Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 20 - Blues v Port Fri July 26th 7:40pm AEST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 34.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie has been OK but agree he needs a spell, just a young player

His brother was the same early on

Binns had like 47 and 3 and didn’t get selected, surely you reward that performance and give him a crack with Acres out

Bang on with Cerra, he’s also uncompetitive aerially - needs to play on ball or not at all really

If you are going to try Cerra anywhere else why not half forward anyway he is a decent set shot anyway. Cannot believe Binns didn’t play I mean sure we all feel for Cunningham but he’s as injury prone as can be it’s hardly some surprise he left the side 1 man down again

As far as I can tell, Carlton are the only team to be scheduled for a 5 day break all season outside of Thursday matches (where it is unavoidable). The only other scheduled instance is the Bulldogs next Friday (vs Melbourne). Obviously a bit of bad luck this time around to have 4 injuries last week and one in the first quarter tonight too.

But that takes a fair bit away from Port who were very good after half time. Made the adjustments necessary to cover Curnow properly, tackled and pressured a tired opponent and converted their chances down the stretch.

The fixturing is stupid and frustrating in a very close season (mostly because it is so unnecessary - there's a heap of other games that could have been tonight and not required anyone to have a 5 day break), but only one of many AFL stupidities
Just imagine if you hardly ever had to leave Melbourne……..oh wait ?!

Last edited:

Losing runners, 5 day breaks, no petrol tickets, no big H, no Sam Docherty this that and the other. It's never had anything to do with these things. I've mentioned it multiple times in blues threads before - simply put you guys do not have anything that resembles a sufficient gameplan, even when results go your way. It's either make it up as you go randomness, or most the time it just reverts to going down the line on the bench side of the ground, kick long and hope for the best. The last grade of footy that should be picking a specific side of the ground to predominantly play is under 14s level.

You guys are either coached poorly, or your players simply do not have the physical or mental ability to execute a plan. Or maybe it's a mixture of both. But it's plain as day obvious to see. Was the same 3 years ago and it's the same today, every time Carlton get the ball in their back half I genuinely have no idea what they're going to do with it in an attempt to move the ball up the ground. Every single elite team for as long as I can remember has always had a distinct pattern which they would execute to a high level. Carlton have 0 system or method. The other very obvious thing is you have a batch of around 10 players who choose to only get involved when you have momentum.

And I feel like the Carlton fanbase fails to grasp this because it's been so long since they've been good that they don't really know what a good system looks like.
They do have one very distinct strategy that sets them apart from the pack
It’s called ……..

#FREEK#FREEKICKCURNOW]

When I saw Curnow had 5 free kicks I assumed he kicked a bag and a half.

Dunstall only got 5 frees once in his entire career. He took 18 marks and kicked 17 goals that game.

I guess Hawks are ed next week. AFL will need to go full ** to ensure the Blues stay top 4.
They have Collingwood next week. If they win on Sunday, the AFL will have no idea what to do, secure Carlton top 4 or try and get Collingwood back into the 8

steve buscemi people to kill GIF

the carlton FC and being hyped up by the Victorian media
Name a more iconic duo
Essendon Flying in pre-season surely has it covered
Heppel spoke to the players and they're really going to respond.... no truly they are
Stringer the dynamic forward who can move into the midfield and be an explosive clearance beast

every year

Port easily.

We wont be competitive without H and Tom while the the witches hat Pittonet starts at ruck.

Walsh also under a massive injury cloud and if you aint healthy at this time of year you aint winning.

Hinkley to get another contract after tonights win? 🤷‍♀️🤩

Port win inc. Lewis Young up forward is gonna be a sight
Yep.

Losing runners, 5 day breaks, no petrol tickets, no big H, no Sam Docherty this that and the other. It's never had anything to do with these things. I've mentioned it multiple times in blues threads before - simply put you guys do not have anything that resembles a sufficient gameplan, even when results go your way. It's either make it up as you go randomness, or most the time it just reverts to going down the line on the bench side of the ground, kick long and hope for the best. The last grade of footy that should be picking a specific side of the ground to predominantly play is under 14s level.

You guys are either coached poorly, or your players simply do not have the physical or mental ability to execute a plan. Or maybe it's a mixture of both. But it's plain as day obvious to see. Was the same 3 years ago and it's the same today, every time Carlton get the ball in their back half I genuinely have no idea what they're going to do with it in an attempt to move the ball up the ground. Every single elite team for as long as I can remember has always had a distinct pattern which they would execute to a high level. Carlton have 0 system or method. The other very obvious thing is you have a batch of around 10 players who choose to only get involved when you have momentum.

And I feel like the Carlton fanbase fails to grasp this because it's been so long since they've been good that they don't really know what a good system looks like.
Yes its the garbage we played for about 4 or 5 years, before we decided to bring good kicks into the team. and we revert back to it when our midfield and half backs get shut down. Voss learnt from the best.

TDK is a huge out. It's obviously not as simple as this but they have a winning record with him as solo ruck and a losing record with Pittonet.

Acres was a big blow too, very important to how Carlton setup. Slumping at the pointy end after a powerful mid season run, but they have another month to fix things before finals.

If you are going to try Cerra anywhere else why not half forward anyway he is a decent set shot anyway. Cannot believe Binns didn’t play I mean sure we all feel for Cunningham but he’s as injury prone as can be it’s hardly some surprise he left the side 1 man down again
So we bring in Binns, then what?

He's even lighter than Ollie Hollands, who's been struggling physically most of this season. He would've been ragdolled and probably even less effective. Dow dominated the VFL last year and wasn't much chop when sent into the starting side. Binns isn't physically ready yet and has less of a defensive side than some of our less defensive players. Maybe in a game where we could afford to rest players, but that seems unlikely now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol

Last 4 weeks 1-3.

At what stage do we stolen pretending this ordinary Carlton team are anything than pretenders again?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Caton have the best defender in the comp.
The best forward in the comp.
The best midfielder in the comp.
The best tagger in the comp.

I feel they should be better than they are.

Something just seems amiss with them.

Last edited:
Lol

Last 4 weeks 1-3.

At what stage do we stolen pretending this ordinary Carlton team are anything than pretenders again?

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Dogs did this in 2021, out of form end of H&A. Fell to fifth. Still made the GF regardless of the result. Can voss deal with it though? Not sure.

It's also Carlton's only 5 day break of the year though, and both games were in Melbourne. Brisbane played off a 5 day break and had to travel for the second game. Four teams have two 5 day breaks.
We played Port earlier in the year in Adelaide off a 5 day break

Complaints about the 5 day break are f*cking hilarious given Carlton played at Marvel last week against North and haven’t left Melbourne for a month, while Port were in Adelaide last week (albeit not a huge flight) and were up at GC the week before.
They played Essendon after playing on a Thursday night, Essendon then played a Sunday twilight game on the Gold Coast and got back into Melbourne on Monday morning,
Short memories.

If there is a system, it is an incredibly taxing one. And it requires mental fortitude to pull it off. Look at our game vs Geelong, when it clicks, it's beautiful to watch. But being 10% off it falls apart, especially if key players are out. If I have to fault the coaching staff for anything, it's that they are too stubborn and are not reactive enough to change. Or in this game, for example, move Cincotta away from Butters in the 3rd quarter when he was well-contained. But no, someone in the coaching camp decides to move him on Rozee. We move him back on Butters late in the 4th but the damage is already done.

I think Voss needs good tactical assistants to take the next step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 20 - Blues v Port Fri July 26th 7:40pm AEST (Marvel)

Back