Autopsy And we are into another Granny! comprehensive 36 point win over Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was outstanding, didnt miss a beat last night, some great interceptions

Apart from his indecisiveness under pressure of course. He had some good moments but outstanding is a bit strong.

Lock down JHF and we win! What a game, all class!

Tbh he is some player.

Incredibly hard working and never gives up on the ball.

I want to say a lot of different things about last night - just random observations. such as how late so many turned up even when the national anthem was on the members, noble and Bradman looked at best half full but at bounce was so full, how Grundy just gets destroyed in first quarters and has got to find a way not to give free kicks, how the dj seems to love playing until the ball is bounced and sometimes even then is still spinning those discs, how much I like having mcinerney in the team for his run (which is clearly hampered) and delivery, how one of the absolute great things about being at the scg is the sheer amount of red and white - it’s just everywhere, how when we can force turnovers we look like we can score at will but we really do have to halve the contest work at least, how despite some ridiculous umpiring in the first the umpires managed to find some equally soft ones our way in the last to make the umpiring seem less shocking than what it was, how good heeney is and how clever the team was at realising when Burgoyne was on him they should just go to him, how kicking to allir did make me realise that maybe port won the hickey allir west coast trade cycle but I’m not unhappy that we got rj and despite what he brings I don’t really mind the trade, how much joy the swans give me no matter how stressed I am on game day and how little productive work I will get done this week.

Go bloods. Kudos to horse who I think is a terrific manager and kudos to tom Harley and others for having the pieces in place to keep having a shy at the stumps

Let’s go

Missing a couple important players back there hurt them.
Houston & Farrell.
When we played them we were missing Ramps & Melican & fell to pieces.

The Cats or Brisbane next week away from the SCG means we will have to go up in intensity by 100% & do it for 4 quarters. Just as we did in 2005 & 2012.
Part of winning is being able to have your best team on the field. Everything is finely balanced, and a key injury or two can have a disproportionate impact. It’s why you end up with hard luck stories at GF time- because you want good players as backup. We probably would still have beaten Port with Houston and Farrell, but it would have been a closer and better game.
I don’t get the Ken Hinkley hate. 14 other teams would like to be where he is. He defends his players and was gracious and realistic post match. They’re not Essendon, Carlton or North.

Tbh he is some player.

Incredibly hard working and never gives up on the ball.

I want to say a lot of different things about last night - just random observations. such as how late so many turned up even when the national anthem was on the members, noble and Bradman looked at best half full but at bounce was so full, how Grundy just gets destroyed in first quarters and has got to find a way not to give free kicks, how the dj seems to love playing until the ball is bounced and sometimes even then is still spinning those discs, how much I like having mcinerney in the team for his run (which is clearly hampered) and delivery, how one of the absolute great things about being at the scg is the sheer amount of red and white - it’s just everywhere, how when we can force turnovers we look like we can score at will but we really do have to halve the contest work at least, how despite some ridiculous umpiring in the first the umpires managed to find some equally soft ones our way in the last to make the umpiring seem less shocking than what it was, how good heeney is and how clever the team was at realising when Burgoyne was on him they should just go to him, how kicking to allir did make me realise that maybe port won the hickey allir west coast trade cycle but I’m not unhappy that we got rj and despite what he brings I don’t really mind the trade, how much joy the swans give me no matter how stressed I am on game day and how little productive work I will get done this week.

Go bloods. Kudos to horse who I think is a terrific manager and kudos to tom Harley and others for having the pieces in place to keep having a shy at the stumps

Let’s go

People were still getting food and drinks in the members, no need to rush when you have a set seat.

I am confused about AFL Stats. How can you have a 53% Inside 50 Efficiency rating when you kick more points than goals? Doesn't that count? Our efficiency rating was 50%, yet we kicked more goals than points. I know kicks inside 50 count. But we were better there too. They just bombed it long & we cleared. Very confusing. The Free Kicks are another one. I think they stack the Frees. Forget to put a few down when they start to look a bit one sided. I counted at least 3 Port free kicks in the third but the official Free Kick Count had them one? How does that work? I think sometimes stats can be misleading. For instance, clearances. Clearances are counted whether you get the ball out cleanly or lose the ball. If you lose it, it is called a secondary clearance & if the opposition take it away then that clearance is negated. But the commentators were raving about Port getting clearance even when the numbers were a bit stacked. T

hey then wasted the ball by bombing long to a past it veteran, who should not have played. Melly & McCartin killed their tall opponents. Our backs were superb & waiting for Port to do just what they did. Winning contested ball is only good if you are not pressured into mistakes. You have to have outside run to back up the contested win. We had it when we got contested ball but they were shut down by intercept players who knew just what they were going to do. We then played the outside game by precise kicking & fast handball to keep the ball moving. Thy had no answer for that. In fact you could see Horne_Francis & one or two others drop off once they turned the ball over. He loves to attack but will not defend. Butters the same at times.

I think some of our unheralded players really should be mentioned. Melican was superb & gave Dixon a footy lesson. McCartin marked everything. Harry was super & bet Rioli. Roberts set the play up time & time again. Ollie was fantastic. I know Jake Lloyd does not get much love here but boy oh boy i he an effing great player. In the Qualifying Final he was super & again last night he was steady & saved the day so many times on the wing. His ability to make a contest out of nothing was incredible. I remember one in the third where he was way off out on the wing & the Port player looked to have an easy mark. Lloydy burned in and spoiled him & negated the ball for a throw in. Super. Amartey & McDonald were just unbelievable. McLean was wonderful. They had no answer for our talls.

I always get very nervous in the big games. I was really having anxiety attacks until quarter time. Then I could see we were ON

People were still getting food and drinks in the members, no need to rush when you have a set seat.
I think a lot of those frees against Grundy were not there. Two players wrestling for control & they pluck a free out. Eff me! They do it because Grundy innitiates contact. He has to do that because he is giving away over 5CM in height. Sweet is 208cm.

I think a lot of those frees against Grundy were not there. Two players wrestling for control & they pluck a free out. Eff me! They do it because Grundy innitiates contact. He has to do that because he is giving away over 5CM in height. Sweet is 208cm.

Did you mean to quote me?

Even afl.com mentioned the umpiring:

“The Power opened the scoring with a goal to Jase Burgoyne from the first of several contentious free kicks, but were soon overrun as Sydney swarmed around the contests and got its slingshot firing out of defence.”

I really wish the umpires would take a cue from the NRL and put the whistle away in finals. There were so many ridiculously soft and inconsistent frees given. You know how to stop being inconsistent? Stop blowing the whistle so damn often!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just random observations. such as how late so many turned up even when the national anthem was on the members, noble and Bradman looked at best half full but at bounce was so full
Qantas cancelled a few flights from Adelaide the morning of... I know port supporters who only landed in Sydney at like 5:45-6pm... They didn't make it to the ground until half way through the 1st qtr I think.

“The Power opened the scoring with a goal to Jase Burgoyne from the first of several contentious free kicks, but were soon overrun as Sydney swarmed around the contests and got its slingshot firing out of defence.”

I really wish the umpires would take a cue from the NRL and put the whistle away in finals. There were so many ridiculously soft and inconsistent frees given. You know how to stop being inconsistent? Stop blowing the whistle so damn often!

Watching the highlights this morning it was there, he just puts a shoulder almost into Burgoyne's head entirely needlessly.

So much of the poor umpiring was BECAUSE they put it away - e.g. the play on off the mark late that Rampe tried to stop by stepping off the mark was either play on or 50, McLean's goal came after a push in the back then a non-call on a potential HTB both ignored. Port kicked a goal to keep them alive because of a non-throw call on Narkle. All examples where the 'put the whistle away' doesn't actually help.

Qantas cancelled a few flights from Adelaide the morning of... I know port supporters who only landed in Sydney at like 5:45-6pm... They didn't make it to the ground until half way through the 1st qtr I think.

Not sure that had much impact on that particular stand. Port cheersquad were all there pre-game.

We can't play with 3 talls

Amartey has been useless, he should be dropped

Jmac is clearly injured, put him out for the season

Campbell should be the sub, he cannot impact a whole game

Am I doing this right?
I haven’t changed my mind on the three talls fwiw (obv nothing).

We had three or even four talls that were better than our current ones on paper (Goodes Reid buddy and Tippett) in 2014 and they cut north up in the prelim but weren’t great gf day at the mcg

But there’s no point undoing it now. And they did a great job last night - good separation and we didn’t need too many down the line bombs - and McLean did mark a few of them in any case

Ball movement from defence was great and the mids usually kept it going forward.

And of course the most underrated stat in the game - kicking goals rather than points kept the pressure on port

In hindsight, Jmac worth the risk obviously. Had a poor moment or two, everyone does, but looked much better.

I'm going to repeat the same though with Mills. Has to be put through all sorts of stress tests by mid week or he should not play. And even then...

If Logan and Rampe play, and Mills doesn't get up, would just go unchanged.

If Logan misses, then I'd just bring Mills or Fox in (preferably Fox). If Mills in, then Fox sub again. If Mills not fit, Fox in, Cleary sub.

If we simply have to play 3 tall forwards then Hamling over Ladhams. He's been decent up front, could lock onto Stewart, and has won a flag.

If Rampe misses, would just play Fox in the 22. Not Francis.

If none of Logan, Rampe or Mills play - then Fox in obviously, decision between 2 or 3 KPFs over Hamling vs Cleary, and if Cleary, then Adams sub.

As before, if we play Parker, and other outs necessitate Adams vs Cleary, I'd go Cleary.

Last edited:

We had three or even four talls that were better than our current ones on paper (Goodes Reid buddy and Tippett) in 2014 and they cut north up in the prelim but weren’t great gf day at the mcg

But there’s no point undoing it now. And they did a great job last night - good separation and we didn’t need too many down the line bombs - and McLean did mark a few of them in any case

Ball movement from defence was great and the mids usually kept it going forward.

And of course the most underrated stat in the game - kicking goals rather than points kept the pressure on port
Would love to see a stat on how much time the three talls were on the field at the same time as forwards (McLean in the ruck doesn’t count)

Looking at the quarter-by-quarter TOG stats Parker was 100% for Q2 Q3 and Q4 which allowed him to match up on Aliir. If all 3 talls were on the ground as forwards I would think Aliir would have gone to one of them

As an aside while looking the TOG stats up I see Papley only had 41% in the last. Precautionary I hope.

We could have had Lockett, Dunstall, Matthews and Buddy up forward in 2014 and they still would have stunk it up. We got obliterated at the coal face and that was that.

All we need next week is similar to this week - good contest, good seperation and spread, and kicking maybe half a dozen between them.

A big ask, but if our midfield does reasonably well, the forwards will get their chances.

We need one of them to have a really good day, and the others to contribute. Do that, and we will be in it up to our necks.

Number 12 put his whistle away when Heeney tackled Dew for a clear incorrect disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy And we are into another Granny! comprehensive 36 point win over Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back