Autopsy Roast & Toast v GWS and Changes for Port

Top 5 v GWS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad that Kingsley's Giants play a game much closer to ours in our premiership years than we do currently. And if we lose Rioli we're going to become an even more dour stoppage-based team. Seems like most other teams are going for fast counter-attacking footy while we're going for stoppages, territory and repeat f50 entries...

I'm not giving us much credit for beating them up in the centre. We poached two of their supposedly best clearance players a few years ago, we played no kids there today and were unaffected by injuries, we should be winning there easily. The balance nonetheless looks wrong for us, too slow on the outside, especially when Bolton isn't in there (and he only runs one way).

KPF aside, we really need to think about drafting some pace through the midfield, moreso because Sonsie isn't developing well. Maybe Maurice Jnr can be a midfielder but it doesn't strike me as a good plan A.

There’s nothing to justify the contract this bloke got. He couldn’t even make our team when we had no one in the twos yet he scored a 3 year deal. Can’t read the ball in the air and can’t mark it either when it reaches his hands. He’s is a local league forward.

I must admit, I had hopes for him a little while ago because he had plenty of height and was a decent kick but his marking and ability to create chaos isn’t good enough and seems to have flatlined

Tom brown , you’re kidding aren’t you , he’s putting together a fine season for pretty well his debut year

Watch him closely. His efforts are embarrassing, he walks all over the ground while his opponents run free. He’s slow and unfit.

Can’t just live as a slow receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why bother hes a dud
Problem is that of our non premiership
Sad that Kingsley's Giants play a game much closer to ours in our premiership years than we do currently. And if we lose Rioli we're going to become an even more dour stoppage-based team. Seems like most other teams are going for fast counter-attacking footy while we're going for stoppages, territory and repeat f50 entries...

I'm not giving us much credit for beating them up in the centre. We poached two of their supposedly best clearance players a few years ago, we played no kids there today and were unaffected by injuries, we should be winning there easily. The balance nonetheless looks wrong for us, too slow on the outside, especially when Bolton isn't in there (and he only runs one way).

KPF aside, we really need to think about drafting some pace through the midfield, moreso because Sonsie isn't developing well. Maybe Maurice Jnr can be a midfielder but it doesn't strike me as a good plan A.
Good summary. After a centre bounce if the ball clears the circle congestion, hopper, Tarranto, Prestia and Graham all struggle metres behind their opponents so the do better if it’s in tight. But even when they get it they either lack the composure, quick hands or creativity to get into space or find someone who is - hence their disposals are so often just throw on the boot kicks or not hitting targets or going to our advantage. They are not A grade (Prestia wax but isn’t any more).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s gotta get Braver and learn how to tackle. Three weak as piss tackle efforts near me. Didn’t want to tackle.

Odd player. Stands up really well in contest and is clearly athletic but his mindset isn't close to AFL standard at this point. Needs to watch Vlastuin, Rance and Grimes highlights and realise that is the attitude to have as an AFL defender.

Most frustrating for me is Yze repeating the term 'execution' and how we let ourselves down. These guys are full time professionals, they get paid to perform their skills at an appropriate level.

Can you imagine a carpentry crew continually constructing out of square pergolas, effort might be there but the execution clearly isnt. They would eventually be booted out the nearest door.

Essentially an employer should take the offenders aside and in the first instance outline their deficiencies, address them with additional training and provide them opportunity to improve, no improvement and unfortunately they would be shown the door.

For the most part I am seeing little to no improvement, the same players poorly executing week in week out, something has to change, either the coaches aren't doing their jobs or the players are simply not good enough so need to be shown the door.
We have too many teams and players playing at the top level.

We just dont have enough talent vs population to sustain a very high level comp with so many teams.
TBO we should be about 12- 14 teams at the most and with a much stronger reserves or second tier league.

The game wouldve be much better overall.

A very positive performance. Keeping the orange ‘tsunami’ to 36 inside 50’s is extraordinary. Conceding 17 goals is more of a coaching issue than anything else … 17 goals from just 36 I50’s would have to be a record.

Won CP, clearances and 53-36 I50 … loss was down to poor defensive structures and our own poor conversion and connection up forward.

A great game from Banks … which I say only because of the way he bounced back from a horrid first half. 4 touches with only 1 effective in first half …then 12 touches with 11 effective in second half with 5 x SI and a GA. This is why you don’t make youngsters SUB… gotta give them a chance to work through a game!

Kosi keep earning his keep. 2.2 and 7 x SI. Given he’s only just turned 24yo and we gave up pick-49 he looks like a solid pick.

Liked what I saw from Hugo, Steely, Brown and Mansell. All four are going to get better and better with every game. Great to see Green get 3 x goals… early days but everyone has had him a likely delisting, but he showed a few good signs beyond just his goals - Cumbo or Green we all know who is being retained.

Every times Tresize has set foot on an AFL oval he has looked great at the level. No more SUBS vest for him. Toby Greene absolutely torched Broad today…. and Short was completely ineffectual again… just plant Miller, Balta, Brown and Tresize in the backline and let them grow together.

Sonsie very poor. Whilst I’d like to see him with some midfield minutes, he can’t be so invisible at half forward. He should get some midfield time with TT out next week, and I’ll be very worried if he doesn’t show something.

Wasting our time playing Macca. He’s been ok for a few recent games, but it absolutely KILLS me to see Tresize sub and Smith in VFL with Macca spudding it up most weeks. What is the point of playing Macca, seriously?

Rioli got a bit of the ball but was pretty putrid all day with loads of errors. Ditto Prestia. Baker doesn’t do enough often enough.

Hopper continues to build and I pray he gets a few seasons injury free as I know he will be a gun.

Graham played his best game of the year and credit to him. But i still think best he leaves and we get the compo pick.

Overall I walked away pretty happy, as 53-36 I50’s, winning CP and winning clearances shows what we can produce with something resembling a full strength midfield. Lynch, Lefau and Dusty up forward probably reverses that result today.

I’m actually pretty happy with GWS winning, in that the more interstate teams who might make the finals meaning Bombers and Pies don’t the better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am happy with the day as we had some kids played well.

But, anyone thinking this is some sign of us becoming more competitive overall are not being overly realistic.

Today we had in basically all our top 10 in, except Dusty & Lynch. Baker, Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Rioli,Vlaustin, Balta, Nank Short. We had a full midfield brigade for the first time in a long time.

They lost Cog's early. Kelly was also missing. It was one of the rare times this year we actually had the better midfield on paper and we still never really got within a margin that genuinely would have had them worried. To me the positive was the kids, but the sad reality is that our best players are not good enough anymore to carry us to wins, even when we do have a upper hand in the middle.

A good habit to do is after a game, read the other teams forum and see how they felt about the day. They were happy with the win as they knew they were outmatched in the middle on talent & still never felt we were much of a threat.

A very positive performance. Keeping the orange ‘tsunami’ to 36 inside 50’s is extraordinary. Conceding 17 goals is more of a coaching issue than anything else … 17 goals from just 36 I50’s would have to be a record.

Won CP, clearances and 53-36 I50 … loss was down to poor defensive structures and our own poor conversion and connection up forward.

A great game from Banks … which I say only because of the way he bounced back from a horrid first half. 4 touches with only 1 effective in first half …then 12 touches with 11 effective in second half with 5 x SI and a GA. This is why you don’t make youngsters SUB… gotta give them a chance to work through a game!

Kosi keep earning his keep. 2.2 and 7 x SI. Given he’s only just turned 24yo and we gave up pick-49 he looks like a solid pick.

Liked what I saw from Hugo, Steely, Brown and Mansell. All four are going to get better and better with every game. Great to see Green get 3 x goals… early days but everyone has had him a likely delisting, but he showed a few good signs beyond just his goals - Cumbo or Green we all know who is being retained.

Every times Tresize has set foot on an AFL oval he has looked great at the level. No more SUBS vest for him. Toby Greene absolutely torched Broad today…. and Short was completely ineffectual again… just plant Miller, Balta, Brown and Tresize in the backline and let them grow together.

Sonsie very poor. Whilst I’d like to see him with some midfield minutes, he can’t be so invisible at half forward. He should get some midfield time with TT out next week, and I’ll be very worried if he doesn’t show something.

Wasting our time playing Macca. He’s been ok for a few recent games, but it absolutely KILLS me to see Tresize sub and Smith in VFL with Macca spudding it up most weeks. What is the point of playing Macca, seriously?

Rioli got a bit of the ball but was pretty putrid all day with loads of errors. Ditto Prestia. Baker doesn’t do enough often enough.

Hopper continues to build and I pray he gets a few seasons injury free as I know he will be a gun.

Graham played his best game of the year and credit to him. But i still think best he leaves and we get the compo pick.

Overall I walked away pretty happy, as 53-36 I50’s, winning CP and winning clearances shows what we can produce with something resembling a full strength midfield. Lynch, Lefau and Dusty up forward probably reverses that result today.

I’m actually pretty happy with GWS winning, in that the more interstate teams who might make the finals meaning Bombers and Pies don’t the better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, but Cogs playing a full match & Kelly in the middle and i dare say the part you were happy about is less of a win.

Next year, Dusty most likely wont be around and who f-ing knows with the other 2 too.

The positive today was the few kids that played well. The older guys are just getting older & the blokes out are probably still out most of next year.

But agree with the sentiment that i was happy with the day. Seeing Mansell & Green put in good performances is a definite positive.

We have too many teams and players playing at the top level.

We just dont have enough talent vs population to sustain a very high level comp with so many teams.
TBO we should be about 12- 14 teams at the most and with a much stronger reserves or second tier league.

The game wouldve be much better overall.

Allow clubs to draft as many players as they want within the cap. They’ll have to contract them off to lower leagues. That way clubs aren’t full of kids who are barely vfl standard. While very good players can’t get a look in.

Watch him closely. His efforts are embarrassing, he walks all over the ground while his opponents run free. He’s slow and unfit.

Can’t just live as a slow receiver.

that's just crazy
if his efforts are embarrassing, just how do you rate our senior players efforts?

Unfortunately I reckon our little hard nut Baker has checked out.

Doesnt seem the type that would check out. If he had made his decision to leave, I reckon he would handle that fine and give his all for the remaining time. Maybe he doesnt really know what hes doing next year.

He started very well today and then was awful. Hes in career worst form thats for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast v GWS and Changes for Port

Back