Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly not obvious.

Maybe you are looking for reasons to dislike Pickett?
That’s pretty offensive to think that’s the reason he is disliked just because it’s a different opnion than yourself

Multiple posters have stated why they disliked him , yet you choose that angle

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless they stop training it’s the truth ain’t it? They are both still training and hoping to play.

I'd cede to the wisdom of the MC if they were to select Guthrie in particular, but man I'd be nervous.

He hasn't played for eleventy seven games, and though he might be training it's no substitute for match fitness. It'd be a move of desperation to play him imo.

Marginally less of the same concern re: Hawkins, but every week he falls further behind too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly not obvious.

Maybe you are looking for reasons to dislike Pickett?

Pickett has played 106 games across 5 seasons, and is looking at his 4th rough conduct suspension for a bump gone wrong - almost like he hasn't learnt from his earlier poor efforts

He was suspended in his final match of 2023 for rough conduct against Cripps and missed Melbourne's opening match of this season

He's now been handed suspended for 3 matches for another ill-timed bump and unless challenged, will again miss the early rounds of next season

Letting himself & his team down by doing stupid things

Pickett has played 106 games across 5 seasons, and is looking at his 4th rough conduct suspension for a bump gone wrong - almost like he hasn't learnt from his earlier poor efforts

He was suspended in his final match of 2023 for rough conduct against Cripps and missed Melbourne's opening match of this season

He's now been handed suspended for 3 matches for another ill-timed bump and unless challenged, will again miss the early rounds of next season

Letting himself & his team down by doing stupid things
There have also been a few incidents from memory where he did something a bit unsavoury but didn't get in trouble for it

Kinda but not exactly
  • as long as the senior team is still playing in finals, senior listed players are eligible to play in the VFL finals, but
  • if the senior team is on a bye (such as the pre-finals bye, win the QF final etc), any player that played senior football the previous weekend is ineligible to play the next VFL final

That means none of our 23 players from yesterday can line up in next weeks VFL QF final, but if they are deemed fit enough & the coaches want to get match time into them, Hawkins, C. Guthrie & SDK could play for example

Yes tthats correct but we would have wanted to rest ydays 23 for next week to keep them fresh for AFL QF anyway.

I was talking more about the fringe guys.
Eg your clark and knevitt can play as long as the afl team is alive.
If we get knocked out in a semi/prelim they can still keep going if they meet the criteria from memory i think its if youve played at least 6 vfl games and no more than 12 afl games-something like that.

The one who impresses me the most is weddle. Absolute star in the making. Pretty sure you where huge on him hos draft year from memory po

Yeah i very much was hoping we could have got him but we didnt have a pick in that range.
Hes a good one and i also really rate mckenzie ward day and watson in particular. They are a couple of KPP short but they can trade them in.

Giants resting a few. Wonder if the All Sydney Qualifying Final is being prepared?

Giants will win anyway imo.

Funny thing is if they do we cant finish higher than 3rd but it would give freo every incentive to win (bc then they could knock the dogs out).

We could end up with gws away and port could get syd away.

This game is basically a knockout final for the Dogs

Also guessing GWS don't care about home field advantage if they are resting a few
They would be silly to actually win.

Win and they play PA away, lose.. And they play sydney in NSW.

No brainer for mine..

Where is the AFL integrity unit on GWS tanking this?? If geelong did that, the uproar would be immense

Giants will win anyway imo.

Funny thing is if they do we cant finish higher than 3rd but it would give freo every incentive to win (bc then they could knock the dogs out).

We could end up with gws away and port could get syd away.

A home final at Engie stadium? But wouldn't that lock out supporters when there's a much better suited stadium not far away?

/s

😁

Yes tthats correct but we would have wanted to rest ydays 23 for next week to keep them fresh for AFL QF anyway.

I was talking more about the fringe guys.
Eg your clark and knevitt can play as long as the afl team is alive.
If we get knocked out in a semi/prelim they can still keep going if they meet the criteria from memory i think its if youve played at least 6 vfl games and no more than 12 afl games-something like that.

At least it was back in 2022 - there was a bit of noise around Liam Stoker and Carlton trying to confirm his eligibility for the VFL finals that year

He had played the minimum number of VFL games, but was sitting on 13 AFL games though one of the AFL games he was the unused sub - so they tried arguing it shouldn't count. He then got the ok to play VFL finals

Clark has played 6 & 15 - so he is reliant on our seniors to keep playing, while O'Connor has only played the 4 VFL games and would be in the same boat

Guys like Bews, Humphries, Mannagh, Mullin & Parfitt should be fine as they've played the minimum 6 VFL games, with Mannagh & Mullin currently on 10 senior games - so we potentially have a bit of depth available for our VFL team in finals IF needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back