List Mgmt. 2013 Trade / Draft / Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ike2112 Fantastic Post Great summary of where we are with picks.

Thanks. I realised it's complicated but I'd been keeping notes. It doesn't help when they add comp picks and it shifts the draft - they really need to figure out a better system that allows players freedom of movement but compensates clubs for developing them... but without screwing around with the draft.

I would love for us to work in Brisbanes pick 7 somehow with the longer deal without giving away pick 3

Daylight robbery you mean?

Taking the comments from scouts around the league into consideration, if the top 5 players are all about the same then after that there's a mix, then picks 6 through about 13 are actually being overvalued.
If we say players 6 to 20 are all ranked about the same across every club's draft projection, and are as likely to make it in the AFL as each other, then you would rather take them with picks in the mid-teens. Otherwise you might use pick 7 for example on a kid, and he ends up being one of the few in that group of 15 that bust. Picking at 19 and taking that same kid, or another who is a bust, is still a waste. But then you only wasted pick 19 - and you likely paid the kid less cash for 3 seasons too. However picking at 19 or 20 also would mean that pretty much every other club didn't want the player, and that must make you waver a little - do they know something you don't?
So I reckon the best area to be drafting is 13 and 14 - not too high a pick so as to be an expensive miss, but also not too late a pick so as to be selecting from the leftovers of the draft's better tier. Hence I wouldn't mind us forgetting about Longer and instead working into having picks 3, 12/13/14, and 18. We expected our Ruck situation for 2014 to be Hickey/Stanley/Jolly and whilst Longer is an exciting surprise opportunity, I don't think it should distract us. The aim is to do a 5yr rebuilt in 3yrs and that involves picking 3 new kids this year who will be good enough to play finals. Not picking 2 kids, or only 1, and getting a prime ruckman. The aim is that our 2016 finals team will include Savage plus the 3 youngsters we get, and Hickey will be our ruck. If we get Longer but then are left with only pick 3 in the top 20, then our 2016 team will be Savage plus our 1 draft pick and Longer instead of Hickey. It doesn't really help the rebuild plan.

I agree with you Ike, but one of Scharenburg or Aish could be available at 7, especially with the rumours that Bontempelli and/or Kolodjashnij should be top 5.

montagna and fisher for pick 2 i could live with.

As tough as this call would be for the club and supporters I can see merit in it.
Likely to be no FA compo next year so Monty is free to walk for nothing if he wishes.
Chips could yet go this week anyway.
Does leave a big hole in leadership though....

Interesting. So he's not a very good reader of play hence why he doesn't get the ball much?
He does get the footy, but he isn't really a ball winner and is probably his TAC Cup side's 3rd best pure mid. Should be pick 9.

my man kardashian is getting further from our reach around the top 7 mark.
Gold Coast are interested, KK will be at pick 5 in my next mock update.

I think you are correct with Roo. I would be surprised if he went on beyond this year.

Lenny has made it clear that he will be playing every game unless injured. he is not interested in doing what Kosi did and playing for Sandy. Of course he will help the young blokes but he wont simply make up the numbers. He will retire if that happens.

Fish - who knows

more likely Lenny will just be rested and not playing for Sandy. Totally different to Kosi. Kosi just wasn't good enough any more..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting games into Roberton, Simpkin, Wright and Webster is crucial IMO. Sure, Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert might be too good for VFL, but that is the stage we are at in our list. If we want to reap the rewards in a few years time, the foundations must be laid now. I do think that Delaney and Bruce will need help, so Dempster plus one of the other experienced third backs should play but that would be an absolute maximum IMO. The only reason we could fit all of Gilbo, Gwilt, Fisher, Dempster and Simpkin/Roberton over the last two years is because we have had no KPDs. Now that it looks like we will have two, the sad reality is that some players who deserve to play AFL football will have to be pushed out to the seconds.

It's the same deal in the midfield. Jones is still in our best 22, but our new draftees and current young midfielders will at times get games ahead of him. It's just where we are at. If it means we are slightly less competitive, that is the price we have to pay. Say this is tanking, say it's immoral, but if we are to improve in the next five years, young players must be given responsibility.

It is neither - all clubs must play kids and develop them. Very few kids are better than the guy they pushed out (in their first match). No club can say they have never given a kid a go despite a more mature player being available who was capable of a greater immediate impact. Development is an essential part of team dynamics.

more likely Lenny will just be rested and not playing for Sandy. Totally different to Kosi. Kosi just wasn't good enough any more..

I think you're right. hopefully they dont bring him back early from a calf like this year!!

With fisher staying how will our backline line up with Delaney, Bruce and fisher?

Delaney - FB
Bruce - CHB
Fisher - HBF ala 2009/2010.

Rahul with all that's been written about freeman - why is he such a risk at pick 3?
Freeman at 3 is a risk because picking him is a little speculative as to what he could become.. Pick 3 you generally expect to get someone that has elite traits, looks a sure thing and already has a high level of consistency.. Freeman has that ready made big type body and has explosiveness that is drawing comparisons to Dangerfield, so if he turns out like that then of course he is well worth pick 3, but its a very big IF.. Freeman with his explosive pace along with Bontempelli and his sheer size are 2 who may well end up years down the track as 2 of the best from this draft as they look to have a point of difference to that of others, but I think clubs picking them will be picking them for not what they have done already but what they may become and that can be risky at picks in the top 3-4.. Melb due to their past failures at the draft table and apparently very keen on Freeman I think made a very smart trade. Getting Tyson along with pick 9 where it may well be possible they still land Freeman was a very astute trade.. If he ends up a bust at 9 it will be less frowned upon than if they selected him at 2 which seems way too high for him.. In saying that, GWS are probably in a totally different situation, where they have so much young talent, albeit starting to lose some ( Adams, Tyson) to take the calculated risk for high reward of a Freeman or Bontempelli if they are that way inclined.. It helps when you have the security of picking Boyd 1 pick beforehand too I guess..

Hopefully we get the delanely,bruce & longer deals done asap or at least by Wednesday...none of this Friday 2pm deadline crap.This process has be so long and frustrating even for a patient person like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back