Unofficial Preview Changes for Round 11 v St.Kilda @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to change something up because our current midfield is far too one dimensional and we don't have anyone to bring in to change that up until Wellingham returns.

Priddis and Kerr in the same midfield is too one dimensional and very poor defensively. Priddis can't play anywhere else and won't get dropped so I would suggest playing Kerr as a small forward for the majority of the game giving him only short bursts in the middle. Forward stints haven't worked so well with Kerr in the past but with him spending most of his time there and not spending all his energy in the middle, he should be able to at the very least offer some defensive pressure and tackling to our forward line.

Give Masten more time in the middle. He is one of our few midfielders that offers something both offensively and defensively and was about the only one that could actually pick up the ball last night. I would start with him, Priddis and Scooter in the middle then rotate with Shuey. Shuey is our most damaging but his defensive side isn't that great at this stage.

Midfield rotations are severely lacking. Hutchings has been good but he offers a lot of what we already have. A fit Wellingham would help a lot. Lecras is horribly out of form but he needs to continue to be played through the middle because we lack those rotations. If he can get back some form it will help us out a lot.

It's going to be a tough year and we just need to hope the team makes a huge play at bringing in Jetta and Rich.

This is a huge problem to start with, he won't get dropped and I agree with you. How is it a player who cannot play in any other position and has zero impact on games no matter how many times he gets can be not dropped?

To early to judge Hutchings I think. We play Selwood, Shuey and Masten still and they have played 70+ games. Give Hutchings 20-30 games as a starting mid and then judge him. How Selwood, Shuey and Masten escape criticism is beyond me after the amount of games and time they have had. And some still think they need more time???? And then in the same breath say drop Hutchings and Shepherd???

This is a huge problem to start with, he won't get dropped and I agree with you. How is it a player who cannot play in any other position and has zero impact on games no matter how many times he gets can be not dropped?

To early to judge Hutchings I think. We play Selwood, Shuey and Masten still and they have played 70+ games. Give Hutchings 20-30 games as a starting mid and then judge him. How Selwood, Shuey and Masten escape criticism is beyond me after the amount of games and time they have had. And some still think they need more time???? And then in the same breath say drop Hutchings and Shepherd???

I really don't see what is to criticise about Masten? He has been our best midfielder this year and has hardly played a bad game.

TBH, the midfield woes I don't think are the personnel, it's the strategy. As soon as we obtain possession of the ball every single player streams forwards then 30-40% of the time we turn it over, badly. Once the turnover happens a single kick by the oppositions eliminates the 8-12 of our players streaming forwards, and the 1 or 2 opposition men who didn't charge backwards are open in bountiful plains of space, and they kill us by either scoring themselves or drawing a defender and passing to the open man.

So apart from A. Selwood and Embley who had little to no good effect on the game, I don't think there should be too many outs. Not unless this habit of streaming forward, with no defensive awareness, is stamped out. That or we start showing the skill to nail a higher percentages of our hand and foot passes.

It's a 2-way game and we're a team full of 1-way midfielders.

FWIW, my early ins and outs:

In - Wilson (give the kid a go already), McGinnity
Out - A. Selwood, Embley

If Brown's out injured, give Smith another run. Wilson can play big enough to take Wilkes.

I'm new to this forum but for mine Masten should be immune from criticism for his output this year. He has been good and has followed up his excellent finish to last season. I'm more concerned about Scooter's disposal and Shuey's drop in output and consistency. Kerr is still our best, but he has lost a step and we shouldn't be relying on him. I'm just at a loss like everyone else i think. I had fairly lofty hopes for this season. I like most people just assumed Gaff, Shuey and Scooter would all improve on last year.

TBH, the midfield woes I don't think are the personnel, it's the strategy. As soon as we obtain possession of the ball every single player streams forwards then 30-40% of the time we turn it over, badly. Once the turnover happens a single kick by the oppositions eliminates the 8-12 of our players streaming forwards, and the 1 or 2 opposition men who didn't charge backwards are open in bountiful plains of space, and they kill us by either scoring themselves or drawing a defender and passing to the open man.

So apart from A. Selwood and Embley who had little to no good effect on the game, I don't think there should be too many outs. Not unless this habit of streaming forward, with no defensive awareness, is stamped out. That or we start showing the skill to nail a higher percentages of our hand and foot passes.

It's a 2-way game and we're a team full of 1-way midfielders.

FWIW, my early ins and outs:

In - Wilson (give the kid a go already), McGinnity
Out - A. Selwood, Embley

If Brown's out injured, give Smith another run. Wilson can play big enough to take Wilkes.

Spot on imo...the worrying thing is it seems as its been happening against the good teams (and some not so good) since the Syd and Freo games last year. We've been completely worked out, opposition coaches just set up a wall at the back of the stoppage and another a kick behind the stoppage. They allow us first possession and then manically swarm our players till we either turn it over (and they rush it forward), or we get a pressured kick forward straight to their numbers, where they can switch the play and run into open goals.

The commentators pointed it out on numerous occasions last night, its extremely worrying that our army of highly paid coaches cant figure out how to combat it (given its been happening for almost a year and we have one of the biggest weapons in the league in NN).

I wonder how much the "lack of effort" that seemed evident last night comes from the players losing faith in the gameplan??

On Scott Selwood, worth his spot but am now fearful when he's in open space, kicking has turned to absolute shit, needs to talk to masten. He bombs long or misses targets. Last year in the first half of the season he would have been just outside the AA team, was taking players on attacking, sidestepping, tackling as good as ever and was kicking within his limits.

On Scott Selwood, worth his spot but am now fearful when he's in open space, kicking has turned to absolute shit, needs to talk to masten. He bombs long or misses targets. Last year in the first half of the season he would have been just outside the AA team, was taking players on attacking, sidestepping, tackling as good as ever and was kicking within his limits.

Yeah its crazy how poor his disposal has gotten as last year it was close to elite...same with Shuey..i want to know why this is? Maybe its a lack of skill sessions through out the season? and to much injury preventation? Even when in open space with no pressure they both seem to turn it over and seems very unlike them.

It's ridiculous how often shuey is 50m out on the run and just grubbers it or shanks it into the pocket. Should be kicking a couple of goals a game.

Shuey's passing is as good as it gets, it's his goal kicking that's gone completely.
He has some great passes yesterday (did grubber one mind you, was very close to a mark that worm burner)

Often he is running into goal open, kicks from 50/45 and misses 4/5 of them.
Normally that's his forte, being the finisher, having that pace, he needs to slot those goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Waters still injured? :(

Doubt Butler will be dropped, next week's his 100th and there were worse out there than him.

(He'll probably miss with a calf or hammy or groin or ankle or quad though).
If it was up to me I'd pot Butler back in the middle. He has pace, is a smart footballer and his disposal is good. They put him in the back as he was injury prone. At this stage of his career I reckon it is just play where you are needed as we do have some options as backs. I know Tunbridge is a rookie but from what I've seen of him he also looks like he could play in the middle as he is big and has all the skills. I felt a bit sorry for the backs as the midfield just let theor men run riot

I am concerned that our rucks are not having sufficient influence around the ground. Cox took 3 marks NN 2. This is not good enough. They should be taking at least 6 each.

100 games in 10 seasons in the list. Boy oh boy, wowee.

Ordinary footballer, not adding a lot to our side these days.
Never thought I'd agree with you there Scotland, but there you go, sometimes crusty old bastards like myself can change. The guy was not the worst but I'd rather determine if Tunbridge, Smith, Cripps, Brennan et al have something more to offer before the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes for Round 11 v St.Kilda @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back