List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone needs to cool their jets on Hewett - people are writing him off as done already. I remember when Shuey was first drafted, he barely played a game for his first two seasons due to OP and knee issues, and people were writing him off then as they are now with Hewett. Look how Shuey turned out....
Pretty sure Shuey had glandular fever and a broken leg (and family tragedy) too. It’s not like it was one chronic injury problem, which is what’s making people nervous about Hewett and to a greater extent Burgiel.

Shuey was more lots of bad luck

I’ve never been a big Barass fan.Great mark, but so one sided it’s scary.Never runs forward,if he doesn’t have an option he doesn’t look to make one , he just hoofs it forward off a step.
Criticising a full back for only kicking on one side and never running forward is akin to saying Noah Long sucks because of his lack of hit outs. As a full back, Barrass is elite and we've been very fortunate to have him.

we also lost Shuey, Hurn, and NN. 9 list departures total. Didn't really wreck our draft.
Yeah fair point. Wonder if there will be any retiring this year.

Off top of my head we had more good picks last year. Four in the top 50?

Maybe we will have a way to generate more picks but replacing 8 players with two picks in the top 50 doesn’t seem feasible.

The current consensus is he's gone.
Well we might force him out to generate the picks which is essentially my point. We don’t have enough capital to replace 8 players.

I seriously doubt barrass will initiate the move.

Criticising a full back for only kicking on one side and never running forward is akin to saying Noah Long sucks because of his lack of hit outs. As a full back, Barrass is elite and we've been very fortunate to have him.
That doesn’t make sense sorry!
We are trying to get quick transition out of defence.
How often do you see Barass mark with nobody within 30m of him. Instead of bursting forward gaining 15 or so metres and thinking on the run ; he stands still.
Opposition players run up to him and he either hoofs it long across his body or he backpedals to get room. He loses 10 instead of gaining 10.
Yes he’s a great aerialist but I want a player who wins games not saves games
By the way; Longy is smart enough to ruck; he’d just bite the opposition ruckman on the kneecap.

With you but not with you on this one.

Tom has been a very good player and is a great aerialist. He can also be a wonderful spoiler. I could go on but let's just say he is bloody good.

Now the down side

Barrass very rarely takes on the game - even when passed to out of defence. He invariably goes back behind the mark even when nobody is standing on the mark. Gov in similar situations at least tries to take on the game.

His 1 step kicks are floaters and less than accurate.

I love him when the ball is coming down our end. That is unless he hasn't woken up or disrespects his opponent. I am thinking elimination final 2019.

Now for when we are moving the ball out of our defence. He was perfect in the controlled football game plan however with the faster game and not being a player to take the kick ins, he is less than ideal. Remember, a full back is usually the one who takes the kick ins.

I greatly admire Tom but would not shed any tears if we get a decent trade.

Yeah fair point. Wonder if there will be any retiring this year.

Off top of my head we had more good picks last year. Four in the top 50?

Maybe we will have a way to generate more picks but replacing 8 players with two picks in the top 50 doesn’t seem feasible.

when all was said and done we had 1, 30, 38, 49 (Reid, Reid, Hall, Johnston)

we traded picks for Brockman and got Flynn through free agency

took Rawlinson and Livingstone through the rookie draft

understand our current pick selection doesn't look that attractive but there's a lot still to happen between now and November, Barrass would garner 2 good picks you would think so if that trade happens we could easily be looking at 2 in the first round and 2 in the second

Hawks currently hold pick 10 and 27

Bulldogs currently hold pick 31 and 44

Dogs should get a first rounder for Smith and if English leaves another first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Graham an Eagle in 2025 via free agency according to 7Sport .

It better be a free agency compo scam to get Liam Baker for unders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back