Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most would. But Grundy will be All Australian this year won't he? He's a clearance beast, and around the ground a midfielder. Would make us so much better.

The others are just superstars.
Wouldn't have won the premiership last year had we not moved him on & had all the subsequent changes which occurred following his departure.

So I don't care whether he's AA or not for his third club.

Like I said I'd much prefer one of Errol, Chad or Heeney instead of Grundy.

It's a simple message. Pick yourself up. Work hard. Try to get better.

How do you want him to diverge from that message?
There are some posters here who do not think the coach is doing anything if he's not projecting their angst and getting all angry.

They seem to think that it will help somehow.

There are some posters here who do not think the coach is doing anything if he's not projecting their angst and getting all angry.

And they seem to want him to do it publicly so they can all see it 🥴 otherwise it never happened.

Nothing like a bit of public shaming to motivate you.

The stupidity is to not have the perspective to understand that despite the missteps, we still won a flag.
So by definition, those same missteps did NOT impeded our ability to win the only thing that counts.
In fact it could be argued that the missteps, actually increased the sense of urgency to find an alternative direction to ultimately win a flag

Mission accomplished.

Win one and then what?

Can't just be for the now should always be looking to the future to some degree too.

Also had they got it right at the trade table in those deals they may of been better placed to go B2B.

Win one and then what?

Can't just be for the now should always be looking to the future to some degree too.

Also had they got it right at the trade table in those deals they may of been better placed to go B2B.
Loki - I have confidence.
We pivoted despite the missteps and won a flag. We never bottom out and still contend.
Hawks and NM have been bottom dwellers for years and now have a great list that could contend for a long time.

I don’t think supporters or our Administration want that approach.

Win one and then what?

We'll try to load up to be in contention over the next few seasons - until JDG, Moore and Bruzzy get too old - which will coincide with Tassie concessions probably finishing - then it's likely to be time to rebuild.

Wouldn't have won the premiership last year had we not moved him on & had all the subsequent changes which occurred following his departure.

So I don't care whether he's AA or not for his third club.

Like I said I'd much prefer one of Errol, Chad or Heeney instead of Grundy.

Like I said, Grundy would make us better. The other three would make us much better. We agree. Best not to frame it as disagreement. So:

Not sure why make the point about "moving him on=premiership."

Anyway, there's an argument we would have won by more had he stayed. It's all speculation, EM, unless you wanna go the full hindsight bias, which you can if you want to. It's a fun game. We would never have won had McStay not injured himself and been ruled out of the GF. QED -- we need more i juries to Dan! We would never have won the premiership if we hadn't selected Freeman and Sharenberg. Etc.

Like I said, Grundy would make us better. The other three would make us much better. We agree. Best not to frame it as disagreement. So:

Not sure why make the point about "moving him on=premiership."

Anyway, there's an argument we would have won by more had he stayed. It's all speculation, EM, unless you wanna go the full hindsight bias, which you can if you want to. It's a fun game. We would never have won had McStay not injured himself and been ruled out of the GF. QED -- we need more i juries to Dan! We would never have won the premiership if we hadn't selected Freeman and Sharenberg. Etc.
Agree to disagree. I'm more than happy with that. FP.

Tassie will make our rebuild longer due to the draft. I prefer an expansion draft for Tasmania like most North American sports leagues such as the MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL and MLS when there is a new team entering a major sports league with a separate draft over the normal draft

Okay, that's all fair enough. I can totally see that argument. Though I think he's improved this year, as you would expect a 22 year old to do.
Slightly off topic but I was interested to read on social media that Ginnivan copped some sort of wrist injury on the weekend and is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the season. Ain't karma a bitch?

Slightly off topic but I was interested to read on social media that Ginnivan copped some sort of wrist injury on the weekend and is likely to be sidelined for the rest of the season. Ain't karma a bitch?
More likely he got that wrist injury after the game.

He seemed pretty happy with himself.

You know that some humans have capacity to expand their vocabulary and wield the English language in a way that can allow one to still ultimately convey a message of positivity without repeated platitudes that are the literal antithesis of your on field performance yeah?

But then...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know that some humans have capacity to expand their vocabulary and wield the English language in a way that can allow one to still ultimately convey a message of positivity without repeated platitudes that are the literal antithesis of your on field performance yeah?

But then...
Do you expect an answer to such a shallow question?

With such an input from a literal genius like yourself we are now well on the way to a recovery of our fortunes.

It's such a good question that you mustn't have been wearing your merch when you thought of it (or is it wearing the merch now? I can't remember which one our fortunes depend upon).

But then...
Is this because McRae says "we're getting better every day" rather than "we're trying to get better every day?"

If so, - how do you think it negatively impacts our performance?

Do you expect an answer to such a shallow question?

With such an input from a literal genius like yourself we are now well on the way to a recovery of our fortunes.

It's such a good question that you mustn't have been wearing your merch when you thought of it (or is it wearing the merch now? I can't remember which one our fortunes depend upon).

So a nothing answer from a nothing person. Expected

Is this because McRae says "we're getting better every day" rather than "we're trying to get better every day?"

If so, - how do you think it negatively impacts our performance?

Who is saying his press conferences affect our performance?

I'd wager most would contend nothing being said in the Press Conference is giving many supporters comfort that anything is actually being addressed.

Which is indicated by our performances each week

Ultimately, people would like to feel somewhat reassured that something is actually being done about our current situation. Saying almost the exact same things at pressers that he says when we're winning, while we continue to get worse on field, would logically make people think not much is being done.

Which naturally, annoys and frustrates.

I'd wager most would contend nothing being said in the Press Conference is giving many supporters comfort that anything is actually being addressed.

Ultimately, people would like to feel somewhat reassured that something is actually being done about our current situation. Saying almost the exact same things at pressers that he says when we're winning, while we continue to get worse on field, would logically make people think not much is being done.

Sounds like you want him to hit the same emotional feelings as you? Whilst press conferences might be for fans, they're also messages from a coach that are received by players and need to be consistent with his general messaging to players. He's not going to wallow in misery after a loss as it's counter-productive.

Last edited:
Sounds like you want him to hit the same emotional feelings as you? Whilst press conferences might be for fans, they're also messages from a coach that are received by players and need to be consistent with his general messaging to players. He's not going to wallow in misery after a loss as it's counter-productive.

Again...no one has asked for wallowing is misery

I don't understand, are some of you even reading the posts you're replying to?

Who asked him to be miserable?

But then...
Certainly don’t think Fly is deliberately trotting out repeated platitudes to avoid scrutiny or criticism. Ultimately whether his comments are regarded as platitudes or not is in the ear of the beholder.
Our performances aren’t matching our aspirations but our aspirations haven’t changed with regards to what we want to achieve or how we go about achieving it or as Fly put it to our fans “ that’s not representative of who we are or what we want to be”.
Still I don’t think it would matter whether Fly expanded his vocabulary and said it with different words it would still be regarded as platitudes by some.

Again...no one has asked for wallowing is misery

I don't understand, are some of you even reading the posts you're replying to?

Who asked him to be miserable?
I read your post. It was about you wanting to feel reassured by what McRae says in a press conference. I was guessing that you wanted wallowing. What did you want? What would have reassured or comforted you and why do you think he might not have gone that way?

Certainly don’t think Fly is deliberately trotting out repeated platitudes to avoid scrutiny or criticism. Ultimately whether his comments are regarded as platitudes or not is in the ear of the beholder.
Our performances aren’t matching our aspirations but our aspirations haven’t changed with regards to what we want to achieve or how we go about achieving it or as Fly put it to our fans “ that’s not representative of who we are or what we want to be”.
Still I don’t think it would matter whether Fly expanded his vocabulary and said it with different words it would still be regarded as platitudes by some.

Not sure I agree completely there

If I was to hear something more along the lines of, "We don't seem to be connected, now we need to address the root of why this is happening when it wasn't an issue for the last two seasons"

As opposed to

"We're not standing still, we're getting better every day"

Would at least let people know that he's acknowledging the problem and is working towards working out the issue that isn't miserable, isn't him getting angry, still remaining positive but at least providing supporters (who he himself directly addresses frequently in pressers) some kind of direct confirmation that a real issue is acknowledged and being addressed

Then we have the on field results that should technically hold him to account for that

So if we still continue to get worse, then clearly they haven't figured out the issue. But at least they haven't thrown platitudes in our face after it.

It's mostly optics ultimately and I understand that, but half this business is about optics isn't it? The media wouldn't have a job otherwise.

So a nothing answer from a nothing person. Expected

I don’t understand where the fear that nothing’s being done comes from and I don’t think it’s FLY’s job to allay that fear. In fact I would have thought he might have built some trust over the last two and a half years. Five matches to go in the 2024 home and away segment of the season yet as well.

I don’t understand where the fear that nothing’s being done comes from and I don’t think it’s FLY’s job to allay that fear. In fact I would have thought he might have built some trust over the last two and a half years. Five matches to go in the 2024 home and away segment of the season yet as well.

I'd wager part of Fly's job is to do that?

Otherwise why even have press conferences? Why interact with fans at all?

You understand this sport doesn't exist without fans and members yeah? Like, everything is literally about the fans and members. Which is also why you see Fly stare down the barrel of the camera during pressers and directly address us?

Not sure I agree completely there

If I was to hear something more along the lines of, "We don't seem to be connected, now we need to address the root of why this is happening when it wasn't an issue for the last two seasons"

As opposed to

"We're not standing still, we're getting better every day"

Would at least let people know that he's acknowledging the problem and is working towards working out the issue that isn't miserable, isn't him getting angry, still remaining positive but at least providing supporters (who he himself directly addresses frequently in pressers) some kind of direct confirmation that a real issue is acknowledged and being addressed

Then we have the on field results that should technically hold him to account for that

So if we still continue to get worse, then clearly they haven't figured out the issue. But at least they haven't thrown platitudes in our face after it.

It's mostly optics ultimately and I understand that, but half this business is about optics isn't it? The media wouldn't have a job otherwise.
For the love of Pete, it was a coach's line in a press conference. It doesn't need thousands of words of analysis. Let it go.

I'd wager part of Fly's job is to do that?

Otherwise why even have press conferences? Why interact with fans at all?

You understand this sport doesn't exist without fans and members yeah? Like, everything is literally about the fans and members. Which is also why you see Fly stare down the barrel of the camera during pressers and directly address us?
Yeah I don’t know. Seems to me people want Fly to explain to them why the sky’s falling in, why it happened and how they are going to fix it when all that’s happened is a few clouds have passed over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19 = Hawthorn 133-67 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back