List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s clearly the point I agree. Just think we can be a bit smarter with how we structure the deal by using our obscene cap space to our advantage whilst giving us a rip cord with a modest saving in future years if needed. Better than delisting him 2 years into a 4 year guaranteed deal and then still have to pay out the last 2 years at a time when we’re going to be looking to recontract RH7, EH8, HR9, FOS3 etc. Our cap space is unprecedented.
With Yeo and Kelly probably moving out of the midfield at some stage in the next 2 years, he probably has a place in or close to the side for the full 4 years anyway.
He would need to really fall away to be of no use to us.
Even if we just front ended it so it was 2@900 and 2@300, hes only costing a list spot

Getting pretty fed up with will Schofield shit canning the club. I hope the club no longer has him involved in media moving fwd.

Agree. Handshake agreements to me are as good as written ones.

I went through something similar at a previous workplace. It does leave you very sour.
But why make a handshake agreement in the first place? if it was done at the time of the original contract just give him the extra dollars/years at the time. If it was agreed to later on why didn't we just renegotiate the contract at the time? Makes no sense to make an off the books handshake agreement.

But why make a handshake agreement in the first place? if it was done at the time of the original contract just give him the extra dollars/years at the time. If it was agreed to later on why didn't we just renegotiate the contract at the time? Makes no sense to make an off the books handshake agreement.
Maybe thats how wce operated, but the paperwork always came through?

With Yeo and Kelly probably moving out of the midfield at some stage in the next 2 years, he probably has a place in or close to the side for the full 4 years anyway.
Even if we just front ended it so it was 2@900 and 2@300, hes only costing a list spot
Would be ok moving Kelly to the HFF with stints as a non inside mid as soon as next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly but far from a sure thing with injury and form. In 2027 FOS and Lindsay will be 21, Harley and Hall will be 22, Ginbey and Hewett 23. We’ll still be getting chop outs from Duggan, Yeo possibly Kelly and hopefully not Petch.

No with club option we’d save 300k a year for 2 years if we cut him, right when we are recontracting/overpaying FAs.

Butters is 23, Rozzee 24, JHF has only just turned 21 and are holding their own with chop outs from bigger bodies like Wines.

Can see Witherden being retained simply because we have no depth in that position.
I expected to see Witherden being charged with responsibility for the kick ins as he has supposed high end passing ability. Alas, he was not given that role.

What position do you see he provided depth in?

I expected to see Witherden being charged with responsibility for the kick ins as he has supposed high end passing ability. Alas, he was not given that role.

What position do you see he provided depth in?
He's playing as a small defender/HBF. I've wanted him dropped all year but every time I do changes I can't think of someone to play that role.

That’s clearly the point I agree. Just think we can be a bit smarter with how we structure the deal by using our obscene cap space to our advantage whilst giving us a rip cord with a modest saving in future years if needed. Better than delisting him 2 years into a 4 year guaranteed deal and then still have to pay out the last 2 years at a time when we’re going to be looking to recontract RH7, EH8, HR9, FOS3 etc. Our cap space is unprecedented.
Relax on the 4 year x massive money

He is obviously a very special friend of Baker and hence the dual offer so their bromamce flourishes.

The free agency window closes before the trade window opens (I think) so if we get Graham and its band 3, we then worry what we will be giving up for the Baker.

Alternatively they live together and play for opposing teams in the same city

Possibly but far from a sure thing with injury and form. In 2027 FOS and Lindsay will be 21, Harley and Hall will be 22, Ginbey and Hewett 23. We’ll still be getting chop outs from Duggan, Yeo possibly Kelly and hopefully not Petch.
Id imagine Duggan wont have to chop out. With Yeo and Kelly moved out more permanently as they age onto flanks, theres still a spot for an older player in the middle imo. Graham wont even be 30 at the time.
Id imagine he would be a whipping boy especially with fans in 2027/2028 but probably still can justify his spot due to how young the list would be in the midfield.
No with club option we’d save 300k a year for 2 years if we cut him, right when we are recontracting/overpaying FAs.

Butters is 23, Rozzee 24, JHF has only just turned 21 and are holding their own with chop outs from bigger bodies like Wines.
Wines and Drew spend just as much time in the middle as any of the others, well Butters is a little bit ahead but the other 4 are between 53-60%

Relax on the 4 year x massive money

He is obviously a very special friend of Baker and hence the dual offer so their bromamce flourishes.

The free agency window closes before the trade window opens (I think) so if we get Graham and its band 3, we then worry what we will be giving up for the Baker.

Alternatively they live together and play for opposing teams in the same city
Band 2 and 3 are for all intents and purposes the same pick for the Tigers so if the contract is band 4 the we then start worrying.

If Schofield is not appointed I think it’s less likely Baker comes and Ryan stays.

Id imagine Duggan wont have to chop out. With Yeo and Kelly moved out more permanently as they age onto flanks, theres still a spot for an older player in the middle imo.
This seems contradictory? Chop out as in Duggan will play short stints in the midfield.

He's playing as a small defender/HBF. I've wanted him dropped all year but every time I do changes I can't think of someone to play that role.
We still don't know if J Baker can fill the role, because in spite of his consistently solid WAFL form he wasn't given a single game.

I'll be miffed if he's let go and Witherden re-signed.

This seems contradictory? Chop out as in Duggan will play short stints in the midfield.
I changed the way I worded it and didnt re-read it :sweatsmile:
I dont want Duggan in the middle, I dont think hes that good in there. I think theres a spot for him in the backline as a leader. Once we lose Gov, barrass, and even Witho theres big lack of experience in our defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back