Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

reality bites, no big deal. I think we have performed well above expectations so far this year, and will probably end up with 10 or 11 wins, which very few saw coming.
disappointed Serong didn't get a gig, Mitchell was ordinary and out of place in the side.
mid-field pummeled, they need to get bigger and stronger, and they will.
Dylan Moore led from the front, what an absolute star.
Gunner and Breust showing their age, not enough pressure to justify their selection.

Also, keep in mind that how people react to that loss is also based on how they assessed the team. I don't think Sam was throwing wobblies in the coaches box but rather watching how the team was handling the situation. They haven't been in this position before - playing for a possible spot in the eight.

I’d also like to give a shout out to the umpires who let Geelong kick not one but two goals in seperate instances because we were a man down without play being stopped.

It certainly wasn’t the reason we lost but there were two standards tonight.
Sorry, but the umpires might have made mistakes, but the only double standards are within that which Geelong produced, and what we did.

We were weak, poor at the selection table, and out coached. Maybe we were tired from Perth , bad luck. We were seriously outplayed.

We needed that. We aren’t a finished product yet and hopefully now the media will shut the **** up.

Geelong played really well and they deserve credit. They never let up and we couldn’t find a way to disrupt them.

Learn from how much pressure good teams put on you. Learn how to deal with it and learn how to emulate it. Then we can make these losses a positive. I think we are capable of doing that.

ps we didn’t lose because of Sicily just please don’t

Yep agree this game has as much learning from this game as the port game, this time it’s all about the pressure you need to put on at AFL level, and executing your skill in this type of pressure in a final.

Terrible performance and terrible selections. Just can’t play Gunston, Breust and Lewis in same team. Shammy selection very confusing. Should have gone with Phillips over him, then Weddle would not have to play KPD , and can be more creative.
The only midfielder to fire was Day, Worpel was ok in patches, Newc was MIA.
Backline looked awful all day without Sic. Just goes to show how much better he makes everyone else. That’s why getting Battle is so important.

Poor performance and were just off the pace today - skill errors cost us and made us second guess ourselves.
Moore and Day the standouts for me.

Unfortunately I don't think our forward line can contain Lewis, Gunston and Breust in it together - not enough forward pressure to keep it in.

All rather gormless and pathetic.

We were 'off' from the first minute...our trademark 'numbers and pressure' wilted like warm lettuce.

There is some fragility there.
Fragility is apt.

Felt our mids were exposed today which is dissapointing. The Cats hardly have a stellar line up there. Our forward line did the best it could with the limited opps. The backline was under siege so hard to assess their performance.

The one positive is we need games like this to get to the next level. For both players and the coaching team. We will be better for the experience.

It looked like when a junior team get a crack at the adult side. They'll mess around with then for a bit, then put the foot down when needed.
I saw the Same as always when we play Geelong...kicks into fwd 50 straight to defenders standing on their own...kicks to the defenders advantage when kicking to contests....bigger bodies cracking in...broken tackles and Geelong jumpers hitting contests at speed.
Same as it ever was....for some reason.

Oh well. Get on with it...there's another game coming up next weekend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but the umpires might have made mistakes, but the only double standards are within that which Geelong produced, and what we did.

We were weak, poor at the selection table, and out coached. Maybe we were tired from Perth , bad luck. We were seriously outplayed.

100% the reason we lost is we simply weren’t good enough to match their intensity.

But I’ve never seen two instances in a game where our player is in the hands of the trainers and the play is just allowed to continue. Made worse by the fact that 1 minute later, they pay a free for high contact on De Koning for the smallest of contact while letting Lewis get decapitated no problem. I thought it was notable enough to comment on.

Can we never play a game at that pathetic tinpot stadium again. I particularly enjoyed the lines for food that did not remotely move the entirety of the half time break - and the mobile coverage that resembled something from over a decade ago. Between that and the staff who didn’t know how the seating worked - great job all round you pathetic hick town.

we played terribly and lost badly. I’d be more worried if we were ‘on’ and got smashed.

Bad loss and think the problem started at the coal face. Don’t know stats but would bet we lost the ground ball stats we supposedly excel at.

Think this is a case of learn the lesson, regroup and go again. i think we win the next 3 and sept is still a real possibility.

100% the reason we lost is we simply weren’t good enough to match their intensity.

But I’ve never seen two instances in a game where our player is in the hands of the trainers and the play is just allowed to continue. Made worse by the fact that 1 minute later, they pay a free for high contact on De Koning for the smallest of contact while letting Lewis get decapitated no problem. I thought it was notable enough to comment on.

They only stop the game if:
A) stretcher on the ground, or
B) their is a risk that the ball will be contested in the vicinity of the injured player.

For ML, the ball was streaming the other way.
For WD, he was out of the field and of play.

AFL will sign off on both.

We were quite literally never in the game. From the first bounce we were chasing tail. We struggled to get our hands on the ball and were fumbly when we did. The cats were cleaner and looked like they were running training drills at times.

We finally got a run on happening in the 3rd and looked like we could get within 2 or 3 goals before 3/4 time. That all came to a crashing halt when Amon turned it over at half back with an absolute shocking kick which took the wind out of our sails.

That should be the last time we see Breust & Gunners in the same team unless it's for a farewell game. We can carry one on a good day but not both and definitely not with Lewis in the side. Our forward line had a completely different dynamic coz it wad so slow and they rebounded it so easily.

Our backline struggled but some of the delivery by the cats was centimetre perfect because there was no pressure up the ground.

A lot to work on for a lot of guys that may have been drinking their own bathwater after a stretch of good games.

Some of the damage done at match committee.

Weddle is NOT a lock down defender.
Put him on a wing and let him run.

Amon is wasted down back, and hardly defends anyway.
Put him half forward.

Breust and Gunston can’t keep up with the pace.
By all means, pick one and make him sub.
The other has to play for BH.
Yeah but there literally is no wing on that ******ed ground. Looks more like a long soccer pitch from behind the goals.

As for the fumbles, yeah everything is squeezed there and it showed, combined with cats bringing pressure like they haven’t in weeks.
Joke of a ground, considering it was redone a couple of years ago, the shape is nothing short of a farce.

All that said, cats played it well and we didn’t. Trap well laid

The cats played unbelievably well today unfortunately. IMO they havent played better this season. Everything was working for them - shutting down the field and turning pressure into offensive momentum.

They rattled us early on and we could never get our game going based on the way they positioned themselves on the narrow field.

Sad for Mitch - hoping for the best but that his knee looked f*****d

I agree Lewis should have got a free.

But the rest of play, up until the goal, showed a bunch of poor efforts, missed tackles, and bad positioning. Cats player in the goals, easy kick.

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back