List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that every kid under 198cm needs a game in their first season has for some reason seemed to become the norm among wce supporters lately. Its really not the case at all they can wait a bit, no rush
I would normally agree but our wafl team being absolute trash hurts the development of our young guys.

They nearly have to be playing afl to be in a functioning team.

Pickett is a 23 year old star who has the potential to be a superstar. If we can contrive to get him with the Barrass Pick 12ish as the centrepiece, you pull the trigger and enjoy the career of your multi AA small forward who provides frenetic pressure (sometimes too much) and 40 goals per year at the feet of Jake and Oscar.

Not sure there's a better small forward in footy beside Toby. Charlie Cameron on career output for sure, but as of 2025? Pickett is seriously, seriously good.
i think dees say no a deal with 12 as the centerpiece.

Well why not trade in Pickett - ,Pick 3

Melbourne give pick 9

Barrass Pick 12 + f2

So we go to the draft with Pick 9 & 12 + 23 Pickett .

I'll run ....

9 Travagalia
12 Bo Allen / Lindsay
23 > 28 Harrison Oliver
59 Champion

Trades: Pickett, Peatling F3rd, Baker F2nd, Dev / Parfitt (4th or free)

Feel we will pick up some later picks with players traded out.

Not the worst outcome. Dees will want more.

I dont think any of those are unlikely

I would like to get Baker as he is a solid player who is consistent and knows what work ethic is. Other than that we need to build our midfield in the draft and put ourselves somehow in a position to get Warner if he wants to come home after next year.

Who's more important tobie or pickett is a tough one.

Tobie fills an important role in backline but will transition to mid successfully.

Right age right player. In 5 years time we will be contending for finals
I dont think the pick from Barrass will quite get TT unfortunately.

Id be up for splitting our F1 to get Kozi anyway

Pickett is a 23 year old star who has the potential to be a superstar. If we can contrive to get him with the Barrass Pick 12ish as the centrepiece, you pull the trigger and enjoy the career of your multi AA small forward who provides frenetic pressure (sometimes too much) and 40 goals per year at the feet of Jake and Oscar.

Not sure there's a better small forward in footy beside Toby. Charlie Cameron on career output for sure, but as of 2025? Pickett is seriously, seriously good.

Absolutely if you can turn Barrass into Pickett you do it

Pretty massive IF though

Who's more important tobie or pickett is a tough one.

Tobie fills an important role in backline but will transition to mid successfully.

Right age right player. In 5 years time we will be contending for finals
Pickett is an established afl top five player in his position who is still young.

It’s a pretty easy decision. People overrate draft picks massively.

I would like to get Baker as he is a solid player who is consistent and knows what work ethic is. Other than that we need to build our midfield in the draft and put ourselves somehow in a position to get Warner if he wants to come home after next year.
We have Reid, Hewett and our first pick this year as young potential A grade mids.
Can only have so many star players in the one midfield at any time, need a couple of workhorses in there too to balance it out. No team runs 4-5 genuine stars in their midfield, it just doesnt work.
Thats where we trade in players like Peatling and Graham.
For 2006 we traded in Stenglein, for 2018 we had Redden.

We can still be in the frame for Warner, but we dont even know if Warner wants to come home yet, its still a year away. Take whats right in front of us, and worry about Warner next year.

I would normally agree but our wafl team being absolute trash hurts the development of our young guys.

They nearly have to be playing afl to be in a functioning team.
From the sounds of it we havent been managing our WAFL team well, if we can actually use our allotted points to get better players in and dont exclusively get 18 year olds on the rookie list the WAFL side will be more competitive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett is an established afl top five player in his position who is still young.

It’s a pretty easy decision. People overrate draft picks massively.

I do wonder if there is a scenario (contingent on Melb being willing to split pick 5) where a super mega trade might come about.

Richmond losing 2x players (Bolton, Baker) but getting pick 3

Freo losing two 1sts (9/10 being the highest) picks but getting Bolton

Melb losing Pickett and 5 but getting 2x 1sts (probably one being a future tied to hawks) - other one being 9/10ish

Hawks giving up 12+ F1 (getting a pick or picks back) for Barrass

Us sliding from 3 to 5, losing Barrass, but getting Pickett and maybe 17 or so (or a 2nd from somewhere when another club gets an upgrade) plus Baker

Melb need a bit more, so too Hawks, 17 probably to Melb but they need to add a F2, maybe we get that and give Hawks F3. Richmond may add a F3 also or something around 40 this year.

It seems workable for all (main thing is we can still get a top 5 mid, and ideally another top 25ish pick this year to go with 23).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back