List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 57 19.0%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 86 28.7%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think we were ever linked to him in the media or at club level. A couple of our posters to their credit saw the potential and went early on him as a good pick up and many (myself included) got onboard. Would still like to explore it. Shit if we’re giving up our 2R I’d rather it on someone in his age bracket than Baker’s.
Dearly hope we are exploring it, pretty talented contested mid who can't crack a game at Gold Coast because of deep midfield. I saw they offered him a 2 year extension, surely would be easy to lure with game time and he'd cost relatively low amount given he can't crack a game.

I think it's weird they're talking about bringing in Graham when we don't even have a coach for next year. What if he doesn't fit into the next coach's vision?

Now is the time that negotiations with players and their managers are taking place ahead of the trade period

A decision on the new coach won’t come before the end of the season and may not come until after the GF depending on the candidate(s) we’re interested in

So the list management team can’t be waiting on the appointment of the new coach before dealing with players as it’d be too late

The incoming coach might have some say in who gets delisted after he’s appointed

I have been told Harry Edwards has been offered 4 years at Melbourne on decent money.

TB and the club have mutually come to an agreement to part ways, which is sad in itself, but will hopefully will assist in fast tracking this rebuild with multiple draft picks.

We really can't afford to lose both, but in a doomsday scenario that we do, we would ideally bring English in as a FA to ruck and I think we would have to experiment with Bailey Williams down back.

If English is rucking, Jack Williams has shown more than enough to suggest he is our Forward/Ruck moving forward, meaning Bailey needs to find another role. Rory Lobb has shown success going from a Forward/Ruck to a CHB and is equally as maligned as what Bailey is.

If we manage to keep Harry then I would be looking to ship Bailey off for whatever we can get.

Depth in the squad? We are fricken the worst team in AFL history at this point. What are we gathering depth for? A flag push?

Many younger and better players exist that we should be pushing for. We should try to sign them instead of a list clogger
What a weird position to take; we aren't in the hunt for a flag, so let's have no depth?

I have been told Harry Edwards has been offered 4 years at Melbourne on decent money.

TB and the club have mutually come to an agreement to part ways, which is sad in itself, but will hopefully will assist in fast tracking this rebuild with multiple draft picks.

We really can't afford to lose both, but in a doomsday scenario that we do, we would ideally bring English in as a FA to ruck and I think we would have to experiment with Bailey Williams down back.

If English is rucking, Jack Williams has shown more than enough to suggest he is our Forward/Ruck moving forward, meaning Bailey needs to find another role. Rory Lobb has shown success going from a Forward/Ruck to a CHB and is equally as maligned as what Bailey is.

If we manage to keep Harry then I would be looking to ship Bailey off for whatever we can get.
Williams would get murdered as a defender.

I think Edwards just realising if TB goes, he is needed so is just pushing for the biggest contract he can get which is fair enough.

If Edwards does go, then the scenario is to ask for Granger-Barass from Hawks, throw some coin at Busslinger and get on our hands and knees to beg or simply offer Adam Tomlinson a 2 year deal and let him play til someone else is ready. Id also probably look at Lewis Young from Carlton too. Many options to take. Given our current strategy though we probably offer Joel Hamling a 3 year deal

Last edited:
I'm ok with Jack Graham.

Last few years he's been good for ~17 touches, 5 tackles and 1 goal + goal assist a game. Would take that over half the kids that are no longer kids that we have who are useles.

We need to move out some of the oldies, Gaff, Sheed? and some younger types like Luke Edwards, Jack Petreculle, Jai Culley types that aren't good enough, but we can't just load up on kids. Need a few senior bodies in there.

If we can add Graham and English for free, it helps. Can still get plenty of kids in.

We get Flynn in but with poor injury record. How about Jack Graham? Heard that his injury record is not that good.

What a weird position to take; we aren't in the hunt for a flag, so let's have no depth?
Lets have young depth, not old depth is the exact path to take.

I want a 22-23 year old. And yes that would include Dev Robertson over Graham for example. It would also include Jack Carroll. It would include Riley Garcia, Alex Davies, Angus Sheldrick,

Lets pretend 27 year olds are ideal. Id also prefer Will Brodie. Someone whose more proven and less injury prone too.

Last edited:
Slept on it and while I wouldn’t have went out and got him he does feel a need for us. We have not much in the big body tackling cba players.

Reading his trade board some of the Tigers fans description of him is promising. Leader, hard worker and will give his all which we don’t have a lot of.

Really do hope this is part of a Baker deal and the band has been levelled up so we pay less. Will still be a 2nd rounder or will be red flagged by the AFL. We will have money to spend.

Plays straight away (if not injured). Yze did say he would love to known from his players around now if they planned to leave. So makes sense why it’s starting to get leaked.

Now just need Freo to lock in Bolton and that probably takes them out of the Warner stakes and leaves that between us and Sydney. Downside with Shai they will be a legit contender for a long time.

Let Clarke cook.
Graham *
English 50/50 could have TB money ti play with to get it over the line and front end.
Baker 50/50
Garcia linked
Carroll linked
Sid*
Travagalia*

I think all play in our best 23 next year rd1 along with Hewett and only TB goes out, with hopefully HEdwarda locked in and ready to go. (Probably B Williams).

That’s how you get competitive fast while also having an eye to the future.

**** there are some real negative nancys on here.

Refreshing to read a post with a positive outlook.

**** there are some real negative nancys on here.

Refreshing to read a post with a positive outlook.
Blind optimism is all it is.

A positive outlook? We are 3 years into the abyss here. Lets not pretend we have positivity surrounding us. We do have a very little bit of it. Jack Graham isnt a part of that little bit. Just like Liam Baker wont be either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams would get murdered as a defender.

I think Edwards just realising if TB goes, he is needed so is just pushing for the biggest contract he can get which is fair enough.

If Edwards does go, then the scenario is to ask for Granger-Barass from Hawks, throw some coin at Busslinger and get on our hands and knees to beg or simply offer Adam Tomlinson a 2 year deal and let him play til someone else is ready. Many options to take. Given our current strategy though we probably offer Joel Hamling a 3 year deal
I rekon we would have said the same thing about Lobb 6 weeks ago as well.

IF we lose Harry and TB, then we need to try something. Ideally Busslinger would come home, but considering he has signed for 2 more years, only 3 weeks ago, that seems unlikely.

That leaves us with a 33 year old Gov, Bazzo after two majorly interrupted seasons and Jamo, who even knows what he is.

If we land English, we will have English, Flynn, Barnett, Livingston as rucks, JWilliams, BWilliams, Archer Reid as Forward/Rucks.

At least one of that crew would need to be trialled down back and relistically BWilliams and Barnett are probably the only two that I can see that happening for.

I was trying to think whether there is some trickery going on with the compo formula to help us get Baker but I think its doubtful.
Surely if we have put an offer in front of him then thats the offer. If Baker turns around and selects Freo as his preferred destination or decides to stay, what then? We rescind the offer?
If that happens not only have we overpaid for a player but we have diluted our own draft hand. So unless Baker has told us privately already that he wants to come to us and the deal has already been worked out (doubtful) then I can't see how this could be part any deal.
The fact that we have put an offer out this early before any trades or delistings have been finalised indicates that we have actually targeted him which is a bit surprising.

I'll keep an open mind at this stage but I hope Clarke has more up his sleeve then Jack Graham.
Personally think a Carol, Garcia, Dev younger type with some upside would've been preferable.

A positive outlook? We are 3 years into the abyss here. Lets not pretend we have positivity surrounding us. We do have a very little bit of it. Jack Graham isnt a part of that little bit. Just like Liam Baker wont be either

But checks notes Adam Tomlinson, Lewis Young and Will Brodie would be?

I rekon we would have said the same thing about Lobb 6 weeks ago as well.

IF we lose Harry and TB, then we need to try something. Ideally Busslinger would come home, but considering he has signed for 2 more years, only 3 weeks ago, that seems unlikely.

That leaves us with a 33 year old Gov, Bazzo after two majorly interrupted seasons and Jamo, who even knows what he is.

If we land English, we will have English, Flynn, Barnett, Livingston as rucks, JWilliams, BWilliams, Archer Reid as Forward/Rucks.

At least one of that crew would need to be trialled down back and relistically BWilliams and Barnett are probably the only two that I can see that happening for.
You would have plenty of options besides that. Id be more inclined to still get rid of Bailey Williams and run with a proven defender then just throw some random dude down there cos he is on our list.

We should have a fair bit of money + whatever we get for Harry Edwards in a trade to work with

But checks notes Adam Tomlinson, Lewis Young and Will Brodie would be?
Lewis Young/Adam Tomlinson would be horrible signings but id prefer it to nothing. 99.99% sure we could do better then my terrible suggestions though :D

Will Brodie > Jack Graham every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Streets ahead of Graham

We’d have rocks in our heads if we let H Edwards go, especially with Barrass seemingly out the door. Has shown plenty this last month especially. Get it done

I don't think we have any intention of letting him go, but he's uncontracted so we might not have a choice.

It was a mistake to leave him unsigned for so long, but to he fair, half this board wanted him delisted a month ago

Signing Jack Graham is not blind optimism. It’s offseason 1 of Clarke and trying to make the team better with players available otherwise we end up here again in 12 months.

There’s a significant gap in the list in his age profile and playing on weekends.

One aspect of picking up Jack Graham is. If he wants to join our rookie list on a 1 year deal, then im all for it.

A main list move on whats likely going to be a 3/4 year deal. Thats where the issue truly lies

Signing Jack Graham is not blind optimism. It’s offseason 1 of Clarke and trying to make the team better with players available otherwise we end up here again in 12 months.

There’s a significant gap in the list in his age profile and playing on weekends.
You need to sign talented players still. Cant just pick a dude cos you like his date of birth.

If we are getting a 26/27 year old at this point of our rebuild they sure as shit better be in our top 10 players AND be certain to be in our best 22 when they are 30. Graham fits none of this. A guy like Tim English would hence why he is a okay pickup compared to your Jack Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back