Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gees that was the incredibly frustrating.

You just knew we’d shut down after Ned’s goal early last quarter, allowing them to roar back.

Positives?

Steele was great.
Long showed a fair bit tonight.
Isaac’s best game of the year.
Anyone who needs off season surgery, go get it now!
Give Ed Allan a game or two in the centre.
Try Reef on the ball as well. See what they’ve both got, albeit they’ll be against pretty tough opponents.

This loss in particular should ensure we’ll be a whole lot hungrier next year than they were this year and also better prepared for season start - hopefully not be 0-3 in a blink of an eye with the crazy short breaks early on.

We deserved to be premiers last year, tbh, we haven’t been the same team this year in all honesty.

Special shout out to the umps as well 🤮 hmmm, don’t love it when two teams, whoever they are, appear to have different thresholds for what’s a free and what isn’t.

Anyhow, it was a real stretch that we’d make finals from where we were, at least we can all relax now ( a rare commodity for a Pies fan 🙂)

Take care all.
I thought Bytel started to show a bit also ..

The thing that annoys me is we’re not even good at burning time. We can never chip the ball around and take the sting out of the game. We just continue going up the line and give the opponent the opportunity to win the ball back.
Didn’t even try switch it. Slow or fast. We’ve not done it all season, ridiculous.

Funnily enough a bloke named Jeff went on SEN a few weeks ago on Midday Madness with Dwayne Russell and said the umpires undoubtedly have an anti Pies bias, in line with the general percentage of population that love to hate us.

He was nearly laughed off the station and his call was replayed throughout the day to bait opposition fans into calling in.

Jeff would still be shaking his head this morning! Maybe he had a point.

Season seemed done when we lost to Hawthorn
Somehow other results went our way and gave hope again, and now that hope has been taken away. Makes it feel worse.

A pass mark for a premiership defence year would be making a Prelim at the minimum in my opinion.

Not making finals, a big F. Season 2024, what a waste.

Time to get surgeries for anyone needing them.

Play some of the kids to see who we continue with and who we move on.

It’s just so deflating after the highs of 2022 and of course 2023, to become this team that has forgotten how to win now. Such a shadow of our former selves. The thrill ride we’ve been on the past two seasons, came to an abrupt halt.

Poor umpiring is also ruining footy now. It was a factor last night. It’s been a factor throughout the season. Had enough of it now.

Funnily enough a bloke named Jeff went on SEN a few weeks ago on Midday Madness with Dwayne Russell and said the umpires undoubtedly have an anti Pies bias, in line with the general percentage of population that love to hate us.

He was nearly laughed off the station and his call was replayed throughout the day to bait opposition fans into calling in.

Jeff would still be shaking his head this morning! Maybe he had a point.
I remember that. Funnily enough I turned off SEN when they did that and I haven't turned it back on since.

First time I've been angry with this team in three years. Pathetic and sadly predictable. At no stage did I feel comfortable or confident and sure enough, my lack of faith was justified, yet again. The inability to put sides away has been a real issue for three years but our narrow and often lucky wins camouflaged this glaring problem.

We should have won the grand final by four or five goals and snuck home by a bee's dick. I wonder if Fly will address it at the presser.
Have you changed your mind about Long?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just in case it hasn’t been posted already;

McRae’s right that was a home ground umpiring performance. On the tv swan fans in the crowd were booing any decision that didn’t go their. Much like the eagles in Perth.

Strange we rarely get games umpired that way in Melbourne despite our large fan base.

1) Dont you think the 18 players on the field have the responsibility to keep playing at 100% till the end??? we were up by 4 goals halfway thru last quarter - players dropped off 10% and we got run over by a very skilful Swans midfeild.
2) SCG is NOT a "tiny makeup ground" it is about 3% smaller than MCG
3) and the game plan as u crticise it blatantly was successful for 80% of the game..

It's not just a drop off though, it's a deliberate tactic to not score and save the lead force Swans into trying to grind the win out.

It's horrendous mindset coming from last year's attacking one.

There’s an unconscious and conscious bias

Umpires get caught up in the crowd noise and theatre especially with deliberate out of bounds .. unconscious bias
But the real issue here is the conscious bias where they have an agenda , they pick a team
50/50 ones constantly go against you , they let ones go they shouldn’t and they pay everything against you
The 50 metre penalty missed is beyond belief as a simple mistake
It’s happened so many times
Leigh fisher got st kilda home against us earlier in the year
Nicholls destroyed us in Fremantle and now tonight
There’s 3 and there’s other's this year also

Unbelievable
So disappointing

Terrible season

Put players in for surgery who need it

Play the kids and not as subs

Richards playing 30 seconds wtf fly !!??

Think Richards will take a trade now
It’s not Luke Ball 2010 levels where the coach is refusing to play Richards. If Richards leaves it won’t be because of this game and likely will be a financial offer to good to refuse.

Calmed down now and shaken off a very frustrating season. Look to the future from here on in. I guess the most disappointing thing for me as an old timer is I don’t find the game itself as enjoyable as I used to due to rule and interpretation changes seemingly every second week. But maybe it’s just age that sees me a bit jaded. I guess the AFL will never survey the people who support the game and provide all the atmosphere. The last two years Collingwood restored my love of the game with the way we played. It will take a bit of motivation to get me interested in the remainder of the season. It will still be Go Pies forever!!!!!

The standout, lopsided differential in all the stats was ........

you guessed it....

free kicks - Sydney had 66% of the frees

Nothing like this discrepancy in any of the other match stats

You said what we are all thinking. I think this season should tell us a few things about our group that should be acknowledged now and steps taken to refresh the list asap.

1. Many of our players look to be satisfied with the one premiership and are just not prepared to give 100% anymore.

This can mean that some cannot be relied upon to take us to our next premiership, so what do you do with them? I mean, we can't cut the heart out of the list but if the hunger is gone then we are just going to spin the wheels for a long while. We need to start replacing th eold and in with the new, start now, get more fresh blood in and start retiring a couple each year until we a ready for another tilt. Pendles is safe, but Sidey, Howe, Cox, WHE should be in the gun.

2. As a consequence of #1 we tried to "cheat" our way into the finals in 2024. I really think we tried to win games with the least amount of effort required just to sneak through protecting our old boys and trying to avoid more injuries which ironically tends to result in even more injuries (then flick the old switch in the finals), unfortunately we came up short too often.

3. The midfield does lack depth and new blood. It needs reinvigorating. It needs some depth to re-create the aggressive running. A couple of new additions to the mids is needed. We have no trade currency though so how do we do this?

4. The game plan is old, I am tired of it, you are tired of it and the players look tired of it. Let's go back to a forward press type style and create those turnovers closer to goal instead of giving away so much possession waiting and waiting for it to come back to us. Not only that the mental attitude to attack the game needs to return, no team can succeed without it.

5. A new fitness program or at least a damn honest review. Too many injuries this year to key players. Too many long term injuries, we can take the the 2 to 4 week injuries now and then but all these 6-8, 8-10 or longer injuries are back breaking for all concerned. Could any of these have been avoided? I don't know the answer but why was JDG not fit this season? How did McStay injure his knee in November, Mitchell all year, Elliott, Mihocek, Cox etc far too many whatever the case. Look at what we are doing in this space and is anyome accountable?

Alot of questions to answer in the off-season. We need to shake up the list starting now not later if we are going to contend asap. This is why giving away 1st round picks haphazardly is just unacceptable when you have no player currency to work with. We have a lot to do as I think this list has won its flag and looks cooked now.
100% best description of where we are at.
Great post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22 = Sydney 89-86 Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back