• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
When is the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Wednesday, June 2, in the week following round 11. Nominations for eligible players opens at 9am AEST on Monday, May 10 and close at 5pm AEST on Tuesday, May 25.

Watch all the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft picks LIVE and EXCLUSIVE on AFL.com.au
and the AFL Live Official App from 6.30pm AEST on Wednesday, June 2

Nicks today saying if the right player is there we may have up to 3 picks
In the mid season draft

he mentioned small forward role and quick midfielder as options they were focusing on

no mention of ruck

Last edited by a moderator:

I literally posted just yesterday on our need for run and carry from defence, but Ogilvie has noted he can play further up the ground.

I can only imagine that Hamish sees someone else more promising in the next draft (or two) in terms of Rucks.

Like this selection a lot, definitely gives off Caleb Daniel vibes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dunno if I saw Caleb Daniel there. Just seemed like a blank slate to me. Bit on the small side, but ultimately, anyone who can run and execute their skills well won't have trouble finding a niche in our (or any) side. I'm also decently confident on a high ceiling just because he's not physically developed at all. I dunno if he even ends up a defender once all is said and done due to that.

Last edited:
Dunno if I saw Caleb Daniel vibes there. Just seemed like a blank slate to me. Bit on the small side, but ultimately, anyone who can run and execute their skills well won't have trouble finding a niche in our (or any) side. I'm also decently confident on a high ceiling just because he's not physically developed at all. I dunno if he even ends up a defender once all is said and done due to that.

He looks like a young Laird without the loopy kick.

He looks like a young Laird without the loopy kick.

giphy.gif

Now you've got me interested

Feel for Davis that relocated to SA thinking he was a chance of being drafted by us tonight
We need to pick who we think is the best option.

Davis can still put in a good season & get drafted next season... perhaps a rookie option.

Feel for Davis that relocated to SA thinking he was a chance of being drafted by us tonight

He is VERY unlikely to have been told he’d be picked up in the MSD after only playing 2 -3 games for our SANFL teams. He’s probably done what a lot of Tassie boys do and has gone to ply his trade in a more competitive league to get noticed. Crows may look to draft him at the end of the year if he looks the goods, although so might any other team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Riley Knight and Stengle go undrafted
Hardly surprising in Knight's case wanting 18 months rather than uprooting his life for 6 months on an outside chance.

Pretty obvious there was a lot more behind the scenes with Strengle for Port to go Jed McEntee in preference and no other interest at all from AFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He relocated to play at a higher level. He's vastly better off playing with us than in the Tassie league.

I never understood why people thought we'd made a promise. "We'd like to draft you, but only if you come okay in our SANFL team first."

If we were determined to draft him, we would have been better keeping him in Tasmania. Instead, we've offered him a different opportunity.

He put a 18 month contract on himself. Don't think many teams would lock him in for next year at this point, pick him up in the rookie draft if you have a spot and need next year. He's not so good you'd be devo if you missed him here.

Yep, looks like it backfired on him.

I don't mind us not picking for needs. You do that if you're looking to win the flag this year, which we're obviously not.

Instead, you just pick whoever you think is the biggest chance to be a diamond in the rough. Let's face it, most of these kids have already been overlooked or delisted at least once. The odds on them being stars is minute.

If we pick for needs, chances are higher that we just end up with a mediocre player who needs to be replaced anyway.

I’m guessing we’ve told him that we’ll rookie draft him later this year

Why so, genuinely interested

I'm spoilt. We got the second or third bloke available I'd have wanted.

Ruck is a weakness at the club - they take 3-4 years to develop, so you kind of want to begin now identifying and developing a player to eventually pair with ROB when he's 29-30 and hopefully succeed him shortly after, all the while backing him up. We know Strachan isn't it, Frampton isn't it. So we're exposed.

Moyle looks every bit a ruckman with a great chance of developing into a line leader eventually. Always a risk, but he seemed as good as we'd get for effectively free. We had the chance and passed it.

Parnell's good. It's a good pick. We've got a lot of young-ish small defenders, but that's a versatile enough role and a lot of our small defenders are shit. And his tools probably mean he could do a Lachie Murphy and become a forward mozzie if needed anyway. I just would have liked the ruck security.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Mid season draft (June 2nd)

Back