Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked very flat early after only a 6 day break off the WA trip. Did not have the same ferocious energy that was brought the past couple months.

We did alright from halfway through the second quarter until late in the game when they got a couple junk goals. It was an arm wrestle for most of the day. I liked that we tried fighting it out until the end. The Mitch Lewis injury so unfair. Hopefully he pulls up well and no damage to the knee either.

Backing us to bounce back strong against Freo.

Well we've seen our best and worst this season

The gap between the two is still wider than the grand canyon but unlike said canyon, our gap is thankfully getting smaller

Speed bump in the road but the light is still at the end of the tunnel

Some of the damage done at match committee.

Weddle is NOT a lock down defender.
Put him on a wing and let him run.

Amon is wasted down back, and hardly defends anyway.
Put him half forward.

Breust and Gunston can’t keep up with the pace.
By all means, pick one and make him sub.
The other has to play for BH.
sorta breaks ya heart talking about Breust and Gunners like that.....................but I guess it happens to every great player

It looked like when a junior team get a crack at the adult side. They'll mess around with then for a bit, then put the foot down when needed.
I saw the Same as always when we play Geelong...kicks into fwd 50 straight to defenders standing on their own...kicks to the defenders advantage when kicking to contests....bigger bodies cracking in...broken tackles and Geelong jumpers hitting contests at speed.
Same as it ever was....for some reason.

Oh well. Get on with it...there's another game coming up next weekend!
Amazing isn’t it?

Whilst I think the 6 day turnaround is an excuse, we should excuse the bad performance today as a mulligan. They deserve our support.

I think the Fremantle game next week is now a must win for the side if they still hold hope of getting finals experience this year.

We just never gave our selves any chance today with the self sabotaging. The amount of times we spoilt each other or made the simplest of errors under no pressure was mind blowing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst game of the year to have Sicily out.

Given this was the first game since the opening round where we had a chance of jumping back into the 8 given the other results today, it really looked like the weight of expectation impacted the team. Coupled with no leadership down back, we looked tentative and nervous all game. Those nerves created a massive number of turnovers, and the vast majority of Cat shots on goal resulted from those turnovers. The most fumbly we've looked in some time.

Hopefully when we've climbed up the ladder in future seasons, we can avoid going down to Geelong. The ground dimensions was a massive contributor to our lack of ability to get any run, and exit cleanly from defensive 50.

Feel for Lewis, wasn't at is best , which is understandable given how many weeks he's been out of AFL level, but seemed to be getting some touch back before the elbow to the head. Fingers crossed on his knee.

Sh!t coaching.

Sh!t team selection.

Sh!t on the ball.

Sh!t pressure.

Sh!t disposal.

Sh!t defending.

Sh!t effort.
Just type "shit" if you mean it champ, and piss off with your negativity

This loss is an example of how we are still not a finished product and still not quite good enough to cover losses like Sis and Ginni just yet.
Yet I do think we are better than we how played today.

Agree with most of the sentiment in that we were due for a loss, and frankly this was a bit of mare for just about everyone so I think it’s a bit unfair singling out individual players.

Game was definitely lost in the midfield, so whilst we did miss Sicily, not too many defences in the comp would be able to withstand the amount of repeat ball entries coming in way too easily through the middle the way it did today.

Umpiring, stupid sized ground, silly fumbles and a couple of bad knocks to key players just made it a mountain too high to climb the moment it looked like we might be putting together a bit of momentum.

Onto next week.

we played shit and deservedly lost.
If we had played anywhere near our best i’d be worried. But we didn’t, well below what we’ve shown last month or two. It’s an unfortunate dip but we have time to correct.

On to next week.

Had a good run with no changes then falter off the short break and loss of the skip.

Hindsight Serong should have come in, Lewis may have been early and poor Gunna and Breust are up against it.

Ginnivan was a huge loss, has been great getting up the field and making things happen.

We will be better for it but shows we need our best team in there best condition to win at this point.

Flat footed and late to everything from the get go. Not sure what lessons we can really learn from that. I'm sure we already knew that if you don't show up, you don't win.

Hopefully we can bounce back against Freo.

Lost with a kicking gameplan in the first half.
We played pretty well after half time when we went back to our normal gameplan of running and linking up

Sam takes too long to make changes in games. Not sure if it's teaching moments to see if the players can make the changes, but it's a killer, especially when things aren't working early in games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back