List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at what we played this year, with players in red that are midfield/flanker types it looks like we need to find ~103 games from new/existing players

NameGamesAverage
Alex Witherden
18​
17.11​
Andrew Gaff
5​
15.6​
Dominic Sheed
8​
12.12​
Jamaine Jones
11​
11.27​
Luke Edwards
12​
10.83​
Jack Petruccelle
16​
10.69​
Zane Trew
7​
10​
Jai Culley
3​
9.33​
Tyler Brockman
10​
8.4​
Josh Rotham
13​
8.23​

Add in:
~20 from no. 3 pick
~12 additional games from Clay Hall (takes him to 15 for season)
~15 Jack Graham (Free agent)
~15 Brendan Parfitt (Free agent)
You get to 62 games. Still need to find a lot more games so picking up Graham and Parfitt for free seems to make sense if they are fit and healthy, as they won't be curtailing kids games. Can even add in Peatling for 20 games and still have plenty of games left over.

That doesn't even account for injuries / players missing games.
We get Long(played 7 games), Hewett, and Hutchinson(half the year)
Thats 13 from Long, 15 from Hewett, and 10 from Hutchinson, makes 38. Add to your 62 is 100

Then you count for games that other might play to cover any shortfall. Johnston, Brockman(who will be around still, idk why hes listed in your thing), pick from Barrass, etc these guys could all get 12+ games potentially.

Parfitt+Graham+ 1 of Baker/Dev/peatling and thats us covered tbh

Looking at what we played this year, with players in red that are midfield/flanker types it looks like we need to find ~103 games from new/existing players

NameGamesAverage
Alex Witherden
18​
17.11​
Andrew Gaff
5​
15.6​
Dominic Sheed
8​
12.12​
Jamaine Jones
11​
11.27​
Luke Edwards
12​
10.83​
Jack Petruccelle
16​
10.69​
Zane Trew
7​
10​
Jai Culley
3​
9.33​
Tyler Brockman
10​
8.4​
Josh Rotham
13​
8.23​

Add in:
~20 from no. 3 pick
You get to 62 games. Still need to find a lot more games so picking up Graham and Parfitt for free seems to make sense if they are fit and healthy, as they won't be curtailing kids games. Can even add in Peatling for 20 games and still have plenty of games left over.

personally i haven't written brockman off just yet.
a difficult season forsure, but he has upside and hopefully a better run at it next year will lead to better on field production.

Trauma? It's footy, a contact sport not a youtube influencer crying for likes.

He's mummas boy and won't leave Melbourne anyway.
Whilst trauma is one of the most overused words these days, a serious injury that puts your long-term health at risk is indeed pretty traumatic for the person involved and their family.

Sounds like Parfitt hasn’t been offered a new contract at Cats. As an unrestricted free agent that costs nothing, he may be worth a chat too.
Would do this over graham/baker tbh. Genuine inside mid that would be decent depth if we want to protect the kids a bit more. at 26 he's a decent age.

We don’t have the luxury of not trading Barrass at, arguably, his highest value.
Geelong were competing for the flag and having TK on their team was of obvious importance challenging for the flag,

Barrass’ value only plummets from here as he gets closer to being 30 years old

Not trading him puts a serious dent in our rebuild
You are presenting classic arguments for getting bent over.

Something this club has done for along time.

We don’t have the luxury of not trading Barrass at, arguably, his highest value.
Geelong were competing for the flag and having TK on their team was of obvious importance challenging for the flag,

Barrass’ value only plummets from here as he gets closer to being 30 years old

Not trading him puts a serious dent in our rebuild

If the offer isn't reasonable his value has plummeted.

If a team chases a player with 3 years left on a contract and offer $100k more a year plus an additional year it does not mean they get them at a discount.

If that happened then every club would do it.

And every club isn't doing it. For good reason.

NameGamesAverage
Alex Witherden
18​
17.11​
Andrew Gaff
5​
15.6​
Dominic Sheed
8​
12.12​
Jamaine Jones
11​
11.27​
Luke Edwards
12​
10.83​
Jack Petruccelle
16​
10.69​
Zane Trew
7​
10​
Jai Culley
3​
9.33​
Tyler Brockman
10​
8.4​
Josh Rotham
13​
8.23​

Add in:
~20 from no. 3 pick

Interesting way of looking at things. I would be hoping for quite a few more games from Hewett and Maric next year I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parfitts VFL numbers seem fairly good, I think he could add something to us and the Beagles. Would be cheap and cost nothing but a salary.

With Waterman publicly stating his strong desire to remain at WCE does anyone think it’s a little odd that a deal hasn’t been done? I.e. that WCE are open to a trade for the right price?

Also was passed a bit of info. Apparently Ryan’s manager has/is actively gauging interest from the QLD teams and possibly Freo. If a team is keen on him for a good trade it’s a no brainer and he would be a good fit at Freo or the Suns in particular.

If the club takes DGB as part of the barrass I'll ****in scream. Wait for him to be delisted and rookie him. Clubs needs to have some balls here.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just because he is included doesn't mean he has added huge value. DGB is the bit of window dressing that would be all.

Now one reason to include him is to get him into our system and training with us sooner than we would if we go the DFA route.

Both options have pros and cons.

P
Play him in the WAFL if he’s not playing to standard or don’t pay him if he’s not fulfilling the requirements of his contract.

I’m beginning to see him as a mercenary but I think he is a professional.
I don't think Barrass is a mercenary, he is looking out for his own career obviously, but in this case, I think the club and him are on the same page. The club is helping him get more money, maybe more success, he's helping the club get more picks at a time when it's rebuilding. It makes sense and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they have worked closely together on it.

Parfitts VFL numbers seem fairly good, I think he could add something to us and the Beagles. Would be cheap and cost nothing but a salary.

TK may need a new wing man if JJ is let go. ;) :think:

Listening to JJ talk about his bromance with TK was somewhat cringeworthy TBH.

Parfitt is more of a defensive minded inside mid. So competing with Peatling, Graham and Dev. So unlikely unless one or two of those options falls over.

Tom has said himself he lack motivation after winning the flag. I think he might not go into next season firing on all cylinders if he's still here
Besides that this is our best opportunity to really turbo charge our rebuild

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We won’t be turbo charging a rebuild with pick 14 or 15 on its own.

We are in the strong position ie he is contracted and yet you are presenting us as the supplicant, needy party.

Yes, we would like some more draft capital but that doesn’t mean we undersell one of our elite players.

TK may need a new wing man if JJ is let go. ;) :think:

Listening to JJ talk about his bromance with TK was somewhat cringeworthy TBH.

Parfitt is more of a defensive minded inside mid. So competing with Peatling, Graham and Dev. So unlikely unless one or two of those options falls over.
Why are people talking like Peatling and Dev are done deals? It's far more likely we won't get either than we will imo.

Yeah have a feeling the difference between the two clubs is that Woosha put his head in the sand, whereas Goodwin is actively involved in poor decision making
No doubt Woosha and the club did but it was also a different era back then. Behavioural clauses in contracts weren't common, the AFL washed its hands when the club turned to them for help (albeit late in the day) and there was no real precedent of what to do and not to do. Sacking players for rumoured behaviour outside the club was (and still potentially is) fraught with danger.

Due to the Eagles meltdown, everyone has a better idea of what to do and not to do. I like to see us as trail blaizers. We should be thanked.

Parfitts AFL numbers (when not sub) are very good

Never understood why he doesn't get more regular games
Too young, needs a few more years of development to be ready for Geelong's midfield but can't force his way in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back