List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Schofield was on 6PR last night for his regular spot with Adam Papalia

When asked why Barrass might be leaving, Schofield made the comment more than once along the lines of why would he stay, the teams been crap for 3 years. He also expressed surprise that other players hadn’t asked to leave for the same reason

The impression I got was Schofield was giving his own opinion. Maybe TB had said that to him privately to him at some point, maybe not. It is fair to say Schofield is on TB’s side on this as he he also claimed that West Coast had pulled the rug out from under Barrass

Perhaps whoever told you got Schofield and Barrass mixed up but that’d be me guessing

Personally I doubt Barrass is telling media people what he thinks as he strikes me as someone who’d prefer not to talk to him

And finally, if he is fed up at the team being shit then it’s hard to blame him - I’ve no doubt Sam Mitchell reminded him in his conversations that we’re bad and might be for a while yet

I’ve no ill will towards Barrass and hope he plays well at Hawthorn and gets a deserved AA spot at some point. I also hope he remains a one premiership player
The more advanced Schoey gets in his media career the more I believe him to be a salty campaigner who cant get over the fact that he was never a B22 lock down back.

I doubt he knows sh*t these days with all the badmouthing he has done about the club.

When asked why Barrass might be leaving, Schofield made the comment more than once along the lines of why would he stay, the teams been crap for 3 years. He also expressed surprise that other players hadn’t asked to leave for the same reason

The impression I got was Schofield was giving his own opinion. Maybe TB had said that to him privately to him at some point, maybe not. It is fair to say Schofield is on TB’s side on this as he he also claimed that West Coast had pulled the rug out from under Barrass

Perhaps whoever told you got Schofield and Barrass mixed up but that’d be me guessing

Personally I doubt Barrass is telling media people what he thinks as he strikes me as someone who’d prefer not to talk to him

And finally, if he is fed up at the team being shit then it’s hard to blame him - I’ve no doubt Sam Mitchell reminded him in his conversations that we’re bad and might be for a while yet

I’ve no ill will towards Barrass and hope he plays well at Hawthorn and gets a deserved AA spot at some point. I also hope he remains a one premiership player
I don’t think it has anything to do with winning or losing. Listening to his recent Pod on Dyl and friend and how he thought a the premiership would change everything and didn’t, don’t think he is doing this to chase a flag.

Went on about how he is about ethics ect. The going back on a deal might have played a bigger part and also getting what he thinks he is worth.

Im saying from our point of view. How many non best 22 players for the long term future just signed a 4 year contract..

The contract length doesnt strike me as a WAFL player
Nothing wrong with keeping him for 4 years regardless of whether hes best 22. Good player to have around. have to offer him more security if hes moving across the country too

Id imagine he will be best 22 for 4 years anyway unless we recruit other mature mids, as Yeo and Kelly move out Graham just moves in. Cant see us willingly going with 4-5 kids as our midfield

Sounds like he had a crack at a few of his teammates.... Not professional in any way

He ragged his team mates in the media mid season - said that the midfield and forwards didn’t work hard enough and it put the defense under pressure. Also regularly frustrated with Harry Edwards’s poor positioning, but hey, he probably just heard me shouting from the stands…

He likes to portray a ‘deep thinker’, I would imagine he is happy to share strong opinions behind the scenes.

Whats one good reason to waste a first or second round draft pick to trade in Baker - riddle me this. I'll wait.
Good reason #1...

hold it...

it's coming..

there it is...

no, sorry, good reason slipped away just as it was about to show itself.

(Please, please, please go to Freo. Can we start a crowdfunding campaign to make it happen?)

As if i promised id be correct every time? I think thats peoples assumptions. Like when people assumed I said Rotham was going to Adelaide when in actuality it was reported on the news for example...

Perhaps the issue is how you say things. If people are constantly misinterpreting what you are saying then the issue is you.

Stop presenting opinions that sound as facts. It’s either deliberate or you lack self awareness. Either way, it’s your problem.

Is it just me or does this whole reneging on a handshake deal sound like crap? I mean surely some dodgy off the books deal to pay someone more later on is considered to be against the salary cap rules?
And why would we do a dodgy handshake deal and not just give him extra years & pay at the time? It's not like we didn't know we'd have plenty of cap space opening up and we would have known that we could back load the last couple of years to make up for some supposed shortfall on the front end of the contract

Last edited:
Is it just me or does this whole reneging on a handshake deal sounds like crap? I mean surely some dodgy off the books deal to pay someone more later on is considered to be against the salary cap rules?
And why would we do a dodgy handshake deal and not just give him extra years & pay at the time? It's not like we didn't know we'd have plenty of cap space opening up and we would have known that we could back load the last couple of years to make up for some supposed shortfall on the front end of the contract

Also by the alleged "smartest guy in the room". Doesn't sound like a particularly smart decision to me.

not sure you realise the extent of TB's

Epic amount of mayo put on it there by TB. If he was that worried about it he would be retired by now and if his back was screwed Hawthorn wouldn’t be giving 4-5 year contract. He would have done a medical with them at some point obviously.

Is it just me or does this whole reneging on a handshake deal sounds like crap? I mean surely some dodgy off the books deal to pay someone more later on is considered to be against the salary cap rules?

But they didn’t reneg. The they did offer him a raise, didn’t they? Assumption is they discussed how much of a raise it needs to be and then they lowballed.

We went shopping and found a club that offers more and wanted it met. Every player that chooses to leave will find more money offered elsewhere.

He is chasing money and that’s it. Fair enough he wants that but don’t blame the club. Club is honouring the contract he signed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more advanced Schoey gets in his media career the more I believe him to be a salty campaigner who cant get over the fact that he was never a B22 lock down back.

I doubt he knows sh*t these days with all the badmouthing he has done about the club.
Thought I read somewhere that those kind of handshake deals involving other trades aren't allowed in the afl

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, heard WSchoey say that.
Barrass' move is purely financial. He bought a house for $3.5m a couple of years ago when interest rates were low. He may have kicked in say $1 - 1 5m leaving a hefty mortgage. He also signed his playing contract around that time and was happy with his position.
Since then interest rates have climbed and his monthly mortgage payments would have increased accordingly. In addition, children (not sure if 1 or 2) have come along and he, like your average Joe blow, might be feeling the pinch. But he is not your average Joe blow. Where most WA players (with the exception of Nic) would would spend more frugally, he went Hollywood.
His solution was to ask/blackmail the club to rewrite his contract and get more money/time.
I am happy that the Club is appearing to stand firm and don't think we will miss him as much as some may think . He regularly gets ripped a new one by the better forwards who have a bit of pace on the lead.

Absolutely no issue whatsoever with how WCE or Barrass have played this. Reading between the lines WCE recognise he’s one of very few players with high currency and would prefer he move for the right price.

TB I’m sure would have preferred stay if the money and contract length was the same but can’t have a go at him for taking up the better offer.

As long as the draft capital coming back is commensurate then this is a win for all three parties.

Id argue it's more of a way of asking scenario.

Has he gone to Sydney and said "Sydney offering me 5 year 4 mill so match that"

You compare the Liam Baker to Tom Barrass situations and something is wildly different about each I feel. Maybe cos Barrass is a bigger name though?

Reading this thread is like being the only sober person at a party.

I am surprised that you would have any comprehension as to what that would feel like. 😜

Last edited:
Epic amount of mayo put on it there by TB. If he was that worried about it he would be retired by now and if his back was screwed Hawthorn wouldn’t be giving 4-5 year contract. He would have done a medical with them at some point obviously.
I did a similar injury 4WDing - was in back brace for a while, and although it doesn't stop me doing anything now, it can still cause pain. Compression fractures never go back to normal

He had bad mouthed the eagles, because of how terrible they are. Completely and utterly called for. Shit, he is just sharing the bigfooty sentiment at the end of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back