Review Good/Bad vs Geelong at Kardinia, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

No, I'm asking whether poor performing players from the Geelong game will be dropped because we watched that and thought, Gee that won't be good enough in September.

Or if that will be ignored and it just be injured related eg Lynch and CEY fit so they return. Last in, first out.
Both. The poorest players were the ones replacing the injured guys. Gibbs, Davis, plus Douglas who shouldn't have played last week either

First time I've been to one of our games live this year. My feel about the game, I had lots of beer so this may be way off :drunk:

Blicavs dominated Rob in the 2nd half after ROB dominated Stanley in the first. Tim Kelly is an absolute jet and he cut us open with his vision at times. Douglas was terrible and I've been a fan of his in the past. CEY would have been handy, sadly Davis provided little- in the right spots but unable to outmark his opponents. A good effort at a bad hunting ground for us against a side that is on the top of the ladder.

Victorian clubs are irrelevant in these discussions. It's revenue based only.

And it's pretty hypocritical given GWS gain access to a home final at a ground with a more limited capacity.
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you. Geelong have an outstanding recent record at the g. Better than anyone, according to you. But in your inconceivable mind, you demand finals be played at kp. You want tens of thousands of geelong supporters, to miss out seeing geelong play finals, miss out playing on a ground, they have a better recent record than the ground, you want the game played at

Mind boggling.

Port have a better argument playing showdowns at Alberton.

Now you bring GWS into it, you say its all about money for the afl. Well, the moment the afl know GWS will draw a big enough crowd, to pay for the cost of hiring one of the two bigger afl stadiums, they will. But this is lost in you, because you're trolling.

First time I've been to one of our games live this year. My feel about the game, I had lots of beer so this may be way off :drunk:

Blicavs dominated Rob in the 2nd half after ROB dominated Stanley in the first. Tim Kelly is an absolute jet and he cut us open with his vision at times. Douglas was terrible and I've been a fan of his in the past. CEY would have been handy, sadly Davis provided little- in the right spots but unable to outmark his opponents. A good effort at a bad hunting ground for us against a side that is on the top of the ladder.
And did you notice how that came about, it was not just Blicavs but the Geelong System they used to combat ROB run, they ran 3 talls against Rob most of the game,
They had differant ruck in all 3 areas of the ground,

Kelly now has 17 of a possible 20 coaches votes in 2 games against us this year.

Hopefully the penny might drop with Don if we play them in finals

It took a few matches for Pyke to cotton on to stopping Selwood back when he was at his peak a couple of years back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27

Atkins 23 wing
Seedsman 22 wing
M.Crouch 22
Sloane 20 (3w)
B.Crouch 19
Gibbs 14 (3w)
Greenwood 7
Douglas 3 (2i, 1w)
Smith 3
Gallucci 2 wing

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Himmelberg 3

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
M.Crouch 3
Sloane 3
O'Brien 2
B.Crouch
Gibbs 1
Greenwood 1
Smith 1
Seedsman 1

1st Half - 15

Atkins 13 wing
Seedsman 13 wing
Sloane 12 (2w)
M.Crouch 11
B.Crouch 10
Gibbs 10 (2w)
Greenwood 5

O'Brien 13
Himmelberg 2

Final Term - 5

Atkins 5 wing
M.Crouch 5
B.Crouch 3
Smith 3
Sloane 2
Gallucci 2 wing
Greenwood 1
Douglas 1

O'Brien 5

Notes:
- Gibbs jettisoned from the midfield at 3/4 time with Smith replacing him.
- The first ever time in an analysed game that Brodie Smith has an inside start

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 27

Atkins 23 wing
Seedsman 22 wing
M.Crouch 22
Sloane 20 (3w)
B.Crouch 19
Gibbs 14 (3w)
Greenwood 7
Douglas 3 (2i, 1w)
Smith 3
Gallucci 2 wing

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Himmelberg 3

M.Crouch 3
Sloane 3
O'Brien 2
B.Crouch
Gibbs 1
Greenwood 1
Smith 1
Seedsman 1

1st Half - 15

Atkins 13 wing
Seedsman 13 wing
Sloane 12 (2w)
M.Crouch 11
B.Crouch 10
Gibbs 10 (2w)
Greenwood 5

O'Brien 13
Himmelberg 2

Final Term - 5

Atkins 5 wing
M.Crouch 5
B.Crouch 3
Smith 3
Sloane 2
Gallucci 2 wing
Greenwood 1
Douglas 1

O'Brien 5

Notes:
Cheers and interestingly Smith with 1 clearance from his 3 entries.

I can’t recall him going in, anyone notice how he went?

We scream for an inside player with acceleration who can break away from a contest, who can deliver and kick goals from outside 50.

Smith not given a run in the middle has to be one of the biggest wastes over the last 10 years.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving it a go.

Is Hamill to slight to give a crack to? McPherson?

We scream for an inside player with acceleration who can break away from a contest, who can deliver and kick goals from outside 50.

Smith not given a run in the middle has to be one of the biggest wastes over the last 10 years.

There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by giving it a go.

Is Hamill to slight to give a crack to? McPherson?
Neither are ready at this time

Hamill moreso than McPherson I'd think.

Milera is more likely the one being groomed for more midfield minutes I would have thought.

Neither are ready at this time

Hamill moreso than McPherson I'd think.

Milera is more likely the one being groomed for more midfield minutes I would have thought.
But he’s not given same midfield minutes as the other, could share his time with Smith and that way you’ve got one quick player in there. Milera is more evasive though where Smith has the initial burst.

Overall Summary - 27

Atkins 23 wing
Seedsman 22 wing
M.Crouch 22
Sloane 20 (3w)
B.Crouch 19
Gibbs 14 (3w)
Greenwood 7
Douglas 3 (2i, 1w)
Smith 3
Gallucci 2 wing

Rucks:
O'Brien 24
Himmelberg 3

M.Crouch 3
Sloane 3
O'Brien 2
B.Crouch
Gibbs 1
Greenwood 1
Smith 1
Seedsman 1

1st Half - 15

Atkins 13 wing
Seedsman 13 wing
Sloane 12 (2w)
M.Crouch 11
B.Crouch 10
Gibbs 10 (2w)
Greenwood 5

O'Brien 13
Himmelberg 2

Final Term - 5

Atkins 5 wing
M.Crouch 5
B.Crouch 3
Smith 3
Sloane 2
Gallucci 2 wing
Greenwood 1
Douglas 1

O'Brien 5

Notes:
Thanks once again for your analysis.

Normally we like using Milera more later in games to apply more speed around the ball, so interesting to see us try Smith in his absence.

Also, rotating players as the 3rd wingman.

Brouch had a poor game, including at least 3 kicks that I can recall he kicked into another player.

Was Smiths entry a sign the coaches were frustrated with him and wanted him to break free of whatever ailed him?
Usually we use Milera later in the game through the middle.

Smith was used in Milera's role & Gooch in Smith's.

I’m usually pretty critical of this group but having seen what I’ve seen this year I’d cool the jets.

2016 and 17 the eventual premiers both lost down there. This year WCE got pumped by 10 goals...wouldn’t write them off.

There was nothing in that game that I saw which resembled the game plan we have rolled out over the last 8 weeks.

Key players given an extra week to recover for Showdown.

No excuses this week, but I suspect we will do the neighbours and set up a run at finals

Pretty much, there is nothing good or bad you can take out of that game, it is just Geelong in Geelong.

Well outside of the positive that we set up for the future instead of futilely running our squad into the ground in a losing battle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back