Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

He absolutely monstered Williams and Flynn today.

Gawn, Grundy and Marshall would all be ahead of him for an AA position.
I don't think he plays in a way that benefits North too much, but I reckon Xerri should be in contention along with Gawn.

I'm comfortable with big Lloyd not being an AA ruck tbh, the level just outside of AA is where Big Boy spent most of his career and he did alright for us. Reckon we're far too even to see to many of our blokes getting picked for that side. Reckon Moorey is the only one who is a definite in at this stage.

The synergy of our midfield group is fantastic at the moment, they all seem to know where one another is at all times. I was expecting a tricky game today but we absolutely ripped them to shreds out of the middle. Next week another big test but it's so good to have a consistent level of output in terms of pressure and effort and selflessness from our mids and defenders.

We obviously have some issues forward, some of it i'll put down to it being a relatively new group, but some of the finishing is just shithouse. Was glad to see the Wiz nail one from a regular run up but his snapping is actually atrocious, it's poor technique. He gets no swing on the ball from right to left so he may as well be kicking drop punts from the pocket.

We are going to be a really scary outfit when it all clicks. I still see opposition fans refer to us as a bottom four side but we are going to cause a few shocks this season even if we fail to make the 8.

Ahh I love Dwayne. Listen to him sometimes during the week when I can. He loves the hawks, has a weirdly interesting wealth of knowledge and is a man of the people who will give anyone the time of day. He throws out some great lines during play...what was it today about a plural of groups. I can't remember...anyone?
A murderation?

While we were wasteful in front of goal in the first half, I loved the way that the team put the foot down in the second half to really kick clear. A true show of character in front of a parochial Eagles crowd to silence them in the second half.

The team had a game plan and stuck to it whole heartedly throughout the game which is a testament to their will and hunger.

Highlights from the game are:
Worpels 11 clearances and 11 score involvements was huge.
Meek monstered the Eagles rucks throughout the game and loved him converting for goal.
Work rate of Moore, Ginnivan and Croc up field was terrific.
Weddles run and burst from the back half in the third quarter was scintillating.
CJ played a tremendous game, particularly his spread in attack.
Will Day is a fun and Duke continues to show was a steal he was as a MSD
Massimo D’Ambrosio puts his head over the ball and backs back with huge courage that exemplifies his determination and want to win
Scrimshaw and Frost completely dominated the Eagles key talls.
Harry Morrison was superb as the sub - put his hand up to show that he belongs in the team but a case of where and how do you fit him in.
Conor Nash’s role is so underrated - plays as a big bodied mid who will crash in at all costs.

Negatives were Dear and Sicily going off - Dear looked sore with his ribs, while Sicily would be a big loss if the shoulder damage is worse than we hope.

Are we at that stage in our development where instead of sheer gratitude at wins, we can start critiquing how we won?

This Is Nice Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Quality win. Not much to say about the hawks. Clinical. It's been a while since we have been frustrated by 10 goal losses so I'm going to relish that.

Eagles though... oof.

Scary how good Reid is that he is carrying the secondd biggest club in the land on his shoulders at 18/19. He was off today.

On that. Don't hate on Reid just because he is loved by the media. Daicos similar. They are decent kids who happen to be incredibly good, generational players. The superstar treatment from umps isn't their fault.

They're not violent, they're not nasty, they're just kids. Reid hasn't been around long but Daicos is a good role model for young men.

I used to get annoyed at the hate Cyril got just because the comms loved him, so doing it to others seems petty.

Last edited:
Well, I have just returned from the game. Man, that was a lot of fun, we are quick, we slice and dice beautifully. A solid team effort, CJ returning to form and Harry was cool and collected, a great sub. All in all you flipping beauty!
CJ looked like a genuine a grader in the first quarter. His running power is incredible

A great win away - very impressed with moore, ginnivan and mcdonal as our half forwards - there work rate is amazing.
Absolutely demolished them in the midfield, just need to improve the conversion rate.
Said to my mate, see Ginni there in back pocket defending? He started at half forward, that is work rate.

He just needs to get confident in his goal kicking, get rid of the yips, and bingo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was with Dwayne the muppet calling Ginnivan Jinnivan and Ginbey Jinbey, was it just me ?

I’m no Dwayne fan but to his credit he is the only commentator I’ve heard call CJ by his full name and call it correctly

I don't think he plays in a way that benefits North too much, but I reckon Xerri should be in contention along with Gawn.

I'm comfortable with big Lloyd not being an AA ruck tbh, the level just outside of AA is where Big Boy spent most of his career and he did alright for us. Reckon we're far too even to see to many of our blokes getting picked for that side. Reckon Moorey is the only one who is a definite in at this stage.

Moore and Sicily should be in consideration for mine. Moore especially deserves a spot if he plays the season out at this same level.

But you just know they'll chuck two midfielders on the HFF.

Should’ve won by 100+ but still happy to come away with a W. Sic, CJ, Weddle great in the backline, Day great in the midfield, D’Ambrosio on fire as always, Chol, Moore, CMac great goal kickers, nice for the Wiz to get one. Hopefully Sic, Dear, and Ginni are all in good shape for next week, so excited to ideally have Mitch back in the team for such a big game in Round 17. Future’s looking bright for the whole team. Bring on Geelong.

Moore and Sicily should be in consideration for mine. Moore especially deserves a spot if he plays the season out at this same level.

But you just know they'll chuck two midfielders on the HFF.
Been quite a bit of positive press on Dylan (especially from Kornes) so he will be in with a shot. Petracca going down with that shocking injury has probably opened up a spot on HFF for him.

Sic hasn't been as good as the previous two years but he's still been very good and the selectors owe him two AA jackets by my calculations so could be a square up coming his way.

While we were wasteful in front of goal in the first half, I loved the way that the team put the foot down in the second half to really kick clear. A true show of character in front of a parochial Eagles crowd to silence them in the second half.

The team had a game plan and stuck to it whole heartedly throughout the game which is a testament to their will and hunger.

Highlights from the game are:
Worpels 11 clearances and 11 score involvements was huge.
Meek monstered the Eagles rucks throughout the game and loved him converting for goal.
Work rate of Moore, Ginnivan and Croc up field was terrific.
Weddles run and burst from the back half in the third quarter was scintillating.
CJ played a tremendous game, particularly his spread in attack.
Will Day is a fun and Duke continues to show was a steal he was as a MSD
Massimo D’Ambrosio puts his head over the ball and backs back with huge courage that exemplifies his determination and want to win
Scrimshaw and Frost completely dominated the Eagles key talls.
Harry Morrison was superb as the sub - put his hand up to show that he belongs in the team but a case of where and how do you fit him in.
Conor Nash’s role is so underrated - plays as a big bodied mid who will crash in at all costs.

Negatives were Dear and Sicily going off - Dear looked sore with his ribs, while Sicily would be a big loss if the shoulder damage is worse than we hope.
I'll repeat the shout out to Nash...he is so steadfast in 'doing the job' whatever that may be at the time. Pivotal player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 16, 2024: Hawks cook the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back