List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like us to keep a 30+ pick, just for a 'project' player,

Say a forward (small/med/tall) or a 'not your typical' midfielder,

I know these picks are probably all booked up with Bruce, Delaney & Curren etc, but would like us to risk it with one of these later picks, that may just be the 'cream' when we challenge next for a flag,

Rahul, any thoughts on who might be worth something like this?

If we were to convince Bruce to walk to the PSD we would have pick 44 spare.
Maybe this could still be serviceable for that.

I know these picks are probably all booked up with Bruce, Delaney & Curren etc, but would like us to risk it with one of these later picks, that may just be the 'cream' when we challenge next for a flag,

We already have a player like that in Marksworth.

We already have a player like that in Marksworth.
Wouldn't hurt to have another. :thumbsu:

I like the idea. Maybe someone who's been playing on a flank who we think could transition into the midfield or the best key position player we think could turn into a key defender. Would rather that than keeping one or two we've already got.

Did WC cough up pick 6 too easily?

Pies pick 11, 31 and 49 for Eagles picks six and 44.
This to me seems to favour the Pies big time.
Jesse White to Pies is the icing on the cake.

Does kinda back up what people have been saying about the evenness of the draft from 5-20

The two slowest teams just played off in a grand final. I used to be a massive fan of pace but I'm starting to think its a little overrated. I think our future team has enough speed anyway.

But during the year Smith had some really good games, and Hill played a blinder in the GF. You don't need everyone to be fast, but another would be handy.

But during the year Smith had some really good games, and Hill played a blinder in the GF. You don't need everyone to be fast, but another would be handy.
I'm not saying don't have any quick players, but with Steven, Saunders, Wright, Murdoch, Curren, Stanley etc I think we're more than ok for pace and the focus should be on ball winning and class and not overlooking that just because they're slow.

Nah, pass.

Wouldn't hurt to have another. :thumbsu:

I like the idea. Maybe someone who's been playing on a flank who we think could transition into the midfield

Jack Billings? ;)

If we're gonna pass/miss on a genuine midfielder at 3 (Kelly/Aish), then I'd really like to get another highish draft pick in and get one. I feel uneasy burning pick 3 on someone who's not adapted to the midfield yet, especially if next year is the "KP draft". No doubt Billings has talent to burn, and I really do want him, but I'd also like someone at our disposable who we can put into the midfield straight away in addition to the inside bulls we'll likely get at 19/25. Like a Lewis Taylor, maybe Lennon (although he's a utility)?

I'm not saying don't have any quick players, but with Steven, Saunders, Wright, Murdoch, Curren, Stanley etc I think we're more than ok for pace and the focus should be on ball winning and class and not overlooking that just because they're slow.
I agree we have brought some pace in, which is exciting.

But the focus now should be on developing and recruiting elite ball users. Obviously, "best available" is the term of the draft period. But where there is doubt, we should be favouring great ball users. We have recruited some great young players who have "doubts" on their kicking. This doesn't always matter, but we need a few elite ball users if we are to challenge for a premiership. Each top team has 3 or 4 players you would class as "elite" and "safe" ball users.

I wouldn't mind taking the punt on Conlon with a late pick (If we had one) or the rookie draft if he gets into that.

Wont last to the rookie draft.

I think someone will take the punt before pick 40. Brisbane are a good bet with the group of picks they seem to be getting between 20 and 40 for their walking players. They might go for him with the 25 they are supposedly getting from us for Longer.

Looking at how this draft period will play out (or at least how we all expect it to), I've found myself quite often thinking "thank christ the Mitch Brown deal didn't go through last year!"

Send all cards and thank you notes to: Cale Hooker, c/o Essendon Football Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Kelly as the icing not the cake, which is makes him risky at 3. Just don't feel as confident. Would much prefer Aish or Billings. If we dont take Kelly I can see him sliding as far as Collingwood at 6, very unlikely but would would have thought Grundy would go that low last year.

I agree we have brought some pace in, which is exciting.

But the focus now should be on developing and recruiting elite ball users. Obviously, "best available" is the term of the draft period. But where there is doubt, we should be favouring great ball users. We have recruited some great young players who have "doubts" on their kicking. This doesn't always matter, but we need a few elite ball users if we are to challenge for a premiership. Each top team has 3 or 4 players you would class as "elite" and "safe" ball users.
Unless you're Hawthorn who had a team filled with them!

I think we've done ok the past couple of drafts with ball users. Webster, Murdoch, Ross, Newnes, Siposs, Dunell, Mini, Milera and there's a couple more are all pretty good kicks. No doubt it will continue to be a focus.

Aish had an ordinary year in a poorish SANFL, Kelly and Billings will be super stars. No way you look at Freeman or similar, the top 5 are Super talents, 9-10 out of 10 as juniors, the rest 6-7 out of 10. Theres no 8 out of 10's past the top 5. Hope that makes sense.

As far as Dunstan goes at any pick, he's a big no for me, ordinary player.

Aish had an ordinary year in a poorish SANFL, Kelly and Billings will be super stars. No way you look at Freeman or similar, the top 5 are Super talents, 9-10 out of 10 as juniors, the rest 6-7 out of 10. Theres no 8 out of 10's past the top 5. Hope that makes sense.
He was also just coming back from a shoulder reconstruction though.

As far as Dunstan goes at any pick, he's a big no for me, ordinary player.
You're confident that Billings will be able to transition into the midfield?

fisher staying
"GWS has certainly shown some interest in Sam along the way, but that's never materialised in anything concrete, so Sam will be staying with us" - Bains

You're confident that Billings will be able to transition into the midfield?
Of course, under age All Australian, played through there last year. Only reason he din't this year was because of his knee, he played big time school footy on ball this year, super star.
Stanley, Knightmare has Crouch as an elite player, I wouldn't take any notice of that, he needs to research his combine times, fat, slow, lazy, unfit.

Of course, under age All Australian, played through there last year. Only reason he din't this year was because of his knee, he played big time school footy on ball this year, super star.
Stanley, Knightmare has Crouch as an elite player, I wouldn't take any notice of that, he needs to research his combine times, fat, slow, lazy, unfit.
Good to hear. Been keen on him all year.

hopefully delaney a saint by tomorrow.

St Kilda list manager Ameet Bains told Melbourne radio station SEN on Monday morning that the Saints and Kangaroos had engaged in "really strong discussion" on Sunday and that a deal could be brokered as early as Monday afternoon.

Also looks like the Longer deal could drag out a little
The Saints are also hopeful of landing promising Brisbane Lions ruckman Billy Longer, and Bains said any deal was likely to take a few days, given the Lions are demanding "a high price". He didn’t dismiss the possibility of a shuffle of draft picks.

hopefully delaney a saint by tomorrow.

Also looks like the Longer deal could drag out a little

More concerned about the Bruce trade. Haven't heard much about it apart from the random poster who reckons it's a done deal (and jaxsons as well). If it really is Pick 41 for Bruce and 77 for Delaney then why is it taking so long...Was hoping to get up this morning and see 'BAM 2 trades done'. Alas. I guess I don't really have any idea what goes on in trade discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back