Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a combination of a couple of things. What commentators won't mention is a large part of that difference in scoring is the willingness of Sydney players to back their skills and have a shot vs Essendon. Because Essendon were looking to give the extra couple of handballs and set up the unpresesured shot they cost themselves goals which means they don't have the margin they should have given their dominance around the ground at half time.

Sydney have a very good first ten minutes of the 3rd quarter with a couple of their senior players standing up and because Essendon haven't got the scoreboard dominance they should have those goals hurt more. Essendon are then forced into a situation where they try to stem momentum by playing keepings off but Sydney have their tails up and don't let it happen.

Look at how many senior Essendon players give a handball instead of having a shot and cost themselves a shot in the first half versus Sydney players willing to back themselves and have a shot from outside 40 in the second half. For example Parish in 5 metres of space 25m out directly in front takes 2 steps hesitates and panic handballs to a stationary teammate instead of having a shot. Elite midfielders in other teams that's going straight over the goal umpires hat.
Confidence is such an elusive thing but it’s a bigger part of the modern game than ever.

Thanks for that. Makes a lot of sense, because I've noticed Essendon has been like that in other games I've watched of theirs. Their only forward that seems to have the balls to attack is Langford. Stringer tries to do it by himself too much and it works for him sometimes, but he also stuffs up lot with clangers and kicks to no mans land. They do dominate General play a lot which is what I saw in the first half of this game. I actually thought they might run away with it in the second and was surprised they just stopped like a deer in headlights.

Good win for the Swans though. They know how to hang around in games they are down in and get back on top - This is a great team attribute to have, come tough finals

For example Nic Martin was talked up for having 30+ disposals and 3 goals. What isn't mentioned is that other elite players in the competition with that same game their impact is more or a tagger is sent to them which then frees up Merrett. I counted at least 3 times Martin was in space and in a position to have a shot that you'd back a player of his skills to kick at least 7 out of 10 for him to handball to a stationery player that is immediately tackled.

Up the other end Parker and Heeney have just as much impact on the scoreboard because they back their skills and take a chance when it comes their way with less opportunities. Two passages of play that stood out to me and showed me the difference between the 2 teams. The Parish effort I've already mentioned and late in the game Martin in space breaks 40m and handballs to a stationary player. Ask yourself this, how many other players that are talked up as future elites, regularly make that mistake? Gulden, Butters, Rozee, Daicos, Walsh, Reid, Sheezel they all back themselves, run to 30 and put it over the goal umpires head.

Heppell was offered the game. He declined. As outlined in the post you quoted.

Stop acting like we didn’t give it to him. It’s incorrect and misleading

it certainly was a stinker of an evening and season even, but not for the reasons your suggesting.
Scott seemed to suggest that he wasn't selected in his post-match presser

That 2020 draft haul when they had 3 picks in the top10 is as bad as it gets in modern recruiting times

#8- Nik Cox
#9 - Archie Perkins
#10 - Zach Reid
They could play the victim there.

Or.

They could own the fact that loading up on a compromised/covid affected draft was a nonsensical idea.

Recruiters didn't get good looks at players throughout the year as well as they had in other years. Just another example of Dodoro's ineptitude.

when as player doesn't accept a game, they are usually not selected........
But Scott said this...

“Are you able to talk us through the Dyson Heppell decision … not selecting him tonight?” one journo asked.
After a brief pause and stare, Scott responded.
Brad Scott wasn't in the mood
“We’ve had discussions for four to six weeks, he is as strong as I am on this. We were still in contention and we pick our best team and that’s what we did and that’s what everyone would expect us to do,” he said.

But Scott said this...

“Are you able to talk us through the Dyson Heppell decision … not selecting him tonight?” one journo asked.
After a brief pause and stare, Scott responded.
Brad Scott wasn't in the mood
“We’ve had discussions for four to six weeks, he is as strong as I am on this. We were still in contention and we pick our best team and that’s what we did and that’s what everyone would expect us to do,” he said.

dunno what your reading that suggests anything different to what i have said.

Heppell has been out of form for weeks, and he was dropped. He was offered this game as a farewell game which he declined because he knew he didn't deserve the spot and in line with Brad wanted the best possible team

Scotts words essentially replicate that.

For all the shit things Essendon did this game such as more than doubling swans Inside 50's at half time with only a goal lead, you are focusing on the wrong thing.

dunno what your reading that suggests anything different to what i have said.

Heppell has been out of form for weeks, and he was dropped. He was offered this game as a farewell game which he declined because he knew he didn't deserve the spot and in line with Brad wanted the best possible team

Scotts words essentially replicate that.

For all the shit things Essendon did this game such as more than doubling swans Inside 50's at half time with only a goal lead, you are focusing on the wrong thing.
Scott said he wasn't offered a spot. Scott said that they selected their best team, and simply that Heppell wasn't in it.

incorrect - that was never said.
Why didn’t Scott say he was offered a game and like the consummate team man, politely declined?
Could have easily put the conversation to rest and spin it in a positive light but didn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why didn’t Scott say he was offered a game and like the consummate team man, politely declined?
Could have easily put the conversation to rest and spin it in a positive light but didn’t.

I'm not Brad Scott.

regardless, Heppell was offered it, and he turned it down.

Heppel agreed that the best team should be selected, it is unfortunate for him that he was not in it.

incorrect - that was never said.
He reject the notion that Heppell should have had a farewell game.

Then he stated that they selected their best team as they were still in contention, and that Heppell was on board with that approach.

I'm no big city lawyer, but doesn't that mean that Heppell was not in their best team?
And if they'd decided to field their best team (which Scott confirmed was their strategy) - how does that fit in with the narrative that he was offered a spot in the team?

That would contradict everything that Scott said.

He reject the notion that Heppell should have had a farewell game.

Then he stated that they selected their best team as they were still in contention, and that Heppell was on board with that approach.

I'm no big city lawyer, but doesn't that mean that Heppell was not in their best team?
And if they'd decided to field their best team (which Scott confirmed was their strategy) - how does that fit in with the narrative that he was offered a spot in the team?

That would contradict everything that Scott said.

Heppell isn't in our best team, that's why he rejected the offer when it was given. He was on the same page with Scott that we play the best possible team, which is what Scott said.

Essendon supporters know Heppel was offered it through what we know at the club. Take it or leave it, beyond that, can't help you.

Dunno why you are so focused on this, after being told several times.

Heppell isn't in our best team, that's why he rejected the offer when it was given. He was on the same page with Scott that we play the best possible team, which is what Scott said.
If you've decided to play your best team, why would you offer someone a spot in it if they're not in the best team?

If you've decided to play your best team, why would you offer someone a spot in it if they're not in the best team?
Yeh …….. poor form for sure!!
You just select a club stalwart without even having to offer up a spot, no questions asked.
It just speaks volumes of how out of touch the EFC is and his inclusion should have galvanised a group looking to have one last tilt at finals action.

that's exactly what Heppel and Scott agreed and why he didn't play!

this is not rocket science

Your essentially saying Scott should have just named Heppel and forced him to play.

So he wasn't offered a spot then?

he was offered

they discussed it

and then agreed Heppel won't play as they agreed to play the best available.

not sure what else you want from this

he was offered

they discussed it

and then agreed Heppel won't play as they agreed to play the best available.

not sure what else you want from this
This doesn't sound like he was offered anything...

If Scott has been strong on playing the best team available for the past 6 weeks - when did this offer to Heppell supposedly happen?

This doesn't sound like he was offered anything...

If Scott has been strong on playing the best team available for the past 6 weeks - when did this offer to Heppell supposedly happen?

It was,

not sure what else i can tell ya. ill leave it there

you do you.

It was,

not sure what else i can tell ya. ill leave it there

you do you.
From The Age this morning...

Though disappointed not to be have played, Heppell, according to multiple club sources speaking on the condition of anonymity, handled his non-selection with grace and fully understood why Scott left him out of the final 23. A club source also strongly rejected a report players were unhappy Heppell was not picked, saying leaders believed there was nothing to the claim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bombers v Swans - AFL Rd 23, 2024 - Fri August 16th 7:40pm - (Marvel)

Back