Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it that Brisbane go into a game tagging the 15th placed team's best player, to the point that he gets frustrated, only has two kicks for a quarter and a bit and gets himself suspended

But we don't tag their best player (or any other player) in return?
I mean, apparently we tried multiple tags on him. They just didn't work because we have made no attempt to develop anyone in a tagging role.

The problem is a flush shoukder to the head is graded as being as bad as an accidental head clash from an otherwise clean act

I get why
I get they won’t remove the wording that makes the head clash foreseeable in the sct

But there needs to be separation from a rd 1 2023 kozzie picket act compared to one like this where the intent/recklessness are poles apart

In that sense 3 weeks for this would still be a hefty penalty but the rules don’t cater to any interpretation of the act
If it's a really vicious "rough conduct" charge, then it will get sent directly to the Tribunal, with the option of larger penalties than the 4 weeks which Rankine has copped.

The options are essentially 4 weeks, or more if it's worse than what Rankine did.

The 0-4 start is all on the coaching panel. After that injuries and inexperience are applicable.
Over the journey sure but we beat GWS with one of our least experienced sides - VaderStat - who then went on to flog Carlton a week later( so it wasnt a weak side )

I would argue the 0-4 start impacted our season more than inexperience or injury

Momentum is a funny word in football but I can tell you that training and walking around the joint is much much better with wins under your belt

The 0-4 start is all on the coaching panel. After that injuries and inexperience are applicable.

Sackable?

The 0-4 start cost us our season. If we started 2-2 or 3-1 its a completely different world.

Surely - we can't go into 2025 with a coach that single handidly ruined our season?

Over the journey sure but we beat GWS with one of our least experienced sides - VaderStat - who then went on to flog Carlton a week later( so it wasnt a weak side )

I would argue the 0-4 start impacted our season more than inexperience or injury

Momentum is a funny word in football but I can tell you that training and walking around the joint is much much better with wins under your belt
Momentum has been a killer for us for a while. Our inability to have a clear and effective plan when other teams have the momentum resulting in us losing games because we get bags of goals kicked against us in short time frames. Gifting Sydney momentum by leaving Keane on Amartey when he was being flogged. Gifting Brisbane the 1st half momentum by letting one of the most damaging players in the game run around by himself. The best game plans in the world are defunct if our coaching team can't work out that everything isn't always going to go exactly to plan and they need to react to situations, have gears and plan b, c & d.

Why is it that Brisbane go into a game tagging the 15th placed team's best player, to the point that he gets frustrated, only has two kicks for a quarter and a bit and gets himself suspended

But we don't tag their best player (or any other player) in return?
Injuries…

lol, so our experienced players have performed this year? How about the coach? How about when we didn’t have many injuries to start the year and went 0-4?

Blaming inexperience and injuries is the lowest form of analysis of what the actual issues have been.
Yet we've heard it on loop from the club & it's senior players all. damn. year.

Momentum has been a killer for us for a while. Our inability to have a clear and effective plan when other teams have the momentum resulting in us losing games because we get bags of goals kicked against us in short time frames. Gifting Sydney momentum by leaving Keane on Amartey when he was being flogged. Gifting Brisbane the 1st half momentum by letting one of the most damaging players in the game run around by himself. The best game plans in the world are defunct if our coaching team can't work out that everything isn't always going to go exactly to plan and they need to react to situations, have gears and plan b, c & d.
Nicks has complained before about not being able to make changes until the break for whatever reason which is why we have trouble turning momentum back out way. I don't know how much actual "in game" changes we actually are capable of making, at least not major ones.

Nicks has complained before about not being able to make changes until the break for whatever reason which is why we have trouble turning momentum back out way. I don't know how much actual "in game" changes we actually are capable of making, at least not major ones.
That feels like a cop out. What are they training in pre season and during the week? If there's not clear and actionable plans for a host of different in game scenarios then what is the coaching team actually doing?

That feels like a cop out. What are they training in pre season and during the week? If there's not clear and actionable plans for a host of different in game scenarios then what is the coaching team actually doing?

We spent most of the off season congratulating ourselves for our glorious 'basically finalists' 2023.

We spent most of the off season congratulating ourselves for our glorious 'basically finalists' 2023.
We spent most of the preseason learning a slow chip chip gameplan to try and reduce our “score against” stats but all we did in the process was destroy our quick ball movement which in turn trashed our “score for” stats.

And we also invented a new position called the “shape keeper*”.

* Patent pending AFC 2024

Does he have to ask permission from the line coaches? Isnt sending Westawson back an in game move?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodgy used car salesman, Ken Lite

Don't you just hold up those "weird ass signs"
like Dragster/Bowl of Noodles/Blowfly?

Apparently one of the bigger concerns about Burns when going for senior role is his communication skills, or lack thereof. You can be the biggest brain around, but if you can't consistently communicate what you want to the players then it's not a huge help.

It's probably not a surprise that when you heard players talk up guys we've had coaching our forwards like Teague and Rahilly it's all built around not only football knowledge, but their ability to express it to players and also how they treated the players as people.
Is there any reason why Tex, upon retirement, wouldn't make a solid forward coach?

Even if this game costs Rankine a week or two, this is probably the highlight of our season right here:

In this, if instead Andrews stumbles and hits his head on the ground and gets concussion from it, how is it going to be graded? Assume Rankine definitely made contact in the interaction.

I think he'd be a fine football coach, I'm just always weary about players going straight into coaching with the same team without experiencing new teams/environment.
Yep. I get that but Tex is a natural leader, teacher, coach and inspiration. As a one club legend, he'll command respect beyond most players from many clubs. And absolutely ours.

Regarding th enew environment thing, I totally agree with you that in most instances, a wider exerience adds to the knowledge and wisdom of the individual. The exception to this however, is when you create your own environment without the "sheep mentality of following others.

Awesome leaders are there in everyday life and make the iron hot by striking. They don't need to wait until it's hot to make stuff happen.

I see inside Tex a progressive, positive, proactive and passionate professional who has the courage to speak his mind and act upon those thoughts. A natural leader who really will...lead.

I see inside Tex a progressive, positive, proactive and passionate professional who has the courage to speak his mind and act upon those thoughts. A natural leader who really will...lead.
Interesting thoughts.

Do you think he is an inclusive leader?

In this, if instead Andrews stumbles and hits his head on the ground and gets concussion from it, how is it going to be graded? Assume Rankine definitely made contact in the interaction.
If Andrews knocks himself out, there's no action against Rankine. Rankine didn't instigate the contact, so he's not responsible for the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back