Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately we did lose to them twice pretty convincingly. There's still a gap between us and the best teams this year. Reckon we are in the 8-13 range - if everything goes right we could sneak into finals, but most likely 'top half of the bottom 10'. Still good progress from last year. Goal should be finals next year and contending in 2026/27.

Having said that Adelaide probably felt the same after their 2023 season, so nothing is guaranteed. Need to work bloody hard in this comp to keep improving - coaches, players, recruiters.

I guess my question is. Are Geelong genuinely top 4?

Self destructed. Poor game plan given the way the cats setup on this ground. As mentioned, it was noticeable from the very beginning where the players had no room move and were forced to take risky options or kick out to contests.

So his “go home” factor had nothing to do with being indigenous.

There you go. 👍
You're missing the point. People on here were saying he was a flight risk when he walked into the club. But don't say the same thing for other players from that state.

Put myself through the pain again and watched some of the replay.

What is evident is how well they block up the space when the opposition have the ball. Time and time again we tried to hit a 30 metre pass and had it chopped off as the Cats were well positioned and ready to pounce.

Also what was evident was they were out to hurt us at every chance with a hard hit tackle.

Why we let Tom Fn Stewart just run around in the middle and do as he pleased was really poor from us.

Who was on Count Dracula Close? I can’t work it out from the replay as nobody stood near him.

Danger continually barges through us and smashes into us whenever he can and we don’t respond.

Jezza needs one right on the beak. Could we get Frosty to accidentally stick his knees into his ribs next time we play them?

A real soft game over in Perth, (let’s be honest the Eagles are not playing for their coach any longer) plus the media salivating all over us all week and a ramped up Geelong on that kids sized ground was the perfect storm and we copped a serious whack.

Freo have a great record against us.

Massive test coming up.

Last edited:

What is evident is how well they block up the space when the opposition have the ball. Time and time again we tried to hit a 30 metre pass and had it chopped off as the Cats were well positioned and ready to pounce.

Also what was evident was they were out to hurt us at every chance with a hard hit tackle.

Why we let Tom Fn Stewart just run around in the middle and do as he pleased was really poor from us.

Who was on Count Dracula Close? I can’t work it out from the replay as nobody stood near him.

Danger continually barges through us and smashes into us whenever he can and we don’t respond.

Jezza needs one right on the beak. Could we get Frosty to accidentally stick his knees into his ribs next time we play them?

A real soft game over in Perth, (let’s be honest the Eagles are not playing for their coach and longer) plus the media salivating all over us all week and a ramped up Geelong on that kids sized ground was the perfect storm and we copped a serious whack.

Massive test coming up.

If we ever have to play there again a player like CJ probably needs to be a strategic omission also. The occasional fumble can be recoverable on the MCG because he can use his speed to burn his defender on the outside. He had absolutely nowhere to run on Saturday so his fumbles were magnified because he was immediately under instant pressure. Amon would have been a better option on CJs wing on the night for that reason - granted our defensive stocks were thin so we didn't have the luxury of playing him there.

Well, that was disappointing. I expected us to dominate in the middle and Meek to have his way in the ruck. Neither of those things were close to happening.

On the skinny ground it definitely feels harder to bite off some of the long slicing kicks we like to do, as well as switching to what is effectively a flat wing.
Even if you are not using the wings a lot the corridor is still a lot more cramped up than we are used to and their defensive structures are really good for denying options out of the defensive 50.
Cats were clinical and punished all of our mistakes. I didn't think this group would get rattled by the location and occasion but in hindsight I think that was definitely a factor, especially since they got on top early and the doubts came creeping in.

We were taught a lesson and as long as we can learn and get better from it then I'm glad it happened this year rather than next. The finals dream is still alive by a thread. Would love to just be playing meaningful football for as long as possible rather than playing the spoiler.

If we ever have to play there again a player like CJ probably needs to be a strategic omission also. The occasional fumble can be recoverable on the MCG because he can use his speed to burn his defender on the outside. He had absolutely nowhere to run on Saturday so his fumbles were magnified because he was immediately under instant pressure. Amon would have been a better option on CJs wing on the night for that reason - granted our defensive stocks were thin so we didn't have the luxury of playing him there.
Maybe it's just that pretty much everyone was poor but I was unprepared for how much the ground nullifies wing play, really noticeable in person.

You're missing the point. People on here were saying he was a flight risk when he walked into the club. But don't say the same thing for other players from that state.

Rubbish - Daniel Chick was pegged as a flight risk early days due to his close ties in WA. We did everything in our power to keep him at the club but the inevitable happened and we lost him when he was at the peak of his powers

Strategic omission?

Stop fumbling, CJ. Handle the ball cleanly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong has come off a vigorous physical training block, (hence their recent form) which has them primed for the run home into finals…. And it showed.

They were running through brick walls and were able to maintain an elite level of burst play and breakaway speed the entire match.

They were hulking on Saturday night and if they can keep their stars fit for September , they look like they will have a real crack at another flag, unfortunately !

We are miles off this physicality.

A real soft game over in Perth, (let’s be honest the Eagles are not playing for their coach any longer) plus the media salivating all over us all week and a ramped up Geelong on that kids sized ground was the perfect storm and we copped a serious whack.

Massive test coming up.
All great points

fwiw - Cats had 76 intercept possessions to our 61. Your point about our kicks getting chopped off is so true.
( stats from afl and i hope my maths is right )

Gotta say also… the Nash blanketing Dangerfield killed our midfield offensive effectiveness.

Was it worth it? I don’t think so, essentially gave our midfield no chance with Nash not able to provide the usual protection for our mids. I’d rather have seen Daysy go head to head with Danger and have Nash clearing the way for Newk and Worpel.

I haven’t watched the game again, but this is essentially what I saw on the night.

Gotta say also… the Nash blanketing Dangerfield killed our midfield offensive effectiveness.

Was it worth it? I don’t think so, essentially gave our midfield no chance with Nash not able to provide the usual protection for our mids. I’d rather have seen Daysy go head to head with Danger and have Nash clearing the way for Newk and Worpel.

I haven’t watched the game again, but this is essentially what I saw on the night.
I think Nashy fumbled the entire first half. Just couldn't get a handle on the ball. Pressure got the best of him. I think we as a team didn't handle the pressure. A very similar game to the Swans game earlier in the season. A work in progress we need to play more games like these.

Our boys are greyhounds mostly. The cats looked huge in comparison.
To be fair their biggest bodied players are all in their 30's, Stewart, Danger, Blicavs etc. Hardened bodies developed over years in the system. Our boys are lads by comparison.
Has to be said Scott coached superbly, had these bigger guys in the midfield from the start. They banged and crashed from the get go and set the tone early (and for the day). Danger did his job for a half, job done by halftime, he's then "managed" for the rest of the game. We wilted a little under their physicality.

We would have learnt heaps from Saturday .

Geelong are throwing Stewart through the middle and also getting some other inceptors further up the field and rotating through .
It's a decent tactic and no doubt to cover there weak midfield .
Worked against us and also *.

Once they pressed us to the narrow side as they planned too , closed outlets for us we were on the backfoot .

They were never winning a running race against us . Contest , pressure and intercept did the trick .

Better now than a final

Our boys are greyhounds mostly. The cats looked huge in comparison.

It’s the jumper. I think danks helped designing it.
They had quite a few young or inexperienced players too.

I agree Sam should be emphasising the work hawks need to do to be real challengers, but like last year it’s very even most weeks, and finals are won by a couple of goals.

Geelong has come off a vigorous physical training block, (hence their recent form) which has them primed for the run home into finals…. And it showed.

They were running through brick walls and were able to maintain an elite level of burst play and breakaway speed the entire match.

They were hulking on Saturday night and if they can keep their stars fit for September , they look like they will have a real crack at another flag, unfortunately !

We are miles off this physicality.

Ah the old training block

I do wonder I assume it’s a lot to do with the ground and not getting used to it but when the heck was the last time we played Geelong and were never really in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back