List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Ongoing discussions:

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
12 and 14 isn't enough for 3 on it's own, be interesting to see what else could be involved.
They’d need to find a way to get the GC pick or one of the Saints picks. Trading 3 for a bunch of picks outside of the top mids seems very counterintuitive. Especially if part of that is then used for Baker 🤮

Between last year and the coaching appointment, it's abundantly clear the media has no ****ing idea what we're thinking. Just let it play out and stop taking the bait.

The bedsheets will be there for you when you need them, relax.

Oh so you only came to realisation this in last year?

Media is entertainment. So anything is for entertainment only. Speculation is part of entertainment.

I thought the AFL had said they want Tassie to be successful from day one. If not explicitly stated it was implied that they wouldn’t be set up like the two northern teams, that is, based on repeated multiple good picks. Established players would be at least a good part of it.

Thus we can’t know how much Tassie will compromise - further compromise - the draft/trade.
Yes, this needs to be clarified by the AFL before future trading, as the had previously said they we looking at picks in the 1st round picks for Tassie that needed to be trade for mature players. Lots of unknowns for 2027 and different to GC & GWS concessions.

Just imagine if we traded 3 for 12 and 14 and used 14 on Liam Baker.

Full circle melts

This would be an absolutely disgusting deal, esp if 14 still goes to Richmond for Baker.
So 3 for 12 + Baker...
The downgrade from 3 to 6 looking good right now lmao.
I can't fathom how we would even consider a trade like this.

We wont.

Its the Vic media playing with your sanity the only way the Vic media know.

By writting one sides BS articles to appease rhe frothing masses of Richmond and other Vic team supporters.

Its just what they do mate.

We need to take a deep breath....and do some

Hungry Pizza Oven GIF by megan lockhart

Before another week of.....

Cat Playing GIF

Crypto Gem GIF by Gateio

Would rather just keep our current draft picks and Barrass with a future 2nd plus a few late pick swaps for Baker than offers reported in the media so far

You wouldn't give him up and he's too old for our rebuild. Either it's three picks between 10-15 or one top 10 pick and one top 15 pick.
Honestly I think we'll get Richmond to come at pick 6 plus Baker for pick 3 (potentially plus your future second from Hawthorn in the Barrass trade), so there's a fair bit of work Carlton will have to do to make up that difference if they want pick 3.

Did everyone actually read the part where it says there are more moving parts and it won't be a straight swap of 3 for 12+14?

Our sheets were almost dry. Almost.

Well Ashton Moir ex pick 20 is a start. That is one kid who would jump at a trade to us IMO.

Are the Blues trading anyone out of any value? Didnt think so.

Something like.

Kennedy a F2nd and WCF3rd to Richmond for losing Baker and 45. Fair.

Eagles lose 3, Petro and a F3rd.

Eagles gain Picks 12 , 14, Baker, Moir and Carrol. Carrol and Petro net off IMO.

So in essense pick 3 and WCF3rd saty 43 for 12, 14, 20(Moir) plus Baker.

Pick 3, 45 and Petruccelle to Blues.

Eagles go to the draft with 12, 14, 26 and whatever falls out?

Note: I dont get why Richmond would consider this unless they will trade for Norths pick 2.

Last edited:
We wont.

Its the Vic media playing with your sanity the only way the Vic media know.

By writting one sides BS articles to appease rhe frothing masses of Richmond and other Vic team supporters.

Its just what they do mate.

We need to take a deep breath....and do some

Hungry Pizza Oven GIF by megan lockhart

Before another week of.....

Cat Playing GIF

Crypto Gem GIF by Gateio

It’s coming from Ryan Daniels to who’s normally pretty bang on with eagles news.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the Carlton guys post.

We trade 3, a 'mid range pick linked to player movement' and a couple of very late picks (for points) for 12 and 14.

Suspect we do what the club originally planned and give Richmond 14 for Baker. Take best available with 12.

Based on the 'mid range pick linked to player movement' we expect the Barrass deal with Hawthorn to be done.

Potentially Barrass for a F1 and F2 (our original asking price, except a F1 instead of 14). F2 goes to Carlton as part of the deal.

Out: 3, Barrass. In: Baker, 12, Hawks (or Carlton) F1.
No one is that stupid

The Ginbey plan at #2.
Anyone who has followed the mock draft for the last 6 months would notice the change in ranking of the top players. Even now, we don't have a universally agreed ranking. The draft points should not be an exponential curve this year; it should be a very even linear curve.
We would not be surprised to see (a few years later) many star players coming from the lower picks.

Could these trades work:

Trade 1: Hawthorn get Barrass, we get Hawthorn 2nd rounder this year, Carlton F1st and Carlton F2nd
Trade 2: Richmond get pick 3 and Carlton F2nd, we get Baker and pick 6 (don't like this trade, but I think Richmond will want more than pick 3 for pick 6 and Baker, and we seem to really want Baker for some reason, so I'm trying to figure out a way that isn't really poor for us).

Our picks this year would then be pick 6, pick 26, pick 32
Pick 6 is probably about the value of picks 12 and 14. Although I personally wouldn't support such a trade with Carlton it would net us four picks in the first two rounds (12, 14, 26 and 32).
Our picks next year would be: WC1st, C1st (could be a top 10 pick), WC2nd

Jesus there's a huge gap between 1-6 to 12-18.

We are seriously the dumbest recruiting team on the planet.

People wonder why we have a lack of mids that can touch the ball.

I can't believe im saying this but trading future 1st For Dan Curtin was better then this crapola. And that future 1st For Curtin is still pretty crapola.

I refuse to believe the Carlton thing can get done. We rejected their future 1st and this year's first rounder. So now since we have two first rounders this year we take it?? I doubt it
I agree. Far greater chance of picking up an elite player from pick 3 than you do from pick 10 onwards. That is why the draft is set up that way. We have Reid and the chance to pick another gun next to him for the next 10 years. Yes we need to build our team generally, but that is easier to do later once you have your elite talent in place.

Potential trade scenario, trade 3 for saints 7,8.
Trade 8 and f2 to Carlton for 12,14,
Trade wce f1 and f3 to gc for 6,13, trade 12,13,14 to Richmond for Shai and Liam, take 6, 7 and 26 to draft, retain f1 hawks and f1 Carlton from a trade of barrass with hawks for a chance at Warner next year, win

If we're really keen on going for Warner next year, which we should be, we should not be on-trading any future first round picks.
It just doesn't add up, unless we don't expect to be in a position to make a play for Warner.
we dont need to be able to entirely satisfy the Swans with 2025 picks next year for Warner, we have 2026 and 2027 picks to use too.
As long as we get Warner to commit to us, then its easy, just offer future picks. You think Geelong care if they have the correct assets ready to go to trade in a a player? We would make it happen somehow

Id like to bring our natural F1 into this year and keep the blues/hawks f1s to use for Warner with whatever future picks to make up the right value

we dont need to be able to entirely satisfy the Swans with 2025 picks next year for Warner, we have 2026 and 2027 picks to use too.
As long as we get Warner to commit to us, then its easy, just offer future picks. You think Geelong care if they have the correct assets ready to go to trade in a a player? We would make it happen somehow

Id like to bring our natural F1 into this year and keep the blues/hawks f1s to use for Warner with whatever future picks to make up the right value

All we need to do is beat Fremantle offer in pick.

Warner might do a Baker go to clubs that can offer better pick to Sydney

Well Ashton Moir ex pick 20 is a start. That is one kid who would jump at a trade to us IMO.

Are the Blues trading anyone out of any value? Didnt think so.

Something like.

Kennedy a F2nd and WCF3rd to Richmond for losing Baker and 45. Fair.

Eagkes lose 3, Petro and a F3rd.

Eagles gain Picks 12 , 14, Baker, Moir and Carrol. Carrol and Petro net off.

So in essense pick 3 and WCF3rd saty 43 for 12, 14, 20(Moir) plus Baker.

Pick 3 and 45 and Petruccelle to Blues.

Eagles go to the draft with 12, 14, 26 and whatever falls out?

Note: I dont get why Richmond would consider this unless they will trade for Norths pick 2.
Moir would be a great sweetener.
An Eagles fanatic who would bleed for this club.
Dunno if there would be any interest in Petch.
But where is 45 coming from? Richmond only have 51 & 61 left this year.
Otherwise we'd probably need another 3rd rounder to get Moir.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back