Unofficial Preview Changes for Round 11 v St.Kilda @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd make a case and i know this is probably premature but for Colledge to have his development accelerated if we can in the second half of the year if his form permits.

I don't mind this.

If rumors are true that Newman has had a big attitude change recently I am all for him coming in when fitness permits. Type of player we could really use in the long term.

Anyway out with the game-plan. We are slow, predictable and need to change how we operate in the engine room.

I'm done with these old blokes, keeping getting game into the younger talent imo.

I'm not convinced that he is AFL quality but I'm not against giving another run to Cripps. I'd rather him play off half back then Sheppard (who can move of half forward).

Out: Brown (inj?), Cox (rested), A.Selwood, Embley
In: Waters, Wilson, Lycett, Brennan

B: Waters, Glass, Wilson
HB: Hurn, MacKenzie, Butler
C: Rosa, Kerr, Gaff
HF: LeCras, Darling, Shuey
F: Hill, Kennedy, Lycett
R: Naitanui, Masten, S.Selwood
I: Priddis, Brennan, Hutchings
S: Sheppard
E: Dalziell, Hams, McGinnity (Smith, Cripps, Morton... cupboard's looking bare)

Cox looks very jaded to me. Give him a couple of weeks off and reward Lycett for some good WAFL form.

Brown was in our best until he went off, not sure what the prognosis is for him. If he's fit then Brennan probably misses out.

Selwood and Embley drop themselves.

LeCras should be on notice but I'm not sure who replaces him. Dick hurt a hammy on the weekend.

It will be interesting to see if A Selwood has another one of those mysterious 1 week quad injuries. It's almost like they don't want to admit they made a mistake picking him and only dropping him because of 'injury' and not form.

Give McGinnity a shot then. Brennan plays poorly in WAFL and surprise surprise, plays poorly in AFL. He can be as hard as you want, but you don't want him to actually get possession. That says a lot.

What crap, brennan kicking skills have improved and adds pace and run. Why selwood was selected was baffling and I backed Richmond when I found out he had been selected

He's been in great WAFL form and deserves a go. Has decent pace, can hit a target and has shown he's capable when playing in the midfield at WAFL level except he only ever gets placed in the forward pocket at AFL level.
He just can't get the ball at AFL level. He actually played at half forward and although he puts the effort in he simply is not good enough for an ongoing role. Think back to how many times you have seen him punch his fist into the other hand when he has made another blue. For a small man he doesn't have the pace or skill to be ant danger at all. His stats for disposals average single figures and now that the umpires aren't paying him dodgy free kicks he is ineffective...a one trick pony.

Out: Selwood, Embley,
In: Wilson, Waters

Hate to say it but those 2 are 100% done for the year.

Cox does look very sore and tired and there were rumors before round 1 he has been carrying back complaint and should not be written off as i think he will get back to his best. No point resting him as we have a break coming up and him and few of the other older players should get some down to re-freshen up.

Retain
Woosh: Beaten tonite/this season - but we will benefit from his learnings

A good coach learns during the game and makes changes as his side is getting beaten. I did not see one change last night except possibly Lecras going back as a spare man. Yeah great idea putting someone in the backline who cant tackle or take a contested mark atm. Oh I think i saw Darling there for 5 mins as well

:rolleyes:

We dont have a whole season to "learn", FFS learn during the game and come up with a plan B, for christs sake that was a frustrating game

I was the same. I know one player wasn't responsible for the loss but A Selwood has fumbled and farted around all year and yet still gets a game in fron of Brennan who has a real go even though he occassionally misses his man with kicking. On that, Priddis does it all the time and is still seen as an elite player. Simply nonsense! Priddis does cover a lot of ground and presumably works to instruction but given the armchair ride Cox and Nic Nat give him you would expect the kind of possessions he gets. The problem is that his effective possessions are practically nil. I know someone has said it before but it is a fact that WCE will not win another premiership while our midfield is built around priddis and players like A Selwood continue to get a walk up game. The only silver lining is that the selectors appear to have finally woken up that Hams is not the answer either. It's time to roll the dice and try something new and if the cupboard is bare then it's time to concentrate on rebuilding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be surprised if there are many changes for this game. If Waters is really fit then he will come in but other than that no on else is really banging down the selection door. Its not really our style to make massive stages. Last night's team will be given the chance to redeem themselves against St Kilda and then we have the bye. I would think that there will be a fairly major review by Woosha and the other staff as to where it has gone wrong this year. If we lose to St Kilda then the season is effectively over and the axe will fall on those players for whom we have fit replacements. For what its worth, I think the football department has as much to answer for as the players.

What crap, brennan kicking skills have improved and adds pace and run. Why selwood was selected was baffling and I backed Richmond when I found out he had been selected

Yeah, nah.

I would, however, select him ahead of Adam Selwood.

How do others rate S Selwood's games this year?

I know his possessions numbers are going OK but...................

Scored his first goal for the year last night (according to Fox)
Seems to bomb it long more often than not. Not sure if this is because he is too close to the pack and receiving the ball under pressure or his kicking skills are not up to scratch.
Not finding space in the midfield or running lines like last year.

Overall I would rate S Selwood's year as only average at this point in time.

I'm starting to think it's our game plan rather than our players that is the problem.

The forward press is obviously not working. It crowds our forward line. When the ball hits the ground in our forward line there is a ridiculous amount of opposition players in there. With so many of our players zoning off around the 50 to 60m arc trying to keep the ball in there our forwards are out numbered.

This explains our innability to beat the good teams but smash the poor teams. Teams with poor foot skils can get the ball due to out flooded forward 50 but turn it over on the way out meaning a lot of the time we end up marking the ball 60m out from goal with another forward 50 entry. Against the teams with good foot skills they easily get the ball inside the 50 due to their overwhelming numbers and can tehn navigate through our wall. once past that wall we dont have the pace to match their spread and we are easilyb scored against.

I dont understand why we wont go 1 on 1 when our press isnt working. IMO on paper we are better than Richmond but clearly lack the pace to go with them when we turn it over

It may have worked a couple of years ago due to the relatively new concept of the hard forward press. Teams would blaze away and just kick and hope from the defensive 50. Now teams have realise they just neeed to lower their eyes and navigate their way through the press

To me it's plain f*cking obvious

Seems to bomb it long more often than not. Not sure if this is because he is too close to the pack and receiving the ball under pressure or his kicking skills are not up to scratch.

Is turning into a shorter and slightly faster version of Adam, this isn't a good thing.

His attitude and dedication to the cause is admirable. Unfortunatly he is becoming another Priddis where the opposition don't care how often he touches it because he does not hurt you. His kicking is average at best, he cannot pin point the ball to people who can then be dangerous.
He is in our starting midfield just as Priddis is and there in lies the huge problem we have.

His attitude and dedication to the cause is admirable. Unfortunatly he is becoming another Priddis where the opposition don't care how often he touches it because he does not hurt you. His kicking is average at best, he cannot pin point the ball to people who can then be dangerous.
He is in our starting midfield just as Priddis is and there in lies the huge problem we have.

His best footy has been played as a defensive mid playing a shutdown role (think his games against Judd) as he does have the capacity to find his own ball whilst still restricting his opponent.

As a purely offensive mid his skills don't cut it as you've pointed out.

If A Selwood and Embley get named this week, I'm going fishing!
Watching those 2 play now, is as much fun as wearing a pair of hessian undies. They should be retired to the WAFL and only brought back if the young guys ahead of them are injured.
What's the ****ing point of having guys like Wilson, Smith, Morton, Cripps, Dalziel, Brennan waiting on the sidelines, it must be incredibly frustrating for those players to not be given the opportunity to strut their stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes for Round 11 v St.Kilda @ ES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back