List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been a fan of a U21 (or something) comp. Drafted at 18 like now, play U21 for a couple of years, get a degree or a TAFE diploma or whatever as insurance if they don't make it, then onto the AFL.

Counterargument has always been players like Reid ready to impact at 18 etc. But I'm still a fan of the idea.

And state v state footy would fill the void of SOO as a lot of the players will be high picks in the following draft and be ready for an immediate impact.

I think the happy medium is limiting the number of under 20s your allowed on your list. The Reid’s, Rowells, Daicos always get drafted early and play young while other players will have time to get their body and mind right for AFL out of the spotlight.

Ralphy again saying Baker wants us, but it’ll come down to whether we split our first.

We better not split a top 3 pick on the premise of getting Liam Baker.

Of course a Richmond fan would conjure up this kind of scenario. In no reality is Baker worth splitting a top pick for, let alone trading away a pick in the teens for...while we're at it, Ralphy, why don't we sweeten the deal and add Harley Reid to the trade as well...f*ck me..

Another classic situation of a player wanting to come back to WA and the trade system suddenly being an auction where it doesn't matter which team the player prefers. Amazing how it never works like this when a player wants to go back to Vic. Baker would be a FA next year, an early second rounder might not be enough but it isn't so far off that we can't get something done.

Rucks (and hit outs) just don't matter that much. Perhaps our mids could actually get to work.

teams that have won the hit-out count in 2024 have only a 49 per cent win rate, suggesting it’s a largely irrelevant stat for the outcome of a match.
So your saying that Tim English is back on the menu boys

Ralphy again saying Baker wants us, but it’ll come down to whether we split our first.

And of course Ralph is suggesting Bo Allan is the one we want all along, ie WA player A.

He also seems to say we were maybe indecisive about trading the pick last year?

Gut feel is we’re going to pull out of the Baker race. Ralph has been consistent but the only one suggesting we’re splitting a pick for him.

The prevailing assumption with Baker is that Fremantle will actually offer one of their R1 picks

Potentially, all of Fremantle, Port and Collingwood get no further than week 1 of finals so their lowest R1 pick might be 12

I doubt Fremantle are handing that over for Baker even with something coming back

So just because Fremantle have better picks doesn’t mean they’re going to hand them over easily, especially if Warner is their preferred target

We might also have the PSD as an option if Richmond climb above us on the ladder before the end of the season

That's just Ralphy doing his usual 'what would work best for the Victorian club' schtick. It'll be 23/F2 unless we get a first back for a player. ie. a spare first without splitting whether we split pick 3 or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd better not do this.
I'd take Baker in a trade, Richmond can have their pick of BWilliams, Rotham, Darling or Sheed. Hell they can have all four if they want

Ralphy is one eyed Tiger who will put anything out there to help them. If Baker wants us and we want him it’s pick 23 and steak knives. Apparently the draft is so even and picks in the 40s were as good as 20s last year.

He’s trade suggestions involving Richmond this year. North give up a top3 pick for Balta and Eagles split and give 10-13 pick to Richmond, like cmon at least try and hide it a little

I'm melting. Just cull one of Tim Kelly and Yeo and be done with the facade.

It seems like we are not getting them two on board and healthy at the same time. So just be done with it. Next year is even worse since they are a year later.

It's Shuey 2023 all over again

I'm melting. Just cull one of Tim Kelly and Yeo and be done with the facade.

It seems like we are not getting them two on board and healthy at the same time. So just be done with it. Next year is even worse since they are a year later.

It's Shuey 2023 all over again
Having one is better than having none.

We'd better not do this.
I'd take Baker in a trade, Richmond can have their pick of BWilliams, Rotham, Darling or Sheed. Hell they can have all four if they want
I would rather Garcia over Baker.

Younger , not a runt and fair value .

You just know the Vic media will over value Baker

Best thing for us would be Baker sign 1 more year then leave as a free agent

Last edited:
The prevailing assumption with Baker is that Fremantle will actually offer one of their R1 picks

Potentially, all of Fremantle, Port and Collingwood get no further than week 1 of finals so their lowest R1 pick might be 12

I doubt Fremantle are handing that over for Baker even with something coming back

So just because Fremantle have better picks doesn’t mean they’re going to hand them over easily, especially if Warner is their preferred target

We might also have the PSD as an option if Richmond climb above us on the ladder before the end of the season
The whole article is nothing but Ralph being a paid employee of the Richmond media team. No one is giving up pick 12 for Baker (as he suggested) and there is no way your guys are thinking about breaking up 3, in one of the deepest drafts known, for a 27 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back