List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesnt mean the Ginbey trade/draft was a success though.
Its completely unrelated.

Yes its great to get Reid, but it also meant we didnt make any steps forward from the year before.

Going around in circles. If you wish to go around and assess whether every swim stroke is perfect vs whether you won the race, then go ahead.

Drafting and premierships are a marathon. Ginbey is hardly a failure and when a player career ending due to injury, it is hardly a drafting problem.

That pick could be another Noah Long... we're already 99% sure DGB is a crab so why waste a list spot on him
And fair enough if that’s what the recruiters and coaches think.

Been plenty of key possie players come good with a 2nd opportunity and in the right situation. Having Gov around would definitely help his development.
TB leaves and the unknown on Jamieson would require KPD as depth. Not sure Long can play key back.

Provided Hawks miss the finals I think A will get it done. B looks appealing on face value but could well end up being a 2025 swap of pick 15ish for pick 19.

The big if is where the Hawks finish this year. I’m predicting 9th. For me option A then turns into Barrass for Travaglia and Mraz (or possibly O’Farrell) which I’d be ok with. I’d want to be comfortable that is the combination of players we’d get for him in the draft.
So the ins would be:
English (FA) for Barrass (trade)
Pick 2 = Draper or FOS or Jagga
Pick 9 = Berry or Travaglia or Reid
Pick 22 to be Oliver or Shanahan or O'Farrell
Pick 26 = Mraz or Davis

With those 4 picks we can pick up
2 genuine midfielders
1 KPD
1 HBF great distributor and line breaker

A very good ruck who will at least break even and be somewhat as a midfielder around the ground while we lose a very good intercepting KPD and hope Harry and Gov stay fit with one of Barnett, Archer, Bazzo to come good.

Where do I sign

So the ins would be:
English (FA) for Barrass (trade)
Pick 9 = Berry or Travaglia or Reid
Pick 22 to be Oliver or Shanahan or O'Farrell
Pick 26 = Mraz or Davis

With those 4 picks we can pick up
2 genuine midfielders
1 KPD
1 HBF great distributor and line breaker

A very good ruck who will at least break even and be somewhat as a midfielder around the ground while we lose a very good intercepting KPD and hope Harry and Gov stay fit with one of Barnett, Archer, Bazzo to come good.

Where do I sign
Agreed. FOS, Travaglia, O’Farrell and Mraz would be perfect if we lose Barrass. Would love to somehow manufacture a pick around 11 for Lindsay too. Still think a F1 trade to Freo for some 1R picks and a swap of Ryan and Knobel would be a good result for both clubs and players.

I’ve never been a big Barass fan.Great mark, but so one sided it’s scary.Never runs forward,if he doesn’t have an option he doesn’t look to make one , he just hoofs it forward off a step.He would suit the Hawks with their plethora of runners.Insane pressure teams can’t keep it up year in year out.You need some marking power.
Waterman bleeds WC.He is our only forward workhorse. JD is shot,OA can’t get anywhere near his work rate nor can JW.
AReid may but he is still to come.Looking like a scary forward line coming up for us.
Gov will be around for a couple of years ( we’ll glue him back together at seasons end).
HEd is starting to look the goods.Can’t see why there have been so many haters.
Jameson and Basso are thereabouts.Barnett being tested at CHB.
Get xtra draft picks,get two mids and one/two good kicking half backs and maybe another zippy small forward.
The rebuild has more than just started!!

Agreed. FOS, Travaglia, O’Farrell and Mraz would be perfect if we lose Barrass. Would love to somehow manufacture a pick around 11 for Lindsay too. Still think a F1 trade to Freo for some 1R picks and a swap of Ryan and Knobel would be a good result for both clubs and players.
As much as I love watching Ryan as an Eagle, I sense he will be best served in a team that is at pointy end. Freo have missed Walters and Schultz in their forward line and Ryan would fill some of that. Should they spend a R1 on him?

I would be asking the question if I was Freo's List Manager. If WCE are wanting Knobel as well as a R1 pick, it will be the Freo R1 unless we stump up some of Ryan's salary. I see Port as touch and go making the 8 and you will probably need at least pick 10 to get Lindsay. I actually have Lindsay higher but I note Cal does not.

Lets say we lose Barrass and Ryan (plus pay some salary), hit the draft with

So the ins would be:
English (FA) and Knobel
Pick 9 = Berry or Travaglia or Reid (Tom trade with Hawks R1 pick)
Pick 10 = one of the above (Liam trade with Freo R1 Port pick)
Pick 22 = one of Oliver or Shanahan or O'Farrell
Pick 26 = Mraz or Davis (Tom trade with Hawks R2 Pies pick)

Outs Barrass Ryan
I would add Bailey Williams as an out if we get in English and Knobel. I'd happily go a F2 from Demons or alike.

I hope both last that long and at a high level but wtf do we do with the other tall forwards on our list. Something needs to give.
We really need to move one or 2 to the backline or use 1 for tradebait

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd use J Will as second ruck (maybe trade B Will?). A Reid might be better of training as a KPD as we seem very likely to trade Barrass. Maric either goes to defence or wing.

As if we are in a position in what’s a very even top group of players to go all speculative. Let’s role the dice on a midfielder at pick 2 who’s highest possession tally to date has been 16 disposals.

Won’t play Coates league finals because his team is last so we will justify his selection on his underage performance.

Laughing Man Lol GIF

Mate for starters we could never have gotten Sheezel. In the natural order Roos had pick 1 and he was their first taken.
We had pick 2, our own second, plus ports second. Getting only Ginbey out of that, which is a distinct possibility, would be a disaster
Everyone needs to cool their jets on Hewett - people are writing him off as done already. I remember when Shuey was first drafted, he barely played a game for his first two seasons due to OP and knee issues, and people were writing him off then as they are now with Hewett. Look how Shuey turned out....

Using current picks as they stand...
We hold 3, 23, 59

Tom Barrass to Hawthorn for 10 + 27
Bailey Williams to Melbourne for 38
Trade 23, 38, 59 to Gold Coast for 11 (small increase in points, but something like that)
Sign Tim English as free agent

Go into the draft with 3, 10, 11, 27.

Everyone also needs to cool their jets on the Ginbey bashing.

Sheezel (who we couldn't have gotten anyway) is streets ahead of everyone else in that draft. Ginbey stacks up pretty well against the rest so far. The actual number 1 pick had 3 possessions on the weekend, god forbid this place had we ended up drafting him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using current picks as they stand...
We hold 3, 23, 59

Tom Barrass to Hawthorn for 10 + 27
Bailey Williams to Melbourne for 38
Trade 23, 38, 59 to Gold Coast for 11 (small increase in points, but something like that)
Sign Tim English as free agent

Go into the draft with 3, 10, 11, 27.

Unfortunately it looks like the Suns will gift yet another top 10 pick to a Victorian powerhouse for a player not worth close to that (D.Rioli)

Been plenty of key possie players come good with a 2nd opportunity and in the right situation. Having Gov around would definitely help his development.
TB leaves and the unknown on Jamieson would require KPD as depth. Not sure Long can play key back.
Obviously it's not literally going to be another Noah Long, I clearly meant a quality player taken with a late pick

Rioli is a pretty decent player but agree pick 10 is probably overs. It would be far from the worst deal the Sun’s have ever done though.

Pick 2 for Weller is gonna be tough to beat.

I think in a draft like this you stay in the draft. In drafts that really drop away in quality then there’s more opportunity and reason to give recycled players another opportunity.

Imo. The fair trade is
Pick 10 + F2 + DGB
For
TB.

But if we pay some of the $$ turn that F2 into F1. They have room apparently for both Battle and TB but would be a case of pick purchasing before it comes in. Leave them with some movement going forward.

Then need to get ours or Hawks F2 or our F2 into GC held WB pick this year. Sounds like their first pick and pick 19 might be going to Richmond if you believe the media. Last year to cash in on these bundles at full rort price. (Or one of Freos but I think they get Bolton)
Forget DGB. When they delist him, we can rookie him if we have to. But I don't think we have to.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy:

Barrass for pick 1, 2, 4

Williams for pick 5

Dom Sheed straight swap for Daicos (pies turn their weakness into their strength)

rebuild done

Looks good.

Rioli is a pretty decent player but agree pick 10 is probably overs. It would be far from the worst deal the Sun’s have ever done though.

On the list of worst deals ever for Gold Coast, you’re right, it probably somehow doesn’t even make the top 10 haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back