Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Midfield is in huge trouble. Need an elite small forward and ruck. Some of the kids are okay. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves please.
I would've agree about the midfield before the emergence of Soligo and Rankine this year to compliment Dawson and M.Crouch, we need another forward (Welsh) as Walker will soon retire but the biggest concern is ROB (has been better since his recall). I don't see an elite small forward as a need as Rankine will be there when resting forward (he has proven to have a very big tank) and then we have Rachele but need another powerful midfielder if it isn't Pedlar, maybe Curtin.

Reckon Butts is quietly putting together a really solid season. His bodywork and attack on the footy is a step up on previous years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Might have somethong tp do with him not being asked to play with obvious niggles....i.e. calf and foot.

Good : Thilthorpe. Looks like a different player than I remember. If he can take advantage of his new size he could have a very good end to the year.

Bad and ugly : Umpires. Looked like holding the ball was being umpired differently between the teams. 4 umpires = No consistency.

Definitely one of his very best games and noticeably he actually stuck some tackles which rounded out his game nicely. No problems keeping him if was consistently close to that level and not a defensive liability one on one.
He’s been this way most of the season, quite comfortably having a breakout year

Report from the SANFL game that Curtin did well in the midfield. Good to see he’s playing there

Soligo has captain written all over him, doesn’t he? Reminds me of Lachie Neale when he gets the ball - not only looks like him but takes responsibility to make something constructive happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Adam Papalia commentating tonight, doesn’t do many non WA games, one of the best in the business
I'm not a fan of his style but that's a matter of personal taste. I reply only to ask if any of the commentators were actually at AO tonight? Roo sounded like he was there, Ruby was definitely boundary rider, but the other two I'm not convinced were calling from the oval.

I was there tonight and can't say I was impressed much. Despite the win and wet weather, the skills were terrible and the game plan worse. Ross Lyon football vs Matthew Nicks football is a sad sight.

Good:
Sholl’s ball handling in the wet. Was a massive standout. Completely faded out of the game late but when it was there to be won, he was best on ground.

Berry’s hands in close and tackling.

Thilthorpe’s dominant last qtr and successful return.

Bond’s blanket job on Higgins.

Zac muthafking Taylor. Looks an absolutely elite prospect.

Billy Dowling. Such an honest player and really knows how to play within his own capabilities.

Butts really putting together some great form.

Murray looking beastly again.

Keays is another putting together some really solid form (although watching him kick a football is painful).

Dawson played a great captain’s game after an absolute stinker last week.

Murphy was actually pretty good I thought. Wet weather suited him.

Bad:
Laird’s disposal and decision making.

Brodie Smith. Put a fork in him.

Rachele. Confidence shot. Zero impact.

O’Brien’s ruckwork - he has absolutely no idea where he’s tapping it, or why he’s tapping it there.

Michalanney’s disposal is garbage.

Ugly:
Some of the most ludicrous umpiring I’ve seen in a long time. Comical deliberate decisions against both sides. Comical kicking in danger decisions not paid to both sides. Obvious holding the ball decisions not paid to both sides. Himmelberg took a strong mark AND had his arm ripped off and it was play on. Umpiring is at an all-time low and the AFL have their head in the sand.

Good: Adam Papalia commentating tonight, doesn’t do many non WA games, one of the best in the business
Hopefully hear more of him next season if Fox calling all games.

Look at the midfields that win flags. Ours is so far off the talent of a premiership midfield it’s not even funny.
No doubt but a lot of that is that a lot of them have played very few games. Dawson rankine crouch soligo taylor dowling all look good. Add a top mid this year and keep giving them games. Curtin could be the best of all of them too

Last edited:
Midfield is in huge trouble. Need an elite small forward and ruck. Some of the kids are okay. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves please.

At this point, no. Needs more, of course, but it's in a much healthier spot compared to last year. Last year was Dawson and Laird as a two man wrecking ball, alongside a hope and a prayer.

This year, we've seen Rankine has come in and right now, is a top 10 player in the comp as a mid--forward. Dawson has backed up last year quite well, though not to the same heights. Soligo has come on and done a solid job as a third mid. Laird is still putting up respectable numbers, ditto Matt Crouch pre-injury. The base is there for a rather solid and well rounded group in 2025, though it probably requires Soligo to take the next step without any genuine additions - or a big in and under clearance winner to come forth. A new ruck, and one that could help out with ground work, would go a long way as well.

The area that's killing Adelaide at the moment is at half back. Sure, injuries with Milera have hurt - as we lost a genuine playmaker - but we've had a lot of issues transitioning the ball from defense to midfield. It's likely using Dawson more defensively would help alleviate it seeing as it stands, with Milera wiped and Smith finding the cliff, it is looking dire with just Hinge.

I do think there is wisdom in saying lets not get ahead of ourselves with the kids though. Plenty have come through, looked a million dollars in a debut period and disappeared once the momentum faded.

Bad and ugly: stupid umpiring decisions when it came to those balls that went out of bounds so close to the line. Insufficient intent? Give me a break. No feel for the game.
We are calling for them to be consistent - even if they get it wrong, make the same call for both sides. But that really was just ridiculous!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back