Changes for semi-final v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

We need McGinnity in the 21 to tag Heath Shaw.

Who played on Obrien last time we played?

I'm pretty sure that McGinnity played on Harry last time. Did a pretty good job of negating his run off the back line

Can Rosa play off half back? I reckon with Waters out, we will miss the way he sweeps across half back

I'm pretty sure that McGinnity played on Harry last time. Did a pretty good job of negating his run off the back line

Can Rosa play off half back? I reckon with Waters out, we will miss the way he sweeps across half back

That's what I was thinking of with Embley. If Rosa comes in surely we have one too many wingers, Embers could do ok from HB but not sure about either of their defensive games.

He played there for most of 2008 and was decent enough.

Might be the way to go then, a bit of extra run cant hurt, especially with G being so wide you would think we need to use the wings well and get as much run as possible.

On a side note, probably been mentioned already but what are all your thoughts on how the pies will respond with the news of McCarthy. I heard a few of them didn't train after hearing about it, which is fair enough if he was good mate but its hard to tell whether they will fire up or be a little distracted.

Might be the way to go then, a bit of extra run cant hurt, especially with G being so wide you would think we need to use the wings well and get as much run as possible.

On a side note, probably been mentioned already but what are all your thoughts on how the pies will respond with the news of McCarthy. I heard a few of them didn't train after hearing about it, which is fair enough if he was good mate but its hard to tell whether they will fire up or be a little distracted.

Hit them very hard - it will be interesting to see how they go - it will either deflate them or inspire them.

Brown would replace Schoefield as the 3rd tall and Schoefield would take over Waters as the 3rd man up + rebounding defender
we truly would be land o' giants if we did that!

Collingwood's named forward line last week included: Krakouer, Shaw, Fasolo and Thomas. Undoubtedly midfielders rotated through, including Beams, Swan, Pendlebury, Blair, Sinclair, Didak (sub), Wellingham and Sidebottom.

Tallest player? Pendlebury at 191cm. Hardly an overhead marking target. Next is a bunch between 180-186cm with Krak and Blair in the 170s.

The Pies are not a tall side, meaning Glass/Brown/Schofield is going to be matching up on someone shorter as the 'third' tall defender.

As a comparison, Brennan is taller than all of the mentioned Collingwood players except Pendlebury. I'm not convinced we need to bring in a 'tall' given they will likely match up against someone short and quick during the course of the match.

Someone quick and agile in for Waters for mine, if that's Brennan so be it. If it's someone else and Rosa is fit I'd like to see Rosa take Brennan's spot as sub. If worse comes to worst McGinnity A. Selwood or Embley can defend.

Collingwood's named forward line last week included: Krakouer, Shaw, Fasolo and Thomas. Undoubtedly midfielders rotated through, including Beams, Swan, Pendlebury, Blair, Sinclair, Didak (sub), Wellingham and Sidebottom.

Tallest player? Pendlebury at 191cm. Hardly an overhead marking target. Next is a bunch between 180-186cm with Krak and Blair in the 170s.

The Pies are not a tall side, meaning Glass/Brown/Schofield is going to be matching up on someone shorter as the 'third' tall defender.

As a comparison, Brennan is taller than all of the mentioned Collingwood players except Pendlebury. I'm not convinced we need to bring in a 'tall' given they will likely match up against someone short and quick during the course of the match.

Someone quick and agile in for Waters for mine, if that's Brennan so be it. If it's someone else and Rosa is fit I'd like to see Rosa take Brennan's spot as sub. If worse comes to worst McGinnity A. Selwood or Embley can defend.
what bout EMac

yeh can't see Brown coming in. Can't see Stevenson given a run either.
Reckon Smith might get a chance as a sub.

If Brown gets to play I say he just acts like a wrecking ball and gets subbed out early, would love to see the Pies forward line limping around all banged up :).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Earlier in the year I recall Rosa being a defensive wingman while Gaff was an attacking wingman, it worked well but Rosa was never as deep as waters, he can cover the ground and make it as a loose man and is great at finding space to provide an option out but in a one on one contest he'd be less reliable than waters. I'd like Brennan starting in waters role (or Ash smith in brennan out) and Rosa in the starting 21 at the expense of someone like A. Selwood or Mcginnity incase he gets re injured. A. selwood can play the wing role and his kicking has improved.

If Brown gets to play I say he just acts like a wrecking ball and gets subbed out early, would love to see the Pies forward line limping around all banged up :).

At least until he gets poked in the eye at the 3 minute mark of the first quarter and sits on the bench until quarter time and gets subbed out.

With Maxwell out (although he isn't really a tall) I say we try and stretch them.

Reid, Tarrant & Brown go to JK, Ruckmen & Lynch = Darling destroys Harry O.
Toovey will get Darling. This is why Lynch is vital - without him, they'll play a tall on Darling thereby freeing up an extra loose man who can aid their rebound efforts.

The flow-on effect of Lynch playing is that, with Hill making Shaw or Harry-O accountable, there remains only one to be locked down/tagged, which McGinnity could hopefully manage.

Lynch also plays well/becomes more important structurally at the 'G. Wider ground = more space for him to lead into. Plus, I don't recall him being useless in the wet, unless the ball is delivered at his feet.

Bookies rate us too, pies:$1.80 eagles:$2.06
I dared to put a multi on freo & west coast winning. Freo will shut Adelaide down and win no problems, but our game, well, I guess it all depends on how McCarthy's death affects the pies' game - their midfield has the potential to blast ours off the park.

If Rosa plays, and Brennan comes into the 21, what are the sub options?

McGinnity, Gaff, Rosa, Embley.

Can't see it being anyone else. Would be a tough call.
Unless returning from an injury, Gaff will never play as the sub again in his career. Having him on the bench for 3 quarters is an absolute waste of his tank, his position sense and his generally awesome death-by-a-thousand-cuts style. He does not fit the mold of the green vest - it fits lower-ranked burst players better.

I think Darling is quick enough and extremely mobile to effectively roam and cause major headaches in our forward line if Lynch plays not to mention Kennedy also has excellent defensive pressure and IIRC he lead the league (or atleast us) in inside 50 tackles last season.

am i the only one who thinks its only natural to replace waters with brennan for a full game and bring in rosa or someone else as sub?

if rosa is fit enough to play as a sub, even if something went wrong, i think he's mature enough to play a more defensive winger job esp if embley is going the other way

Unless returning from an injury, Gaff will never play as the sub again in his career. Having him on the bench for 3 quarters is an absolute waste of his tank, his position sense and his generally awesome death-by-a-thousand-cuts style. He does not fit the mold of the green vest - it fits lower-ranked burst players better.

You make a good point. But you don't answer the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for semi-final v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back