting this) @ 19.49.
14 players in the leage currently average 16 or more.

Individual games
Of our top ten highest averages for 2024, their best games are listed below. Scarily, not only did Harley Reid have the best individual game with 26.7 (RD10 v Melb), he also had the second highest with a 26.1 (RD6 v Freo) too, which is over 10% increase on Hunt's best @ 23.7 (RD19 v StK)
Elliot Yeo - 22.4 - RD5 v Rich
Tim Kelly - 21.9 - RD8 v Ess
Jeremy McGovern - 22.7 - RD16 v Haw
Tom Barrass - 19.3 - RD2 v GWS
Harley Reid - 26.7 - RD10 v Melb
Jake Waterman - 19.9 - RD5 v Rich
Jayden Hunt - 23.7 - RD19 v StK
Reuben Ginbey - 16.1 - RD6 v Freo
Jamie Cripps - 19.8 - RD15 v Ess
Liam Duggan - 15.5 - RD7 v GCS

I've linked Harleys RD10 highlights below. Massive thanks again to Alesana for another huge year of highlights:
#9 Harley Reid

I will look further into how our players faired across the competition in the coming days. May even look in to some of the trade targets we are linked with.

Disclaimer: This is Champion Data's ratings, AKA Player Ratings, not mine. If you don't agree with them, that is fine, email Champion Data. If you wish to further your knowledge on Player Ratings, please refer to this video -

WCE_phil Cheers for the somewhat positive info about our trade targets. Do you know what position the club sees Hutchinson playing long term? He was literally the only shining light for and showed A LOT as an inside mid in half a game. I'm worried they'll just put him back where they think he should be as a hff.

Also do you work for the club or do you have an inside source?
We have so many tall forward options

Excluding darling who isn't part of the future you have Allen , waterman, Jwilliams, Maric , Hutchinson, Areid , Livingstone.

You really need to find different roles for 2 to 3 of those guys or they will be playing wafl .

Maric 3rd tall defender with his kicking is 100% what he should do especially if barrass leaves

Hutchinson does his whole pre season with the mids . He looks like a degoey clone

If you find the 2022 version of this thread I (and a fair few others) were all in on drafting the Poo. I like Ginbey but feel we made a real mistake going the wa boy.

Hope there’s no wa boys we reach for this year. Just take the best available no matter where they come from
I have to admit I wanted the poo at the time

Then he said he wanted to play for a big Vic side in front of big crowds and I was happy with what we got

Then he went to Saints

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

WCE_phil - I hope this rings true mate!

In a land where kangaroos leap and koalas nap,
WCE_Phil hatched a grand, daring map.
He soared from the West with a gleam in his eye,
To snatch up some stars from Sydney’s bright sky.

First stop was James Peatling, a lad with power and flair,
Phil waltzed in with charm, and a wild, flirty stare.
"Join the Eagles, my friend, we’re soon flying so high,
Sydney's pretty cool, but come on, give Perth a try!"

Next up was Issac Cumming, with skill so divine,
He was making a mark, looking oh-so-fine.
But Phil made his pitch with a dance and a jig,
"Swap your skyline for ours, it's a league-wide big gig!"

Chad Warner was next, with a smile so wide,
Phil said, “Take a chance, join our mighty side!”
With a wink and a nod, he sealed the deal quick,
Chad packed up his gear, he was ready to stick.

Wade Derksen was last, buzzing from the other names,
Phil promised him glory, awards, and great new found fame.
“Leave the Harbour Bridge behind, the Eagles await,
Come be our hero, it’ll be truly great!”

The deals were all sealed, and Sydney was bare,
No talent remained, not a soul left to spare.
Phil flew back to Perth with a grin ear to ear,
Sydney was empty, but WCE cheered!

With their squad now complete, the Eagles took flight,
Their rivals were fuming, their prospects not bright.
WCE_Phil laughed, as the Sydney sun set,
“Thanks for the players; you won’t soon forget!”

All they've drafted is HFF/mids for the past 4 years and they just picked up Duursma last year.

Picking up yet another of the exact same type of player is probably exactly what I expect them to do, because it's dumb as shit.
Norf have picked up plenty of other positions of players just with later picks .

They seem to be using their top picks exclusively for mids . Missing logan MacDonald was a head scratcher

They have more young key defenders than we do and they also picked up Hardeman as a HBF and Dawson (KPD) in the first round last season .

I have a feeling they might just take best available at 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. He's a footballer who is developing athletically. Likely type imo

Norf have picked up plenty of other positions of players just with later picks .

They seem to be using their top picks exclusively for mids . Missing logan MacDonald was a head scratcher

They have more young key defenders than we do and they also picked up Hardeman as a HBF and Dawson (KPD) in the first round last season .

Yes, that's the point.

When they've had opportunities to take an elite talent in a position they desperately needed(McDonald), they went for an undersized inside mid, who'll be gone at the end of the year.

In desperate need of a proper small forward but they skipped Watson for Duursma last year, when they already have a plethora of players in his position.

If they take Smillie this year, then that's fine.

If they go for FOS over him though, that'd just mean they learnt literally nothing after taking almost the exact kind of player in Duursma last year.

They desperately need an elite KPF to pair up with Larkey before he gets too old.

Yes, that's the point.

When they've had opportunities to take an elite talent in a position they desperately needed(McDonald), they went for an undersized inside mid, who'll be gone at the end of the year.

In desperate need of a proper small forward but they skipped Watson for Duursma last year, when they already have a plethora of players in his position.

If they take Smillie this year, then that's fine.

If they go for FOS over him though, that'd just mean they learnt literally nothing after taking almost the exact kind of player in Duursma last year.

They desperately need an elite KPF to pair up with Larkey before he gets too old.
Spot on. Smillie, outside chance of Langford or they trade down unless Shanahan puts himself into pick 2-3 calculations.

Could conceivably turn pick 2 and change into Trainor and Shanahan in a deal with Freo or GCS.

Basically the best rucks are the tallest in that list, bar xerri/Nankervis (super aggressive), Marshall/Grundy (4th mids), Jackson (athletic freak).

Gawn, Witts, English arguably 1,2,3 as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You ruled out 5 ruckmen, 4 of whom are clearly in the top 6 rucks in the comp this year. Jackson hasn't played enough ruck time to be in this category.

Marshall and Xerri are easily in the top 3 rucks in the comp this year. Marshall arguably got robbed of AA last year tbh, he gets overlooked in a boring Saints side.

Witts is hitouts and nothing else. English is a spud, if he wasnt so tall he wouldnt get a game, Id rather Marshall around the ground than English tbh.

We have so many tall forward options

Excluding darling who isn't part of the future you have Allen , waterman, Jwilliams, Maric , Hutchinson, Areid , Livingstone.

You really need to find different roles for 2 to 3 of those guys or they will be playing wafl .

Maric 3rd tall defender with his kicking is 100% what he should do especially if barrass leaves

Hutchinson does his whole pre season with the mids . He looks like a degoey clone
Hutchinson isnt and never was a tall forward. I dont know why people think this.

They really have just missed on drafting KPFs.
Wouldnt be surprised if they split pick 2 and take a couple of KPFs, and then try to trade in a Darling/Sam Day/Casboult type or a Peter Wright type who is out of favour to help Larkey for a couple of years until they have something else.

Remarkably this was Finn's first appearance in the Talent League since the opening game of the season. The Chargers have been a huge disappointment all year, but this was the first time since the first quarter of the opening game that they've had their Rolls Royce of a midfield trio all playing at full capacity and they rolled over the red hot favourites for the Talent League crown. Finn was hugely influential through the middle early before seeming to run out of tickets in the second half and playing largely in the forward line. We're finally getting to see the real Finn O'Sullivan at something approaching full capacity and he looks to be making a late run at pick 1.

WCE_phil - I hope this rings true mate!

In a land where kangaroos leap and koalas nap,
WCE_Phil hatched a grand, daring map.
He soared from the West with a gleam in his eye,
To snatch up some stars from Sydney’s bright sky.

First stop was James Peatling, a lad with power and flair,
Phil waltzed in with charm, and a wild, flirty stare.
"Join the Eagles, my friend, we’re soon flying so high,
Sydney's pretty cool, but come on, give Perth a try!"

Next up was Issac Cumming, with skill so divine,
He was making a mark, looking oh-so-fine.
But Phil made his pitch with a dance and a jig,
"Swap your skyline for ours, it's a league-wide big gig!"

Chad Warner was next, with a smile so wide,
Phil said, “Take a chance, join our mighty side!”
With a wink and a nod, he sealed the deal quick,
Chad packed up his gear, he was ready to stick.

Wade Derksen was last, buzzing from the other names,
Phil promised him glory, awards, and great new found fame.
“Leave the Harbour Bridge behind, the Eagles await,
Come be our hero, it’ll be truly great!”

The deals were all sealed, and Sydney was bare,
No talent remained, not a soul left to spare.
Phil flew back to Perth with a grin ear to ear,
Sydney was empty, but WCE cheered!

With their squad now complete, the Eagles took flight,
Their rivals were fuming, their prospects not bright.
WCE_Phil laughed, as the Sydney sun set,
“Thanks for the players; you won’t soon forget!”
I'm sure you could have found something to rhyme with sheldrik

If Baker says no and Tim English said no, we basically have 1.8 mill floating around to use so lets go nuts

This probably falls into line of getting compensation from AFL too. If they can give us 2 end of 1st round picks would like to think we can turn that + our 1.8 mill into some readymade best 22 footballers
Umm Barrass wants bit more please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back