List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
If we fill this void will we be more competitive next year? Will younger guys have to sacrifice games in the seniors so that these fill ins get games? Will these 27 year olds be around in our next Premiership window? Happy to take 1 or 2 that come with very little draft cost but not at the expense of losing games to our younger squad. The old school of thought is that young players need protection from floggings, I doubt that's still the case in the modern era.
Whats the concern with "young blokes" getting pushed out? We still have complete crabs like Rotham and Petch getting games - these are the blokes who are on the chopping block.

I agree if it was in other positions. But we already have three senior players as inside mids. It’s not a gap in the list.

How is graham getting a game?
He’s a big body defensive mid who can stick a tackle and move up forward if needed. Not a needle mover but a role player that we require.

Age, positional need (have no idea how some are saying this is not the case when Gaff, Sheed, Yeos cousin and JJ played a lot of CBAs in the magoos on the weekend and are next players up). By Richmond board he will bring leadership and drive training standards.

Hi all,

Apologies for the intrusion, I come in peace.

Curious to ask what Harry Edwards trade value is? Noting he is out of contract, but also starting to come on (limited sample size).

My team is 100% one of the VIC clubs targetting Harry. Suspect any deal would include Jack Carroll coming the other way.
Yeah very hard to value. Considering him and Waterman were delisted by half this board in the preseason.

Agreed Eagles would match anything other clubs would offer in contract if they trade TB

He’s a big body defensive mid who can stick a tackle and move up forward if needed. Not a needle mover but a role player that we require.

Age, positional need (have no idea how some are saying this is not the case when Gaff, Sheed, Yeos cousin and JJ played a lot of CBAs in the magoos on the weekend and are next players up). By Richmond board he will bring leadership and drive training standards.
He is slower then a tortoise stuck in quick sand. A absolutely disgraceful signing.

Give Clay Hall the spot ffs. If you want Graham, then trade Hall. You just bought in his replacement and the guy hasnt even been given a chance

Our club has no ambition.

And from memory half the board shat the bed about that at the time too

He was also a much more fringe player than Graham is
Hunt came from a premiership contender. Graham comes from the wooden spooners. Hunt filled a positional need, Graham fills nothing but taking a spot from a younger player

Garcia, Davies are similar players, younger, better and more suited to our side. Issue is we just dont have the ambition to target these guys id say.

He is slower then a tortoise stuck in quick sand. A absolutely disgraceful signing.

Give Clay Hall the spot ffs. If you want Graham, then trade Hall. You just bought in his replacement and the guy hasnt even been given a chance

Our club has no ambition.
I didn’t like the signing (clearly not as much as you) then took a couple of deep breaths.

Don’t worry about depth in a squad? Hall was a pick in the 30s in his first year that has hardly set the world on fire. I’m pretty sure if Hall smashes it this week and for the next 4 games and has a reported pre season like he did last year before injury he will be given his chance again next year. Our midfield girt and toughness week in and out is putrid. Graham might help with this and it’s a free hit. Clarke would know what he can bring and what we lack. He doesn’t solve all of those things but might play a little part.

Hunt came from a premiership contender. Graham comes from the wooden spooners. Hunt filled a positional need, Graham fills nothing but taking a spot from a younger player

Garcia, Davies are similar players, younger, better and more suited to our side. Issue is we just dont have the ambition to target these guys id say.

Wasnt my point at all but fwiw Graham has also played in 2 flags so you're point is kind of moot

I'm not against Garcia or Davies and they are both still possibilities with or without Graham

I didn’t like the signing (clearly not as much as you) then took a couple of deep breaths.

Don’t worry about depth in a squad? Hall was a pick in the 30s in his first year that has hardly set the world on fire. I’m pretty sure if Hall smashes it this week and for the next 4 games and has a reported pre season like he did last year before injury he will be given his chance again next year. Our midfield girt and toughness week in and out is putrid. Graham might help with this and it’s a free hit. Clarke would know what he can bring and what we lack. He doesn’t solve all of those things but might play a little part.
Depth in the squad? We are fricken the worst team in AFL history at this point. What are we gathering depth for? A flag push?

Many younger and better players exist that we should be pushing for. We should try to sign them instead of a list clogger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I recall a fair few negative comments about picking up Hunt.

Very similar to what is being said now about Graham.

He is free people. A premiership player and a highly respected player at Richmond with high standards.

How about we hold off on making judgements untill the end of the trade and delisting periods. We likely have payers in that age group leaving and we cant replace all of them with quality kids as we dont hold the picks.

Fast forward three months. We have Rotham, Petruccelle, J Jones, L Edwards and Barrass gone.

Plus Gaff retired, And younger delistings.

If we trade and cut deep we will need some experience coming in. As cheaply as possible.
Hunt filled a position of clear need at the time. Graham does not.

There’s a reason why the Richmond board is happy he is going.

We aren’t obligated to cut deep. I would rather we keep guys like trew or baker over getting graham.

He is not a positional need. We have so many other urgent issues on our list.

Current players I would rather see get games as inside mid ahead of him are Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey, 2024 first pick, Hewett. Plus youth like Hall, Trew. And we still have sheed on the list for next year.

He is not a positional need. We have so many other urgent issues on our list.

Current players I would rather see get games as inside mid ahead of him are Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Ginbey, 2024 first pick, Hewett. Plus youth like Hall, Trew. And we still have sheed on the list for next year.
And Sheed is a better player then Graham too . Different style but much better footballer

What makes you think that? Bolton involved?
Just simply that we may be looking to split our pick or bring forward our future 1st. They could potentially have a very strong draft hand if all of the players being mentioned in the media are actually traded out.

They would surely be looking to upgrade picks or trade some of them into the future and so may be in the market for some of our picks.

I was bringing it up in terms of the team position when they left. Hunt left a top team when he wasnt getting a game. Graham leaving a wooden spooner

I know what you meant

But Graham was getting games in and played in 2 premiership teams, which makes your point redundant

I know what you meant

But Graham was getting games in and played in 2 premiership teams, which makes your point redundant
Players do regress though and Graham 100% fits that bill.

Based on your logic, Sheed should be playing week in week out no? He was a vital cog in our 2018 flag so that should mean he plays yeah?

A good top 30 but a few out of place IMO. I believe the AFL are finalising the DVI/NGA etc changes today so stay tuned.
Agreed, It is a pretty good rankings, but I can't have FOS at 2 it's starting to annoy me. He's done nothing this year, nothing!!!
From a WCE POV, he's way too dangerous to take at pick 2/3 for us if we use it there and don't trade/split. Only have to look at the slow burn Chesser has been (good underager but interrupted u18s year), we simply can't afford not to nail that pick or split.

I'd much prefer a player that has had a very good u18s year at that pick - Draper, Jagga, Smillie or Reid!

If we split and got him at pick 5 or 6, I'd be more comfortable with that as we get another talented player to mitigate that risk.

Don't get me wrong, he's got loads of talent. Just haven't seen it much at all this year!

Players do regress though and Graham 100% fits that bill.

Based on your logic, Sheed should be playing week in week out no? He was a vital cog in our 2018 flag so that should mean he plays yeah?

Ha possibly clutching at straws?

My original point was that folks sooked about the Hunt recruitment at the time too and that's turned out OK. I'm not sure Graham for free is worth wetting the bed over.

He's played every game he's not been injured this year. And the last 3 years he's played 20+ games in each of those. He's hardly a fringe player or someone about to be delisted

English would improve the team in an area that is greatly needed. He would cost no draft captial. No brainer.

Baker would cost too much. Would prefer Graham to him for the above English reasons.

Only situation the club should entertain Baker should be if they get end of first round concessions from the AFL that must be traded for players.
English costs big salary cap space, a list spot and game time for someone we should target like reidy- moyle- knobel .he won't even improve hitouts to advantage by 10% on what we currently have

Baker costs us a 2nd rounder at minimum and worst case dilutes our first pick. That's Baker at the expense of a gun midfielder or a kpb who we desperately need if barass leaves

Graham is free for a reason. It's like Flynn last year. His club would rather get compensation that offer him a contract- red flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back