Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We obviously knocked it out the park. We could have been ruthless but we we were fair and reasonable as we always are. My point is we will overpay for Barrass and that is a massive risk given his age and injury history.
I think whatever we pay, you'll say we overpaid regardless of what it actually is. You've made it quite clear you don't think it's worth us bringing in Barrass.
I think you're wrong. Let it go.

I think whatever we pay, you'll say we overpaid regardless of what it actually is. You've made it quite clear you don't think it's worth us bringing in Barrass.
I think you're wrong. Let it go.
Barrass for a pick in the 18-25 range is fair. You could live with pick 14-17.
Two first rounders would be a disaster and a top 12 pick would be a huge risk.

Yep- why everyone has just decided it’s a given that a 30 year old is worth a 1st has got me stuffed…
West coast will be wrapped to have a big contract for an aging, injury prone player that won’t be a part of their next tilt off their books and we’re gonna hand them a 1st rounder + maybe more for their trouble…
They’ll be laughing all the way to the bank… its on par with Norf giving up 1st rd picks for a cooked Jonathan Hay and Nathan Thompson…
I’d just be bringing in Battle for free to keep Weddle out of the backline and using our 1st on a key defender to develop behind Frost/Blanck who are very capable right now…
I've mentioned many times that I think everyone is going to be surprised what the trade actually ends up being. Someone yesterday I think mentioned that a what we give up will depend on how much of his contract we take. We'll obviously be taking all of it because we'll be renegotiating his contract. This is the whole reason he is disgruntled in the first place so I guess we'll see what we have to give up in the trad period. First things first he needs to officially flag his intentions to want to come to us.

I've mentioned many times that I think everyone is going to be surprised what the trade actually ends up being. Someone yesterday I think mentioned that a what we give up will depend on how much of his contract we take. We'll obviously be taking all of it because we'll be renegotiating his contract. This is the whole reason he is disgruntled in the first place so I guess we'll see what we have to give up in the trad period. First things first he needs to officially flag his intentions to want to come to us.
Not sure that he will do that publicly incase it falls through and he stays.
Lake never came out and said make me a Hawk.

Eagles might want a player(s) that can play now along with whatever draft collateral we have to give up. If we end up securing Barrass + Battle with McCabe waiting in the wings he might be one along with others like DGB that might see the writing on the wall. As mentioned earlier Reeves could be another candidate.

Petracca ain't leaving , still 5 years on huge $$$$.

Most likely is over the off field stuff going on there so his manager has released this to force the Dee's to start making changes
Clearly his manager rattling the cage a bit. Dees will get rid of their coaching department before Trac.

Barrass for a pick in the 18-25 range is fair. You could live with pick 14-17.
Two first rounders would be a disaster and a top 12 pick would be a huge risk.
Who ever said two first rounders? The sycophant WA journo is about it.
Most think a first and either a swap of later picks or a player will get it done.

Not sure that he will do that publicly incase it falls through and he stays.
Lake never came out and said make me a Hawk.
Publicly no, not until trade week begins anyway.
Privately though, most at WC now know he'd prefer to leave and come to us. Various committee members and the coach are aware.

Come and join the party, Harley!

Honestly, if the chance to get him arises, just get it done.

GS67m7ebwAASWmW
Messenger_creation_f62b3b99-f38d-4349-9fac-bb538b50727f.jpeg

There are going to be some serious complaints in here when the trade gets done

things we will see in here that wont happen

• I hope they have a limit and walk away if they ask for more (Hawthorn dont do that)
  • a second rounder and DGB nothing more (will take the first rounder to even start the conversation)
  • something coming back (unless Hawthorn offer two firsts which I cant see them doing I dont think there will be anything coming back)

People see guys like me saying things like this and get really defensive and say that I am undervaluing our side or over valuing their side but it actually isnt about anything like that.

We in here are saying he is injury prone, the club would have already done a medical on him if there is a 5 year offer on the table even if it is incentive based towards the end. He isnt 30, he is younger than Sicily, I wouldn't be giving up two firsts but I could definitely see it being this years first and next years second and not only that I could see it taking a while to get done while West Coast try and get as much blood out of the stone as possible. Could see there being a later swap of picks too.

I can also see where others are coming from thinking oh this player was traded in the past for nothing so why would this be any different. Mostly this was said about Tom Mitchell and what I would say on that is this...yes he is a Brownlow medalist, yes was only recently seen as one of the best inside mids in the competition, however, midfielders are more common, Hawthorn were pushing him out the door to give opportunity to other, younger players and to show they were they took next to nothing back and paid some salary. West Coast might very well be attempting the same thing, however, key defenders of this level dont become available very often. They are normally signed up by their team with the main ones to move teams recently being May and Lever who were part of the Dees winning a flag.

The reality of the situation is, if it was Sicily leaving Hawthorn we would all be demanding two first rounders. His back issue should limit that a bit but talking ourselves into thinking it will only be a late first or Hawthorn walk away is setting yourself up for disappointment

Watching the Battle interview after the game on the weekend, my wife who is a self appointed body language expert reckons he is 100% gone.

He was unable to keep eye contact with the interviewer when asked about if he was staying or going.

85% of the time she is correct :cool:
Women are more astute about these things methinks. Men would probably be correct about this 15% of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass would be a huge get. Watching Box Hill regularly, I think we are still a bit light on backup in some areas so giving up a top 10'ish pick worries me. We have a problem coming with a few players who are not getting regular game time contracted beyond 2024. If we could offer some players rather than our first rounder would certainly suit us. Do we have enough to secure Barrass?

Seamus Mitchell and Baily MacDonald, or maybe Henry Hustwaite, and a lower pick for Barrass ?

There are going to be some serious complaints in here when the trade gets done

things we will see in here that wont happen

• I hope they have a limit and walk away if they ask for more (Hawthorn dont do that)
  • a second rounder and DGB nothing more (will take the first rounder to even start the conversation)
  • something coming back (unless Hawthorn offer two firsts which I cant see them doing I dont think there will be anything coming back)

People see guys like me saying things like this and get really defensive and say that I am undervaluing our side or over valuing their side but it actually isnt about anything like that.

We in here are saying he is injury prone, the club would have already done a medical on him if there is a 5 year offer on the table even if it is incentive based towards the end. He isnt 30, he is younger than Sicily, I wouldn't be giving up two firsts but I could definitely see it being this years first and next years second and not only that I could see it taking a while to get done while West Coast try and get as much blood out of the stone as possible. Could see there being a later swap of picks too.

I can also see where others are coming from thinking oh this player was traded in the past for nothing so why would this be any different. Mostly this was said about Tom Mitchell and what I would say on that is this...yes he is a Brownlow medalist, yes was only recently seen as one of the best inside mids in the competition, however, midfielders are more common, Hawthorn were pushing him out the door to give opportunity to other, younger players and to show they were they took next to nothing back and paid some salary. West Coast might very well be attempting the same thing, however, key defenders of this level dont become available very often. They are normally signed up by their team with the main ones to move teams recently being May and Lever who were part of the Dees winning a flag.

The reality of the situation is, if it was Sicily leaving Hawthorn we would all be demanding two first rounders. His back issue should limit that a bit but talking ourselves into thinking it will only be a late first or Hawthorn walk away is setting yourself up for disappointment
Pretty much.

Barrass would be a huge get. Watching Box Hill regularly, I think we are still a bit light on backup in some areas so giving up a top 10'ish pick worries me. We have a problem coming with a few players who are not getting regular game time contracted beyond 2024. If we could offer some players rather than our first rounder would certainly suit us. Do we have enough to secure Barrass?

Seamus Mitchell and Baily MacDonald, or maybe Henry Hustwaite, and a lower pick for Barrass ?
Those players would need to agree and West Coast would need to want to fill empty roster spots with guys currently not getting AFL games

cant see both lining up, there isnt a way that Hawthorn walk away after the trade period with Barrass and any other traded in guys plus their first rounder

Watching the Battle interview after the game on the weekend, my wife who is a self appointed body language expert reckons he is 100% gone.

He was unable to keep eye contact with the interviewer when asked about if he was staying or going.

85% of the time she is correct :cool:

What a sh*tty question to be asking him in the Saints locker room right after the game. What the heck is he supposed to say? Battle (as he looks around to see if anyone is listening) and then proceeds to whisper 'I can't fooking wait to get out of here to join the club I supported as a child so I can take awesome selfies and top notch goal celebrations' 😂😂😂

I did laugh how he mentioned that Ross was like a father figure. Classic.

Has English extension been announced yet? I hear good mail the Crows are up to their ears in him, apparently ROB may be taking time away for Medical studies. If that happens, could we throw Reeves into discussions for Baz? If it doesnt go through, who would we like from the Crows? :)

I reckon there must be times when Bevo must think “i can’t believe we are paying English as much as we are”

History says if they haven’t signed on by now then they are more likely gone but If I am a Saints supporter and listening to that I am thinking he is staying.

He is very strong in his praise for the Saints, working with the youngsters and talks about Ross as a father figure. He knows he is not playing Finals so why go to those lengths????

Surely you would cut Mitch off and just say, “I have a big decision coming up around my future and at this stage I am undecided and need some time to sit down and think it all through”

I reckon he is leaning towards staying

So your source has flipped
One would assume that the info that TD received was floated to take the heat off of Battle having to answer the questions that he has to now for the next 2-3 weeks. Hopefully more comes to light if / when he nominates us. Either way hopefully it just gets done unlike past free agency periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back