Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we focused purely on the losses? Like I said Brisbane got over a crippled Swans at home by 2 but they are this scary team?

But yeah ok we lost to Stkilda and Richmond. We also beat Carlton, Fremantle in perth, Geelong, GWS twice , Melbourne , Collingwood both fit at the time, Essendon, etc etc So why do we ignore all that?

Also why are we extra glum on the injuries?

You have effectively rubbed Rampe Papley and Mcinnerney out for 11 weeks each? Seems unlikely?

You can feel how you want about the loss don't get me wrong. Maybe we will fall to
shit but there is more evidence we are ok here.

In my experience, a knee injury that requires a brace for two weeks isn't a short term thing. Even if he somehow gets himself ready for the finals, surely it will be too big a risk to play him.

Rampe was out for ages the last time he injured a calf. Papley couldn't put any weight on the ankle. That's usually a bad sign.

We beat all those teams quite a while ago. I haven't seen any sign of that form being about to return. We've looked really average the last month. North Melbourne gave us a reprieve through being so shit, but otherwise it just hasn't been good enough.

In my experience, a knee injury that requires a brace for two weeks isn't a short term thing. Even if he somehow gets himself ready for the finals, surely it will be too big a risk to play him.

Rampe was out for ages the last time he injured a calf. Papley couldn't put any weight on the ankle. That's usually a bad sign.

We beat all those teams quite a while ago. I haven't seen any sign of that form being about to return. We've looked really average the last month. North Melbourne gave us a reprieve through being so shit, but otherwise it just hasn't been good enough.

PCLs are normally 2 - 6 weeks , If he can get back in a month why wouldn't he play?

Rampe and Papley we don't know yet.

Oh well maybe you are right, let's shut it down and play for draft picks

Last edited:

Rampe missed 2 games last year with a calf complaint. That was a low grade calf injury.

Rampe missed 2 games last year with a calf complaint. That was a low grade calf injury.

I think that was earlier this year. I'm pretty sure he missed a good chunk of last year with something or other. I thought it was a calf, but it may have been a hamstring.

I think that was earlier this year. I'm pretty sure he missed a good chunk of last year with something or other. I thought it was a calf, but it may have been a hamstring.
Hamstring was early in the 2023 season where he missed 4/5 weeks.
Calf was near the end of the season where he missed a couple.

History repeats again this year with hamstring (Tigers game) and calf issues. Age is probably catching up with him.

If they are out they are out anyway.

Just means guys get a chance, just don't want to lose players mid game- especially not multiple
Yep absolutely - much easier to have 23 to choose from on the day, and not 21 as we did for most of today.

Even with our missing blokes, something remotely near our best would be good enough to beat the fairypups. Just need to turn up early and get stuck in, and not give away another damn 4 or 5 early goals.

PCLa are normally 2 - 6 weeks , If he can get back in a month why wouldn't he play?

Rampe and Papley we don't know yet.

Oh well maybe you are right, let's shut it down and play for draft picks
It doesn't look like he'll be back in a month. He may be back in 6-7 weeks, by which time he'll be rusty af and in no condition to play a final.

But it's cool. We could just about cover for McInnerney, especially when Rowbottom comes back. Papley and Rampe present bigger challenges. We don't have anyone to naturally slot into Rampe's position. Fox may do at a pinch, but it's risky. Francis could come in, but is a clear downgrade. And you can't really replace Papley, especially if Hayward is hobbled as well. It's a worry.

And I'm not saying to shut anything down. I'm complaining because we've been a bit rubbish just lately. Too many excuses, not enough winning.

It doesn't look like he'll be back in a month. He may be back in 6-7 weeks, by which time he'll be rusty af and in no condition to play a final.

But it's cool. We could just about cover for McInnerney, especially when Rowbottom comes back. Papley and Rampe present bigger challenges. We don't have anyone to naturally slot into Rampe's position. Fox may do at a pinch, but it's risky. Francis could come in, but is a clear downgrade. And you can't really replace Papley, especially if Hayward is hobbled as well. It's a worry.

And I'm not saying to shut anything down. I'm complaining because we've been a bit rubbish just lately. Too many excuses, not enough winning.

Every team has gone through shit patches literally a kick away from having a perfect season to date.

I have been suggesting we shore up the defence for a long time now we just dont seem to make it a priority and hope McCartin/Rampe get through the year.

winning fixes all mate

Wish you'd post this much when we win. Then we never see you.:think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Break out game.
I hope so, we might be counting on him to play his role over the month or so. I'm not expecting him to win us games, but when we get beset by injury its an opportunity for players like Corey to do what we need them to do.

Wish you'd post this much when we win. Then we never see you.:think:

That 's not true. I've posted here all season. If you were looking, you would have seen me.

I probably do post more when we lose, but losses give you so much more to discuss. There's only so many ways to say "well done boys" after a win. Losing autopsies are always more lively.

Francis Hamling and Reid can all hold their own in defence , we have depth .
And if they can master the push in the back as Andrew’s has done, we will be cherry ripe

The worry with Florent is we can't afford both him and Blakey to be excessive turnover kings, which they both are at the moment. One or the other at any given time is fine - but when they are both in stinky decision mode, it hurts a lot. Blakey just needs to tone down the 'ultra risk' setting to 'calculated risk' and Ollie just needs to focus more on good decision making.
Florent needs to be dropped. What’s with defenders dragging the ball in and being caught holding the ball? The only situation when it’s warranted is if you’re outnumbered or milking the clock. He just let the lions get an easy goal. Poor skills and poor IQ.

Last edited:
It is odd, he doesn't even do much wrong with it, but if he is all over the ground getting it, maybe others aren't working hard ?
Was he the one that kicked the ball in the final minute Walter the lions behind? Kicked it to lions advantage and resulted in lions mark.
He doesn’t do much remarkable even when he is playing well. Basically a filler player in my eyes.

A lot depends from hereon on the injury prognoses for McInerney and Papley (and to a lesser extent Hayward). I’m assuming Rampe’s is just a calf that will take a few weeks.

Gawd I hate autocorrect that insists on inserting unwanted apostrophes…
You seem to have ended up with the right amount of apostrophes. I'd be more concerned that autocorrect let you write "hereon on" (hereon in).

Robbie Fox is a good AFL player.

But it seems whenever he’s heavily featured in POTY votes, it means we’ve lost.
Suggests he's very consistent, which he is.

Robbie is the sort of player who will carry us most of the way to a win, with our stars needing to shine brightly to take us that last mile

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2 point loss vs the Lions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back