List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No love for Dustin Martin from 17 clubs, & i'm aware he's a bloody good footballer..
But fair dinkum if you've got half a brain, go on a bender with some low profile boys not Martin & Chips..!!
Armo's a good, solid player who gives nothing less than 110% on field, but is 26 next year..

Viv Michie get's a mention with the Saints..

ST KILDAThe Saints are open for business.
They are rebuilding and could shed several longtime servants in exchange for younger talent or high draft picks.
They have also signalled they would be willing to part with their first-round pick – No. 3 – but only if they receive an extraordinary offer.
Veteran midfielders Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna could be up for trade, along with defender Sam Fisher.
They desperately need key defenders, and unsuccessfully tried to get Collingwood back man Nathan Brown, after failing to lure his brother Mitch from West Coast last year.
Giants backman Josh Bruce is enthusiastic about a future with the Saints, while North Melbourne defender Luke Delaney is also on the radar. Fremantle midfielder Viv Michie might also come into calculations.
Last year St Kilda lost restricted free agent Brendon Goddard to Essendon. As compensation it received pick 13, which it wrapped up with picks 37 and 57 to get Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey and picks 24 (Nathan Wright) and 47.
The Saints also picked up Claremont forward Tom Lee, who was pre-listed by the Giants, and picks 25 and 46 in exchange for its first selection at No. 12; along with Swans speedster Trent Dennis-Lane for pick 47; ex-Eagle Jamie Cripps and pick 46 for selections 41 and 44; and former Dockers free agent Dylan Roberton. - BC

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-30/trade-preview-what-moves-could-your-club-make

Huh, I'm surprised they didnt just go with old "traded pick 13 for Hickey and traded pick 12 for Tom Lee". That said, hypothetically if we did pay pick 12 and only got Lee without those 2 other picks I wouldn't be upset, his finish to the year was excellent. Reminded me of Gunston, slotted them from all over the ground.

Very, um, clever!

But this is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. Does that mean they pay him for 10 games only? What if he plays 11 etc etc?

Never heard of it myself wich is why i just answered with childish humour :D
We dont have contracts like that in AFL do we??
Heard of that sort of thing in the A-League but not in our game.

You're not exactly flush with cash though. Dals contract is easily money you can be pumping into your football department etc to expedite the development of your youngsters.

There is little margin for underpaying on the salary cap. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all clubs have to pay 90-100% of the cap each year, under the agreement with the players association? No doubt the Saints like a number of clubs, including North are struggling with our collective deals for our home games. This will be improved by better equalisation policies from the AFL not trading Dal to North.

no point interviewing the kid if were no chance to get him
I can't believe you said that, we'd be no chance to get him, if we at least displayed some interest..
The noise all year is that we're going to be aggressive during the trade/FA period, or is it only a one way street..
Let's offload great clubmen like Dal & recruit players like Delaney..??
My perception of aggressive, is to at least target potential stars like Adams to our club & trade for early picks..
How unprofessional of the club to not at least interview him & provide a presentation to Adams..
We all know he can play & has just turned 20, & the last time i looked we won 4 out of 21 games this year..

Hi everyone,
I don't post often but I read the posts on this forum daily. I have read Brian Speaking's posts and after what I have just heard on SEN, I am worried about my beloved club. Marco said he had heard that the Saints are in dire financial trouble, so much so that they may not even be able to write a cheque for anything. He also said that he had heard from a reliable source that Roo is unhappy and collingwood think that he is gettable. I know some of you may say its all crap that and Marco knows nothing, but with a culmination of Finey's rant, the posts on here from what appears to be those in the know, Nettlefolds resignation, it's too much to just sweep under the rug, David Swartz also eluded to Water and other officials not being on the same page. I hope today's review helps to turn this all around.

There is little margin for underpaying on the salary cap. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all clubs have to pay 90-100% of the cap each year, under the agreement with the players association?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ough-for-minimum-payments-20130618-2ogwn.html

The $800,000 raised by North Melbourne at a special fund-raiser will enable the Roos to pay the minimum salary cap required under the AFL rules this year.

The club has confirmed that some of the money raised will be used to bring its total player payments up to the minimum of 95 per cent of the 2013 salary cap of $9.14 million.

Chief executive Carl Dilena confirmed the club was looking at a ''pre-payment'' - in effect, paying some players next year's wages - in order to bring the club's salary cap up to the minimum requirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh, I'm surprised they didnt just go with old "traded pick 13 for Hickey and traded pick 12 for Tom Lee". That said, hypothetically if we did pay pick 12 and only got Lee without those 2 other picks I wouldn't be upset, his finish to the year was excellent. Reminded me of Gunston, slotted them from all over the ground.
Both Lee & Hickey in 12 months will be regarded as justified trades, their last month left no doubt in my mind..

You're not exactly flush with cash though. Dals contract is easily money you can be pumping into your football department etc .

Moneys got nothing to do with it .
You get Dal , so we get to buy 3 new footys and a box of elastoplast bandaids . Thats a win win NOT!!!!!
Lets not squabble over wich of us is poorer , just offer us something good and fair and your club gets a good player and a top bloke .

Hi everyone,
I don't post oven but I read the posts on this forum daily. I have read Brian Speaking's posts and after what I have just heard on SEN, I am worried about my gel bed club. Marco said he had heard that the Saints are in dire financial trouble, so much so that they may not even be able to write a cheque for anything. He also said that he had heard from a reliable source that Too is unhappy and collingwood think that he is gettable. I know some of you may say its all crap that and Marco knows nothing, but with a culmination of Finey's rant, the posts on here from what appears to be those in the know, Nettlefolds resignation, it's too much to just sweep under the rug, David Swartz also eluded to Water and otr officials not being on the me page. I hope today's review helps to turn this all around.
FFS....!!!!
How much can us Long Term suffering fans swallow..
And is Too meant to be Roo, he's off to the Tiger's isn't he..??

Correct me if I've misunderstood how money works.

The club is not going to be able to say to the members "we traded out a favorite son close to 300 games as a one-club player because we needed the cash for other things".

If there is a very good trade available, particularly one that will help with our much stated need for key defenders, then it's pretty clear we'll look at it.

Salary cap space wouldn't appear relevant. Watters has said numerous times there is substantial capacity already (without shedding Dal's contract).

In any case, I'm not sure the guys are really that interested in debating economics with you.

Moneys got nothing to do with it .
You get Dal , so we get to buy 3 new footys and a box of elastoplast bandaids . Thats a win win NOT!!!!!
Lets not squabble over wich of us is poorer , just offer us something good and fair and your club gets a good player and a top bloke .

You got in first, and might have said it better too.

I can't believe you said that, we'd be no chance to get him, if we at least displayed some interest..

Agree Sheeza69 he fits our window for sure and midfield time at Saints would surely be higher than some of the other clubs mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back