List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:

They could get Bolton and Kosi, with **** all left for Trac unless they trade out some good players.

What would Sean Darcy fetch?
Darcy + 2nd rounder + Switkowski + Erasmus idk should get a couple 1st rounders that might be enough for Trac
Freo should go hard for kozi and shai this year which is all realistic

Next year their first and fatboy darcy for the Chad

If we don’t clear out our Cat A rookie list for this year’s draft we are really, really going to regret it. Artemis, Boxshall, Hayes and maybe even Dennis just to name some local boys who may make it to rookie selections.

Cut deep, elevate Maric, keep Hutch, re-rookie Culley if everyone else we like is gone and cut Trew, Baker and Rawlinson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Journos that can’t get basic facts right shit me

We haven’t already opened up two spots with the retirement of Gaff and Barrass asking for a trade. Our list was at 45 so there’s only one spot open so far. And that’s reliant on Barrass actually being traded which whilst likely, hasn’t happened yet

Rant aside, it makes sense we haven’t made any definite cuts yet because we need to see what players, if any, come in via trade before delisting players we might choose to keep if Phil ****s up his cage rattling and no one comes. Also depends on contracted players asking for a trade out other than Barrass

Rotham potentially being picked up as a Free Agent won’t help us unfortunately if Graham is signed up due to the vagaries of the FA compo rules

Journos that can’t get basic facts right shit me

We haven’t already opened up two spots with the retirement of Gaff and Barrass asking for a trade. Our list was at 45 so there’s only one spot open so far. And that’s reliant on Barrass actually being traded which whilst likely, hasn’t happened yet

Rant aside, it makes sense we haven’t made any definite cuts yet because we need to see what players, if any, come in via trade before delisting players we might choose to keep if Phil ****s up his cage rattling and no one comes. Also depends on contracted players asking for a trade out other than Barrass

Rotham potentially being picked up as a Free Agent won’t help us unfortunately if Graham is signed up due to the vagaries of the FA compo rules
When it's put that way I feel like a Rotham for Graham straight swap is a pretty decent deal for us. Graham is a far superior player.

When it's put that way I feel like a Rotham for Graham straight swap is a pretty decent deal for us. Graham is a far superior player.
But, depending on the contract, Rotham signed elsewhere and no Graham could be a free R3 or R4 pick somewhere at a low level of compo, which could help with a Champion bid.

So reported Malcom Rosas (GC) has been encouraged to look elsewhere.

Could that be linked to our Ryans manager also reported talking to Qld clubs?

We dont need a Rosas. Essendon, Carlton, North. Plenty do.

Im calling it. This trade period will be the biggest in a long while. Crazy movements. Petracca has stirred up a hornets nest. Bolton. Rioli. Pickett. Barrass. Houston. Smith. Battle.

Some decent names there.

I don’t mind the draft capital free pick up, the length of the deal is the concern. 4 years is a poor structure for an average UFA with as much cap space in the next two years as we do. For argument sake let’s say it’s 4 years @600k/year.

Why not make it 2 years @900k a year with a club option for the final 2 years @300k? If we’re unhappy after 2 years we’re off the hook for 600k and a list spot and Graham’s ok because he’s made $1.8m for two years of average footy.

If we are happy then the term and total salary of the contract is the same anyway.

I hope we’re thinking laterally of ways to use our cap space because there’s no way we’re meeting the floor for the next 2 years with our current list.

But, depending on the contract, Rotham signed elsewhere and no Graham could be a free R3 or R4 pick somewhere at a low level of compo, which could help with a Champion bid.
If Rotham is getting a contract somwhere, we're probably going to have to give someone a pick (j/k)

I think people are missing the point on trying to get Graham. He is 26. We have literally no AFL quality midfielders at that age, people who can be the "mature body" for Reid and Hewitt and Ginbey and (insert pick 3) beyond Yeo and Kelly.

He's also free on draft picks, and on a pretty low salary, which we can front load.

Costs 1 list spot. I think we're ok.

Baker concerns me more - his fit is the same rationale, it's just what we have to give up to get him.

Much as I am a big Hewett fan; there’s no guarantee he will come good. He’s already missed a fair chunk of footy.If he comes good;great!!

I think people are missing the point on trying to get Graham. He is 26. We have literally no AFL quality midfielders at that age, people who can be the "mature body" for Reid and Hewitt and Ginbey and (insert pick 3) beyond Yeo and Kelly.

He's also free on draft picks, and on a pretty low salary, which we can front load.

Costs 1 list spot. I think we're ok.

Baker concerns me more - his fit is the same rationale, it's just what we have to give up to get him.
That’s clearly the point I agree. Just think we can be a bit smarter with how we structure the deal by using our obscene cap space to our advantage whilst giving us a rip cord with a modest saving in future years if needed. Better than delisting him 2 years into a 4 year guaranteed deal and then still have to pay out the last 2 years at a time when we’re going to be looking to recontract RH7, EH8, HR9, FOS3 etc. Our cap space is unprecedented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back