Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's very close isn't it.
Cox is arguably one of the top 10 rucks of all time, alongside Madden, Moore, Dempsey, Farmer, Nicholls, Gawn (a few others too).
But no disrespect to Fletcher or Braun, Akermanis alone trumps both those boys with Power being a perennial 20-25 disposal mid throughout his career.

Lions for me.

They only way they could get Trac is if they gave up Nick Daicos

So you mean to tell me it'll take more than a future first and Cox...

1723553385784.png

Blues are lucky they have the Eagles this week. I think literally anyone besides Richmond and WCE have a 5+ goal win.

Richmond would still get spanked, and WCE find new and exciting ways to be shit.

Actually put Essendon on the list too, they love an almighty bottle job at the moment.

Blues are lucky they have the Eagles this week. I think literally anyone besides Richmond and WCE have a 5+ goal win.

Richmond would still get spanked, and WCE find new and exciting ways to be shit.

Actually put Essendon on the list too, they love an almighty bottle job at the moment.
Nah I reckon I'll back West Coast in here

Another career to finish without a finals win

Joel played 40 finals in 355 games.

Heppel played 100 less games and 40 less Finals. Feel bad for Heppel as he really dug in for the club and they gave him donuts really

When Cats supporters get mad about the team not performing I understand it .. but **** me we as supporters have been blessed over the journey. Luv this club..

Go Catters

Heppel played 100 less games and 40 less Finals. Feel bad for Heppel as he really dug in for the club and they gave him donuts really

When Cats supporters get mad about the team not performing I understand it .. but **** me we as supporters have been blessed over the journey. Luv this club..

Go Catters
Poor Hep walked in a couple of years before the drugs saga
He's probably the final link to that era
Surprised he didn't leave a few years ago actually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go Catters
I've been trying to reign myself in lately as a spoiled brat supporter and be more grateful than ever. We keep competitng year after year while other clubs are just literally making up competition numbers and breaking hearts.

#unluckycampaigners

Just looking at the top 10 goal kickers this year interesting stats:

1. Charlie Curnow: 56 Goals, FF - 28, FA - 11
2. Jesse Hogan: 53 Goals, FF - 22, FA - 5
3. Ben King: 46 Goals, FF - 21, FA - 15
4. Harry McKay: 44 Goals, FF - 25, FA - 20
5. Jake Waterman: 44 Goals, FF - 10, FA - 4
6. Josh Treacy: 42 Goals, FF - 17, FA - 10
7. Nick Larkey: 39 Goals, FF - 22, FA - 12
8. Jeremy Cameron: 39 Goals, FF - 8, FA - 20
9. Joe Danniher: 39 Goals, FF - 20, FA - 22
10. Bayley Frisch: 37 Goals, FF - 13, FA - 17
10. Jamarra Ugle-Hagen: 37 Goals, FF - 13, FA - 21
10. Kyle Langford: 37 Goals, FF - 14, FA - 15
10. Tyson Stengle: 37 Goals, FF - 11, FA - 8

One forward in particular is having a rough time with the umps
These kinds of stats are interesting. Thanks for sharing. It'd be easy for us as Cats fans to think we're hard done by. Personally I can see that the way some players play means they give away more frees than others. And some players move and interact in ways that mean they get more frees.

Joel Selwood was an example of the latter. He went in hard and got infringed and rewarded. Similar happened to Bruhn just the other day. Cameron may have been a bit unlucky this year. And Curnow (for example) may have got some generous calls. It's a bit pretty big difference for sure. But I tend not to see it so much as evidence of an inherent bias or conspiracy (not saying you are) but rather as a clue that there's something Cameron needs to do to iron out of his game. He always gets people high when tackling them, for example. It's frustrating to see as a fan and I'm sure that's one thing that contributes to these numbers.

Just looking at the top 10 goal kickers this year interesting stats:

1. Charlie Curnow: 56 Goals, FF - 28, FA - 11
2. Jesse Hogan: 53 Goals, FF - 22, FA - 5
3. Ben King: 46 Goals, FF - 21, FA - 15
4. Harry McKay: 44 Goals, FF - 25, FA - 20
5. Jake Waterman: 44 Goals, FF - 10, FA - 4
6. Josh Treacy: 42 Goals, FF - 17, FA - 10
7. Nick Larkey: 39 Goals, FF - 22, FA - 12
8. Jeremy Cameron: 39 Goals, FF - 8, FA - 20
9. Joe Danniher: 39 Goals, FF - 20, FA - 22
10. Bayley Frisch: 37 Goals, FF - 13, FA - 17
10. Jamarra Ugle-Hagen: 37 Goals, FF - 13, FA - 21
10. Kyle Langford: 37 Goals, FF - 14, FA - 15
10. Tyson Stengle: 37 Goals, FF - 11, FA - 8

One forward in particular is having a rough time with the umps

For KPF this would correlate highly with offensive 1 on 1 contests, Cameron doesn't take too many contested marks, defenders probably feel the fear to scrag him.

These kinds of stats are interesting. Thanks for sharing. It'd be easy for us as Cats fans to think we're hard done by. Personally I can see that the way some players play means they give away more frees than others. And some players move and interact in ways that mean they get more frees.

Joel Selwood was an example of the latter. He went in hard and got infringed and rewarded. Similar happened to Bruhn just the other day. Cameron may have been a bit unlucky this year. And Curnow (for example) may have got some generous calls. It's a bit pretty big difference for sure. But I tend not to see it so much as evidence of an inherent bias or conspiracy (not saying you are) but rather as a clue that there's something Cameron needs to do to iron out of his game. He always gets people high when tackling them, for example. It's frustrating to see as a fan and I'm sure that's one thing that contributes to these numbers.
I don’t believe in umpiring conspiracies at all. I do think it’s about how players play and how the make sure the ump sees the free.
Selwood was very good at making sure the ump saw the high contact. P
Hawkins has never been one to get a lot of frees and maybe it’s harder to sell due to his size.
The frees against Cameron are more that he plays up the ground and often gets caught holding the ball.
They’ve definitely missed some big frees that were there for him though

I don’t believe in umpiring conspiracies at all. I do think it’s about how players play and how the make sure the ump sees the free.
Hawkins has never been one to get a lot of frees and maybe it’s harder to sell due to his size.
The frees against Cameron are more that he plays up the ground and often gets caught holding the ball.
It's true, he does get caught a bit. But yeah, he's definitely had some big 'frees for' missed recently.

It also has a fair bit to do with the size/strength of the player.

Umpires in all sports will often overlook the biggest strongest players, subconsciously they assume that they can look after themselves. These guys only get the obvious frees. A classic example of this was Shaq in basketball, by the letter of the law he was fouled nearly every time he touched the ball, but the refs would only call it if he was mauled. He was refereed differently to most every player in the nba.

Hawk being a massive unit who could dead lift the grandstand didnt help his cause with the umps. He is umpired very differently to someone like curnow who can be moved off his spot pretty easily. It also helps if you play in the air a bit more because any contact is exaggerated. Again, this worked against Hawk who rarely left the ground for the last 2/3 of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back