AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly don't get the tone in here - a lot of you think we are a lot better than we actually are, obviously.

We won a game that earlier in the season (or recent seasons past) we would have lost. It's progress.

Bolton is a great coach, he consistently junks it up/gets the game on his terms against more fancied opposition. Every time we were held up and had to kick down the line, we played into their hands. They had the run of play for most of the game, yet we found a way to win.

For us that's progress, and I for one am happy about it

Honestly don't get the tone in here - a lot of you think we are a lot better than we actually are, obviously.

We won a game that earlier in the season (or recent seasons past) we would have lost. It's progress.

Bolton is a great coach, he consistently junks it up/gets the game on his terms against more fancied opposition. Every time we were held up and had to kick down the line, we played into their hands. They had the run of play for most of the game, yet we found a way to win.

For us that's progress, and I for one am happy about it
He must be the best coach in history to make us kick 85 points in a row. Most from easy shots.

If you leave the forward to go where he likes, yes, you're right, you can't defend it. But if you man up close to him, keep body contact, and start actively pushing him, before the kicker kicks, then you can prevent him from choosing where he goes, and where the ball can be kicked to his advantage.
Rule 1 - engage the forward in physical push and shove and don't let him go wherever he wants.
Once upon a time, yes, but now it's a balancing act between attack and defence. He defends like you say, how much does it impact his intercept play and rebound?

3AW commentary of final 2 mins

That was great! The roar when Tippa kicked the sealer was so loud. I was on the wing, in the nosebleeds, with pretty much an entire row to myself, and as he kicked it, I found myself on my knees, arms in the air, and screaming with joy.

Also, that pick up by Stewart prior to passing to Tippa was fantastic. He is much more agile than somebody his size should be.

I only watched the last quarter and a bit. Chins' commentary was sickening, blatant barracking much of the time.

We need to learn how to better deal with the opposition clogging the middle.

How can you comment on game style if you only watched one quarter ? One quarter is not always indicative of the three previous quarters.

Is it that, or is just that we expect AFL players to do the basics better than they do?

IMO today's game was terrible as spectacle, because players from both sides kept making simple skill errors, or missing obvious options in order to do something stupid with the ball. The North/Collingwood game is a similar example. It doesn't have to be perfect, we're a middle of the road side with some skill deficiencies; but what we served up today (and what we are seeing tonight) is a joke for a top level competition, and a team who is trying to play finals should be able to play a much cleaner and smarter brand of football

If you leave the forward to go where he likes, yes, you're right, you can't defend it. But if you man up close to him, keep body contact, and start actively pushing him, before the kicker kicks, then you can prevent him from choosing where he goes, and where the ball can be kicked to his advantage.
Rule 1 - engage the forward in physical push and shove and don't let him go wherever he wants.

The forward 50 was open and Silvani was leading accross the goals towards he boundary then changed direction towards the kicker and got a short pass - when there's that much space you can do none of what you are suggesting.

Defenders cant stop forwards running and they cant stop a low short pass unless they have fletcher type reach and pace.

A good enough pass to a forward will almost always do any defender.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent most of the second half with a sickening feeling that Carlton were going to end our season.
But Tippa rescued the day.
We totally pinched that one.

By the way, Carlton have to be the worst team going around to watch.
Their game style is a stain on the competition, and an insult to anyone who enjoys watching football.
The AFL should act.
I don't know if you've seen any of the Kangas v Pies game but...shockingly awful

I honestly think its just one of those mental things that sides have. ie Sydney v the Hawks, Geelong v the Pies, Melb v Norf.

I honestly think we are more than capable of beating the crows next week.

Tagging sloane really messes with them too, so Bird coming in for Jobe is a must.

I disagree - I will bring in McGrath, Kelly and Begley for Fantasia, Watson and Howlett - Begley can do the Fantasia role, while Parish and Goddard can share Watson's role.

Is it that, or is just that we expect AFL players to do the basics better than they do?

IMO today's game was terrible as spectacle, because players from both sides kept making simple skill errors, or missing obvious options in order to do something stupid with the ball. The North/Collingwood game is a similar example. It doesn't have to be perfect, we're a middle of the road side with some skill deficiencies; but what we served up today (and what we are seeing tonight) is a joke for a top level competition, and a team who is trying to play finals should be able to play a much cleaner and smarter brand of football

It's a tough game mate - just take the win, it was a good one

Frustrating how it played out, but in this type of season I'll happily take the 4 points and move on.

Random thoughts:
  • Fantasia's injury seemed to coincide with McKenna fading a bit (I'm guessing they tightened up on him) and we became very stagnant just when it looked like we would blow them off the park.
  • Credit to Hooker for not shying away from having shots despite all the misses. For some reason I was confident he would kick that last one. He's a warrior.
  • Loved Green's game despite the misses. Knows how to get involved when we counter attack.
  • Heppell and Walla were massive all game. Parish and Zaharakis very good, again. Merrett not far behind but maybe that's because I hold him to a higher standard. Despite this our midfield struggled...
  • The form of Jobe and Myers is really hurting us. As soon as the ball is 2m away from them they are out of the contest and they aren't getting enough of it or using it well enough to make up for it.
  • Liam Jones...what the hell. Bloody good game.

If people are THAT angry that we fell over the line against Carlton, of all ******* teams, then you just haven't been paying attention these last 2 decades.
I've had just about enough of people reminding me of the last 15 years!

The forward 50 was open and Silvani was leading accross the goals towards he boundary then changed direction towards the kicker and got a short pass - when there's that much space you can do none of what you are suggesting.

Defenders cant stop forwards running and they cant stop a low short pass unless they have fletcher type reach and pace.

A good enough pass to a forward will almost always do any defender.

He let him get goal side pretty easily at a crucial time in the game and he marked it uncontested directly in front.

Great defenders don't let that happen at the best of times let alone when our seasons on the line. I regard Hurley as a great defender, he wouldn't be overly happy with today

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast Round 20: 8 Point win against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back