List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The wet season is all year round..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Flirty Flirting GIF

I would love a Zac Johnson and a Hamish Davis and Will Hayes
So would I, but I think Johnson and Davis will land around the same time as a Champion bid. If a bid comes late and we can trade into the 30s/early 40s and get either of them before a bid I’d be stoked. Hayes I think will make it to the rookie draft so hopefully an option there too.
Think we need to all call in to all the sport shows and say we dont want Liam Baker

92.9 abc 6pr any others

If enough people do it can genuinely have a effect.

It will also start to shape the media's view of the trade
Can we not just get WCE_phil to blow up the Baker trade and then all chip in for his march/april trip?

Even if you could guarantee that it were Pick 1, I wouldn’t trade this year’s Pick 3 for next year’s Pick 1. For 99% of teams in AFL history, pulling the trigger on that is such a no brainer. It’s a two spot upgrade for free, and next year’s kid sounds great. Sadly, given everything we’ve sat through, we are the 1% of football teams.

We need a kid in the door now. We have nowhere near enough substance in the 22-30 age bracket. Our heavy lifters are at either end, and we’re on two clocks. 1) when Yeo/Gov slow down and stop being able to do some major work, and 2) when Reid needs to commit to this program. This isn’t some “he’s leaving back to Vic” woe is us crap, it’s just a fact - he’s on a three year deal and has 17 other suitors across the league who would trade anything for him.

We need a kid in the door now to build rapport, to show some gradual improvement, and to be further along in their development when the time comes for them to truly step up. Our midfield mix is disgraceful - we have a rotation of three mids and Liam Duggan. It’s 2024 and we’re trying to run out games with, essentially, no midfield options beyond the starting group. That’s before you get to the fact that our third best mid isn’t a mid but a HFF/mid rotation, forced to play the role of extractor and distributor in the thinnest midfield group in footy.

Get a kid in now. They're good kids by the sounds, not Reid calibre but reliable kids who will have ample opportunity in whatever role they want. Show the fans that there’s life after Gov and Yeo, show Harley that something is building now, not ‘trust us it’s worth it this next kid in your contract year will be great.’ And all of this is before the inherit and major risk of it not actually being Pick 1.

Just take the pick.

A simple question: is the draft order determined by the ladder at end of H&A or at the end of the season?

End of the season eg if Carlton win the flag they are pick 18 and not 11.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to disinfect my fingers after typing 'Carlton win the flag'.

So my first job didn't pay enough for a sausage roll for a whole mornings work.

Coles New World Midland 0830-1200 and was paid $5.25.

I see you left Coles and went to Woolworths and became Mr Woolies..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Genuinely don’t understand how Baker is seen first round material. As midfield/forward he doesn’t kick enough goals to warrant a high pick and in the middle he isn’t getting a heap of it either. I know touches aren’t everything but his impact still ain’t that elite per touches IMO.

For his fault I think Duggan can fill that midfield rotation for us without hurting the bank and for his fault as a dodgy kick he still uses it alot better than Baker.

We are still at an early stage of a rebuild that we need to back high picks and also bank high end young talent and can’t afford to throw picks away just cause we need decent senior talent.

Yes losing Barrass really dents our senior stocks but Baker ain’t close to the calibre of a player like Barrass.

Even if you could guarantee that it were Pick 1, I wouldn’t trade this year’s Pick 3 for next year’s Pick 1. For 99% of teams in AFL history, pulling the trigger on that is such a no brainer. It’s a two spot upgrade for free, and next year’s kid sounds great. Sadly, given everything we’ve sat through, we are the 1% of football teams.

We need a kid in the door now. We have nowhere near enough substance in the 22-30 age bracket. Our heavy lifters are at either end, and we’re on two clocks. 1) when Yeo/Gov slow down and stop being able to do some major work, and 2) when Reid needs to commit to this program. This isn’t some “he’s leaving back to Vic” woe is us crap, it’s just a fact - he’s on a three year deal and has 17 other suitors across the league who would trade anything for him.

We need a kid in the door now to build rapport, to show some gradual improvement, and to be further along in their development when the time comes for them to truly step up. Our midfield mix is disgraceful - we have a rotation of three mids and Liam Duggan. It’s 2024 and we’re trying to run out games with, essentially, no midfield options beyond the starting group. That’s before you get to the fact that our third best mid isn’t a mid but a HFF/mid rotation, forced to play the role of extractor and distributor in the thinnest midfield group in footy.

Get a kid in now. They're good kids by the sounds, not Reid calibre but reliable kids who will have ample opportunity in whatever role they want. Show the fans that there’s life after Gov and Yeo, show Harley that something is building now, not ‘trust us it’s worth it this next kid in your contract year will be great.’ And all of this is before the inherit and major risk of it not actually being Pick 1.

Just take the pick.

This is the sort of sensible rebuttal I was hoping for. Cheers, nice to hear from someone who isn't already emotionally attached one of the 2024 top picks.

There are a lot of moving parts that go into a decision like this and whether it's a good idea or not you can't really say until after the trade period. I am very thrown by the club being into the Richmond boys and Peatling. We do need to address that 22-30 range and it seems like we are going to do that. And if we do, it improves us significantly. Taking the improve your bottom 6 now with ready made players is kind of the opposite of what Richmond is looking to to, and is basically following the Hawthorn model. If we commit fully to that, internally the club should be looking to replicate what the Hawks have do even if many supporters- particularly those in this thread- think we are still 5 years away from breaking out of bottom 3.

You are right, Harley is a factor for sure. I prefer the trade I proposed for the sign up Harley campaign. To me attacking the post 2024 season by getting a bunch of older bodies around him and then rising up the ladder is something that he will appreciate more so than having another gun 18 year old mid in the side. I sincerely doubt he cares about that at all, if I had to bet I'd sooner bet these top tier draft kids are competitive as hell and I reckon let Harley be the shinny new toy for one more season. We still bring in a quality midfielder at around pick 12 and that kid will probably be ready for some senior footy, but not set the world on fire. We can definitely take a rock solid 200 game player with that pick though. I don't think you want to bring in another marquee type player who is within 12 months of Harley age wise, not sure you want him weighing up a big offer to Collingwood and thinking, "well the club is pretty set and Drapes is honestly my pick for next captain so not necessarily end of the world if I go home and the Eagles get well compensated." Does Judd make the same call he made if Cousins and Kerr are not there?

When he's weighing up his future at the end of 2025, I'd personally think the best case scenario is that we've traded hard rather than drafted hard and drastically improved our win loss ratio. We still got in some very solid players thanks to the Barrass trade and astute drafting after that, and those kids is coming along nicely. And we have pick 1 to spend on the best kid in the country to head into 2026 who Harley can play big brother to, nice little age buffer there and Harley feeling that he's now establishing himself as THE guy to take this club beyond the Yeo, Kelly retirements.

I'm not saying don't take the pick, just keep an open mind.

Hearing tonight that something big may be in the works involving Melbourne, Gold Coast and Adelaide.

Apparently along the lines of:

GainLose
MelbourneF1 (Adelaide), R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*Petracca, Neal-Bullen, R4 (Melbourne) 61*
Gold CoastPetracca, R4 (Adelaide) 60*, R4 (Melbourne) 61*Lukosius, R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*
AdelaideLukosius, Neal-BullenF1, R4 (Adelaide) 60*

Melbourne want to get a best-22 player under age 25 as part the deal though (J.Rachele and M.Andrew named as preferred), however if they can use the pick 6 from Gold Coast to gain B.Smith from the Bulldogs it will be good enough for them.

That said, the same source this is coming from was also adamant that Buddy Franklin was going be at Gold Coast in 2024, so take it all with a rather large pinch of salt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting re: Bolton/Baker. These guys have very good mail too, much better than any other club podcasts on this site.

Like, but doesn't make a lot of sense. Baker staying if Bolton leaves suggests it is about $, but then later says it isn't about $.

Unless Baker really dislikes Bolton

Hearing tonight that something big may be in the works involving Melbourne, Gold Coast and Adelaide.

GainLose
MelbourneF1 (Adelaide), R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*Petracca, Neal-Bullen, R4 (Melbourne) 62*
Gold CoastPetracca, R4 (Adelaide) 60*, R4 (Melbourne) 62*Lukosius, R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*

Melbourne want to get a best-22 player under age 25 as part the deal though (J.Rachele and M.Andrew named as preferred), however if they can use the pick 6 from Gold Coast to gain B.Smith from the Bulldogs it will be good enough for them.

That said, the same source this is coming from was also adamant that Buddy Franklin was going be at Gold Coast in 2024, so take it all with a rather large pinch of salt.
The Suns are one club that definitely have the draft capital to get Petrucca without even requiring the Crows help. Cap space would be the issue.

Like, but doesn't make a lot of sense. Baker staying if Bolton leaves suggests it is about $, but then later says it isn't about $.

Unless Baker really dislikes Bolton
Yeah I haven’t watched episode yet to follow, and agreed I can’t quite see the link. They're just usually pretty good with mail, so I thought it was interesting.

The Graham and Baker being mates element from a few weeks ago is one thing, this though I don’t quite follow.

GainLose
MelbourneF1 (Adelaide), R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*Petracca, Neal-Bullen, R4 (Melbourne) 61*
Gold CoastPetracca, R4 (Adelaide) 60*, R4 (Melbourne) 61*Lukosius, R1 (Gold Coast) 6*, R2 (Brisbane) 34*

Petracca isn’t going to the Suns if one of his key drivers is professionalism and the other is marketability, surely.

GainLose

Even though Gary Lyon is a knob, he was adamant tonight that Petracca would "not be traded under any circumstances".

You could see again he was filthy that it was even being discussed.

There's a lot to play out I guess.

This is my very optimistic take on team structure in 5 years

Obviously we'll still have some good draft picks over the next 2-3 years to fill some of those holes

But I see the need to (aside from taking a mid with pick 3 this year & TT with TB pick) target (1) top shelf small fwd (2) very good tall def (3) a wingman (4) acquire a passable ruckman somehow (5) draft another solid mid

Ages of older campaigners at 2029 in brackets

There's a couple big ifs included (Hewett feet, AReid a CHB, HReid staying)

1724687065044.png

dream offseason in order of importance & including likelihood of occurrence.

1. Fix Hewett feet (?%)
2. Nail coach appointment, including someone who'll sort out Harley's on-field antics (who would know likelihood)
3. Maximise TB trade value (dependent on Hawks' finishing position, but at worst needs to be Hawks 1R + pick 30) (70%)
3. draft draper or FOS or Smith - Not Smillie (90%) (I'm open to the trade down suggested earlier where we can still get Lalor/Langford & get an extra pick 10-ish from Tigers which guarantees we get TT, and then the pick per [4] below gets used on Lindsay)
4. Travaglia (or Lindsay if not TT) makes it to our 2nd pick i.e. Hawks' 1R (50%)
5. Get an end or R1 priority pick (unlikely) but if we don't, don't use anything of worth on Baker (30%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back